Quantcast

Bike Magazine is looking for a web editor...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hey guys -

Just thought I'd post this here in case any monkeys are interested. Bike Mag is looking for a new online editor and it'd be a great opportunity for someone, not to mention pretty cool to hire right out of our own community.

Here's the link to apply for the position. If you give it a shot, shoot me a PM or an email (binaryvisions at ridemonkey) and let me know!

https://www4.recruitingcenter.net/Clients/sourceinterlink/PublicJobs/controller.cfm?jbaction=JobProfile&Job_Id=15022&esid=az

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Here's the full job description:

Position Description:

Bike Magazine is seeking a seasoned, passionate mountain biker with a voracious appetite for mountain bike news, developments, contests and videos, and is in tune with content posted on competing websites. Duties include, but are not limited to:
  • Responsible for planning and executing daily editorial rollout, developing team of digital staffers and setting overall direction of the Bikemag.com website.
  • Manage Bike's social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
  • Develop strategies to grow Bike's social media presence and tie these platforms into a cohesive identity that is synonymous with bikemag.com and the magazine.
  • Assign and edit editorial contributions from the team, establish a high level of quality to help attract readership, optimize for search engines.
  • Work with website production staff to coordinate content rollout and provide feedback to product team to help improve/develop site to better attract users.
  • Establish and monitor the editorial financial budget and manage freelance editorial contributors when appropriate.
  • Write features, columns and other appropriate editorial as needed for bikemag.com.
  • Represent Bike at local, national and international trade shows and events to help build strong links with readers and the industry.
  • Other duties and tasks as assigned, including possible video standup work

Education/Experience:

• Journalism or English degree desired
  • Previous experience as an editor in a publishing environment, or equivalent education and experience
  • Previous experience managing staff
  • Strong photo editing/handling skills preferred

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:

• Excellent writer and editor able to communicate complex issues in lively, clear, and concise prose.
  • Language skills suitable for a professional publishing position, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation, plus proofreading and copyediting capabilities.
  • Strong organizational and time-management skills
  • Able to work quickly and meet short deadlines.
  • Knowledge of mountain-bike industry.
  • Video production/shooting skills a plus.
  • Previous work on a high volume website a plus.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have none of the above, but have strong technical writing skills, and can operate spell check and see right through industry bullshit. am i qualified?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i have none of the above, but have strong technical writing skills, and can operate spell check and see right through industry bullshit. am i qualified?
The worst they can possibly say is no, right? :monkeydance:

If PSP makes it to the interview stage, I'm turning the admin duties over to jonKranked and living out the rest of my days as a hermit in a tree house.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I nominate Kidwoo. For realz. Because this is a requirement, and his articles are rad:
"Write features, columns and other appropriate editorial as needed for..."

Not that a bright guy like him would be busy or anything...

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If enough of us nominate someone, does that mean they have to do it?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Sounds like a cool opportunity. I'm a writer/editor/creative director/webmaster; just wish I was about half my age and able to live on half my present income in a part of the country that costs twice as much to live.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I nominate Kidwoo. For realz. Because this is a requirement, and his articles are rad:
"Write features, columns and other appropriate editorial as needed for..."

Not that a bright guy like him would be busy or anything...
Haha, thanks for the vote.

It's in Carlsbad though. No go. I like riding bikes in the woods too much......which makes me a horrible candidate for a job with a mountainbike magazine.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Hey - thanks for sharing! If they really wanted to get the word out they should do something like place giant header on this site advertising the position...

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
sow maney not now how to right thow plase betz on monkeeyz

back in the day of mags that had great pictures, too much crap about the soul of mtn biking..
Looking back i'll take an extra helping of crap over mba

Last edited:

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I got thinking Canada is letting me pass their boarder test anytime soon, I just realized how many maple trees I brought down It won't happen I pass the offer onto the next mountie.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
It would lose some of the point of the position. You need the real-time collaboration with the rest of the editorial/creative team; plus, you'd miss out on what would have to be a pretty cool workplace vibe.
That's a totally fair and valid point. Working with the team at Bike would be amazing. I hold that magazine in exceptionally high esteem.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It would lose some of the point of the position. You need the real-time collaboration with the rest of the editorial/creative team; plus, you'd miss out on what would have to be a pretty cool workplace vibe.

Not to mention the meth and heroin.