Quantcast

Bikes like the Covert?? HELP :)

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
I've been really trying to find a used Covert to little avail. There are some, but they get snagged up pretty quick and I'm a size M, which is pretty common. Wondering if folks can recommend a comparable do-it-all kind of bike. Where I live the climbing is tough (root-y as hell) and the downhills are equally pretty rough..So I definitely like the beefiness of the Covert. Any similar bikes out there? I've been out of the game a few years, sticking to my HT..Time for a change. Thanks!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I love my Specialized SJ Evo, somewhat similar to the Covert 150mm of travel, 67* HA, 73ish* seat tub angle, BB height is 13.2" on the SJ vs 13.9" on the covert, longer wheelbase on the Covert for a Medium, longer stack/reach on the SJ vs the covert.. Maybe not as "beefy" as the covert, but I'm told the '12s are stiffer than the '11s(which are known for having a noodly rear-end). Personally, it's plenty stiff for my purposes and I'm a big dude(6'4" 230lbs) MSRP on the cover is $1600 vs $2000 on the SJ evo, so I'm sure that will have something to do w/your decision. My old bike was Ironhorse Mk3 which I loved, it pedaled better than the SJ, but the SJ kills it when the going gets rough. I also like the geometry better, the long top tube and short rear end makes for a fun bike that's super easy to manual/wheelie over stuff. Just my 2 cents. Take a look at the Santa Cruz Nickel/Butcher, Devinci Dixon, I'm sure others will chime in..

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
+1 for the SJ EVO. Its probably the best all around bike I have ever owned. Unfortunately last I heard the frame only option was sold out until mid summer.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
When I finally decided to put my Spitfire out to pasture, I was looking around real hard for a large SJ EVO frame, but never did find one. My wish list was ~66/67 HA, 13" BB, 23.5" or 24" TT, < 19" seat tube, 17" CS, dropper post cable guides, chain guide tabs, tapered HT, < 7 lb frame (with shock), 72/73* STA, can run a 160 mm fork, and 5" of travel. After looking around at tons of different options, I ended up with a large SC Butcher, which I got for $900 still in the box. Didn't make the rear travel, weight or BB height goals, but hit on everything else. Once built up with a Van 36, the BB actually measured lower than advertised (which is odd, as SC site claims 13.8" with a 529 mm A2C fork) as it came in a scooch over 13.5", which is pretty reasonable for a 150 mm bike. Just recently put in one offset bushing and I'd say it's pretty close to a 67* HA, and now around 13.4" BB height. Bike pedals fine, and I'd say better than my Spitty, and even seems to have a respectable amount of pop. Feels plenty stiff, and I like the simplicity of a rate modfied single pivot design. Wish it was a little lighter, and I may have gone after a Nickel and thrown some offset bushings in there, but not having chainguide tabs really irked me. All in all, I'm really happy with it, and for $900, it was too good of a deal to pass up. FWIW, the other frame I was lusting after was the Blur TRc, but those don't seem to show up often (used) and would've likely meant needing a new fork.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
There are a ton of bikes in the same category as the Covert - Santa Cruz Nomad, Blur LT, and Butcher, Intense Tracer, Yeti 575 and SB66, Specialized SJ and Enduro, Devinci Dixon, Trek Remedy, Cannondale Jekyll, Commencal Meta, Ibis Mojo HD, Giant Reign, Rocky Mountain Slayer, and the list goes on. Even more choices if you are in the UK or Europe. Pick one, they're all pretty damn good.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
There are a ton of bikes in the same category as the Covert - Santa Cruz Nomad, Blur LT, and Butcher, Intense Tracer, Yeti 575 and SB66, Specialized SJ and Enduro, Devinci Dixon, Trek Remedy, Cannondale Jekyll, Commencal Meta, Ibis Mojo HD, Giant Reign, Rocky Mountain Slayer, and the list goes on. Even more choices if you are in the UK or Europe. Pick one, they're all pretty damn good.
Fail. All of the above are cumbersome, overwrought, exercises in excess. The OP needs to step up and simplify with this study in aggro-elegance:

Rails corners - check
Big step downs - no problem
Tight & Twisty singletrack - Pfft, ninja please
Manual/Wheelie - you don't even need a front wheel
Dirt jumps - go ahead and throw away your cruiser
DH lines - Tyler would've won Psychosis by 5-10 minutes if was riding this rock crusher

In short, it does everything better than anything.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Haha thanks a lot folks! Super helpful advice. I was thinking about the Bandit, but I can't find any anywhere used. I actually had a Nomad for a few weeks. I liked the bike, but it didn't have the kind of nimbleness I was hoping for..Not sure if the Covert would have that anyway. So I sold the Nomad and continued using my hardtail. I'll check out those options. Thanks!

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Also, any thoughts on 4X bikes for the same of climbing and bombing downhill or is the head angle too much? Thinking like the Blur 4X, which has been discussed a great do-it-all bike, or the Commencal Meta 4X

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I absolutely love my SJ Evo. If I had to keep one bike it would definitely be the one. It's been a revelation and has made a downhiller that hadn't trail ridden in about 12 years fall in love with it all over again (despite having watered-down/non-progressive trail riding since I live in Massachusetts). The wheelbase and reach were shortened considerably compared to the similarly sized Pitch's which allows the bike to really handle technical corners and flatter terrain really well. It's just super fun/poppy and is really at home at speed in tight places. Also, the rear end of the bike was beefed up a considerable amount between the 2012 and 2011's. I had heard some people say there was a wee bit of flex in the 2011's, but at 6'3" pushing 200lbs with gear I haven't noticed any flexing between the new stay designs and 142mm axle.

The only thing I've had to learn to deal with is the super low BB. I definitely have to pay attention to my cadence and pedaling habits to reduce pedal strikes. A higher BB would also help on some of the technical/bony climbs I've been on, but I suppose that is why the regular Stumpjumper exists.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I absolutely love my SJ Evo. If I had to keep one bike it would definitely be the one. It's been a revelation and has made a downhiller that hadn't trail ridden in about 12 years fall in love with it all over again (despite having watered-down/non-progressive trail riding since I live in Massachusetts). The wheelbase and reach were shortened considerably compared to the similarly sized Pitch's which allows the bike to really handle technical corners and flatter terrain really well. It's just super fun/poppy and is really at home at speed in tight places. Also, the rear end of the bike was beefed up a considerable amount between the 2012 and 2011's. I had heard some people say there was a wee bit of flex in the 2011's, but at 6'3" pushing 200lbs with gear I haven't noticed any flexing between the new stay designs and 142mm axle.

[bold]The only thing I've had to learn to deal with is the super low BB. I definitely have to pay attention to my cadence and pedaling habits to reduce pedal strikes. A higher BB would also help on some of the technical/bony climbs I've been on, but I suppose that is why the regular Stumpjumper exists.[/bold]
Totally agree w/everything you said, also bolded what you said about the bb height.. Def. agree it's a change in pedaling habit/riding style, you just gotta pick your strokes a little bit more consciously.. I'm actually surprised that Specialized specs the complete Med/Large/XL with 175mm length cranks.