Quantcast

Bikes and Planes..

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
I am leaving for whistler on monday.. i am taking a direct flight outta boston to vancouver what would you guys recommend, the bike cases i can get i was just wondering what u would think of a cardboard box on a direct flight.

Would the bikes still get messed up and stuff? How have you people flown ur bikes, thanks, Mike

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
DHJUNKIE said:
I am leaving for whistler on monday.. i am taking a direct flight outta boston to vancouver what would you guys recommend, the bike cases i can get i was just wondering what u would think of a cardboard box on a direct flight.

Would the bikes still get messed up and stuff? How have you people flown ur bikes, thanks, Mike
I've put my bike in a box no problems, Japan to Germany via Hong Kong with domestic flights thrown in....no real problems, just make sure it's packed properly in a proper bike box.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and beware that the airline will likely charge you $50 or $75 each way to ship a bike in a bike box (cardboard is fine), and won't ship it in any other packaging.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
If you're flying United, you can get 2 free one way passes from USAcycling.org, if you're a NORBA member. You can also buy 10 packs for $250 I believe.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
aer lingus is fairly reasonable on the charges; $20 each way, from dublin to geneva.

dhjunkie, i've used a cardboard box plenty of times w/ no issues. although both times i've shipped a bike w/ dual crown forks, i've had to take the fork off the bike for it to fit in the boxes.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've heard, never tried but I figured I'd throw it out there, that if you tell them it's bike parts instead of a whole bike they waive that charge. The airline people can't care that much, so it might be worth a try

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
This year I have bought a Crateworks box but I have before used a cardboard bike box. If you do that I can recommend that you buy a roll of duck tape and reinforce the box with that. I did that on my last trip and the box was in much better shape this time and you can also bring it to fix the box for the trip back.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you use a cardboard box, double it up at certain spots you would think could get damaged. When you're packing your bike, make sure you go a little overkill. You never know.