Quantcast

best zip ties for racing?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
so what zip ties are the best for racing? i want to use the smaller ones to save weight but i dont know if they can stand up to the rigors of racing DH. i mean i huck sometimes too and i dont want my cables to come loose when im goin big. also what is the most efficient way to route the cables so that they wont slow me down in the corners? i race beginner class and i want to get all the advantage over those stupid sandbaggers who should be in sport!

Aug 28, 2007
zip ties hardly wieght anyhtng so i wouldnt worry about the weight, i would rather have something a bit heavy and never fail. We have a bag of zip ties that have metal inside them so they are really strong. one thing to look for, the part on the zip tie that locks, its a little tab on the head the allows the zip tie to only tighten and not loosen, look for the metal ones and not a plastic locking piece. its ahrd to explain but if its not clear i can take a pic.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Home Depot has a nice brand. I can remember the name. They use a little metal spring instead of the plastic tab. They're also really heavy duty.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
zip ties hardly wieght anyhtng so i wouldnt worry about the weight, i would rather have something a bit heavy and never fail. We have a bag of zip ties that have metal inside them so they are really strong. one thing to look for, the part on the zip tie that locks, its a little tab on the head the allows the zip tie to only tighten and not loosen, look for the metal ones and not a plastic locking piece. its ahrd to explain but if its not clear i can take a pic.

yeah but those sound like they are made more for freeride. you sure they wont slow me down on the race course? also, i heard from a friend of mine who is friends with a guy who knows a guy who is room mates with DW's uncle and he said that blue zip ties are faster than clear ones.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Blues are nice, but the red ones are the fastester.

Or, you could go high tech and wrap a ti spoke in it's place. Just clip off the excess after wrapping and bending. But it's hard to find red ti spokes, so maybe that's not an option...

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
yall are idiots. its pink ties!!!! the hot pink ones make you faster. thats the reason i dont use them cause they make you TO fast. my favourite way of routing cables is cutting them off at the caliper and the lever and throwing them away nothing to worry about then

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
orange ones are faster, the color cuts through the air better and you drill speed holes in them to make them lighter, sam hill would run them but then everyone would think hes a sandbagger because he would win by over 10 seconds.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This post makes my brain hurt :(

If you need zip ties, it means you're running brake lines and shifter lines. Those things are for girly men. Remove your brakes, run a 4:1 ratio single speed and go faster.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Duhhh guys, he's just getting you going, just like the presta verses shrader forum...

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I can shave weight by using fishing line, zip ties are heavy
Damn thats a good idea, now im going to dominate the world cup.

Edit: on the top of weight does anyone know the best way to drill speed holes in you stantchions and also drill holes in your tires, of wait, who need tires, the fastest guys ride on rims, brakes, who needs those same with the drivetrain gears are for pu$$ys, hell who needs bars, just hold on to the stem.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I pity the fool running fishing line.
Be a man and run fishing hooks.

They also work great for keeping your feet on the pedals when you run a Supermonster on a hardtail.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i dont understand speed holes, the sharp edges clearly should add drag. im going to put an e 13 with speed holes in a fluid flow analysis program (cf design) tomorrow afternoon i think the drag will slow u down more then the added weight.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
so can we get some word from DW on this subject? and i heard about those prototype carbon ones that sam hill(is GOD!) has been running. any word on when they will be out. i here they have the tensile strenth of the cables on the golden gate but weigh .0234 grams

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I found hose clamps work well to secure my small zip ties(without the heavy metal piece).

They also work great as a travel indicator on your stanction. Just make sure its really tight so it doesn't fall off.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Just when I thought Ridemonkey was starting to lose its serious racer side with good information everyone could benefit from this thread arrives. Thank you for restoring my faith in Ridemonkey.:clapping:

I am off to the store to get some new zip ties to replace my black ones. I knew something was slowing my down this past season and now I know. To think I gave away my safety orange zipties:disgust1:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Screw the zip ties. If you want to go faster just kill or render unconscious your nearest competitor, then remove their Achilles tendons. Use the tendons to secure your cables. This will improve your speed as well as strike fear into your competition.

If that does not work coat yourself from head to toe in Vaseline to reduce wind drag.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yet again rm comes threw with another wonderfully pointless thread, still manages to get way to many serious post out of it, and still is able to pull threw with 3 pages of mindless chatter. way to go lovebunny i now have a new hero.:clapping: