Quantcast

bombshell vs mavic vs sun rims

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
i cant decide what to go with. they are the same price to and about the same weight. so what should it be.
the Bombshell Fat Boy Rim or the Mavic XM 321 or the
Sun Ringle Mammoth DH rim?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Considering the XM321s are all mountain trail bike rims they are not close to the big mammoth rim at all. Depending on what you are going to ride depends on rims to buy. Remember the old DH 321s are now 729s and the XM 321s are just trail bike rims now.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Don't quote me on this but it seems like the mammoth rims are single wall, maybe not but there's something about them that makes them build into a poopey wheel. I'd suggest Sun Rhynolite XL's if you're looking for a trail/light FR bike wheel, they're about as cheap as you can get without buying crap. Otherwise of the three choices I'd get the mavics.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Kornphlake said:
Don't quote me on this but it seems like the mammoth rims are single wall, maybe not but there's something about them that makes them build into a poopey wheel. I'd suggest Sun Rhynolite XL's if you're looking for a trail/light FR bike wheel, they're about as cheap as you can get without buying crap. Otherwise of the three choices I'd get the mavics.
The Mammoth is double walled but with a single eyelet. They are also pinned, not welded.
I agree woth the Rhynolite XL. I am ~230 and used regular Rhynolites on my DH bike for a while. They held up better than I thought they would. They had a ton of small flat spots, but none were so bad that the rim was usless, and nothing flatted so much that I could't tension it.

You will kill the Mammoth. Just save up and get Mavic 729's (old 321). The 521 is nice ( or whatever its called now), but only has single eyelets that tend to break with time when used with discs. Mavic will not warranty them if used with discs.

What kind of riding do you do? I can't believe that hasn't been asked yet!

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
well i got me my new Banshee Scream frame and i have to build it up as cheap as i can cause i got laid off from my shop and i have no money and i only can get some what decent deals now. so i pretty much just do freeriding and i race when i can. and i weigh about 160. but hey thanks for the input so far.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Repack said:
The 521 is nice ( or whatever its called now), but only has single eyelets that tend to break with time when used with discs. Mavic will not warranty them if used with discs.
Really? That seems a little ridiculous considering NO ONE uses rim brakes anymore with a rim that heavy except trials riders.

I was thinking of them for my next trail bike too...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd go for a Sun Rhino Lite XL- I just got a pair and they're unbelievabley light (I thought they were tanks) and they're not too pricey. The problem w/ Mavic rims is the metal is a very soft compound. Sun Ringle makes the best rims IMHO.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Silver said:
Really? That seems a little ridiculous considering NO ONE uses rim brakes anymore with a rim that heavy except trials riders.

I was thinking of them for my next trail bike too...
Very sad, but true. In my experience, it seems that you can get at least one season out of the 521 w/ discs. More often it is 2+ seasons, but I would say you can count on 1 season, excluding a super nasty crash. If you are happy with 1 season out of a rim, then I would say go for it. If you are light weight and/or smooth, they should last you much longer. The only 521's with cracked eyelets that I have seen have all been at least 2 years old and were ridden heavily. I guess that you should keep in mind the fact that the 521 was designed when DH bikes used rim brakes. Too bad Mavic doesn't get with the times and realize that there is a big market for narrower rims with DH strength.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Repack said:
Very sad, but true. In my experience, it seems that you can get at least one season out of the 521 w/ discs. More often it is 2+ seasons, but I would say you can count on 1 season, excluding a super nasty crash. If you are happy with 1 season out of a rim, then I would say go for it. If you are light weight and/or smooth, they should last you much longer. The only 521's with cracked eyelets that I have seen have all been at least 2 years old and were ridden heavily. I guess that you should keep in mind the fact that the 521 was designed when DH bikes used rim brakes. Too bad Mavic doesn't get with the times and realize that there is a big market for narrower rims with DH strength.
I may just go with Rhynolite XL's then. I got a good 8 months out of my first front wheel built with one before it folded like a cheap suit, and they are cheap enough rims that I'm not going to pull my hair out when I bend one. D321s on a Heckler are probably overkill...

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
well i might fo with the macivs. but where i ride it is more or less one giant rock garden down here. but i dont ride super hard or anything.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
according to one of the more reputed wheel builders around these parts you've got it backwards hucker13. Mavic makes better rims with stiffer aluminum. I tend to agree. 521's in particular build into one of the best strength to weight to price ratios around.

All rocks? My advice is to get the wheels built by the best guy around and get them back up to tension and true once broken in, and get the right tyres for the job. In this case i'd say maxxis dual ply or irc kujo will get you through those rocks easily, though depending on your build/style/weight/etc, may be overkill. Also depending on the rock composition in your area grip may be a guessing game so you might want to play around with durometers, brands, tyre pressure and supension settings.

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
yeah i got the tire down. cause the rock here is super cheese grader and is so rouch you can runthe hardest tires you can find and super high air pressire and its all good. but yeah i think i might go with the mavic's

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
do not go with the mammoths. i am a 140 lb. kid and i warped them to the point of rubbing the RIM (not tire) on the frame in a week of bunnyhopping everything in sight

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Repack said:
Rhynolite XL's would make more sense on a Heckler than 321/729's.
Gonna Have to agree with Rpack on this. 321/729's are overkill on a Heckler.

Rhynolite Xl's are like Altoids, curiously strong:D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Zark said:
Gonna Have to agree with Rpack on this. 321/729's are overkill on a Heckler.

Rhynolite Xl's are like Altoids, curiously strong:D
I am an Altoid adict and have had Rhynolites (the regular machined/welded ones) on my trail bike for 3 years. I have also done a fair amount of dirtjumping on them. I give them a 5-Star for trail use, and a "use at your own risk" if you want to use the bike for serious DH. But like I said earlier, for how lite a rim it is compared to many of the full-on dh rims available, they held up well.

A word of caution: I don't know about now, but I remember a few years ago when a bunch of m.o. companies were selling Rhynolite/XT wheel packages for like $140. Don't get burned like some of my friends did. The Rhynolites that came with that deal were a lower grade aluminum, pinned, and not machined. It was like a Mammoth in Rhynolite clothing. They lasted about a week. Not to mention that they were about the worst built wheels that I have ever seen.