Quantcast

Best Freeride full susser at resonable price>??

Konaowner

Chimp
Jul 6, 2004
Hey

I am buying into the freeride market and i am going to buy a frame.

So far these have been suggested. What do you think is the best and any others to consider?

-2003 big hit DH
-Stinkys 03-04
-Ellsworth joker 04
-Giant AC1 03
-Rm6 04
-Iron horse SGS 04

ANy others whats the best.

Cheers guys. look forward to your response

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Azonic Sabers are reasonably nice.

Do you have any idea what geometry/weight/design/features you prefer? Otherwise, this is a fairly silly name-game we're playing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Reasonable price, and yet an RM6 and Ellsworth Joker was thrown on the list?

You need to define a specific price range and possibly your needs from the frame.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Affordable...

-Bullit
-Big Hit
-Stinky ( you should be able to snag a '04 primo (full saint super t really cheap they had a blow out real recently)
-Norco Shore
-Iron Horse SGS

Not so affordable...... but very nice

-Yeti ASX
-VpFree
-Foes Fly
-Demo 9

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
for a frame only the AS-X isn't too much more than a bullit, at least they weren't last year, they were within $50 of each other. About the same as an Azonic Saber as well.

What are you really looking for, I'd call the AS-X, Bullit, and others big hit bikes, they're certainly in a different class than something like the giant AC. Not that one bike is better than another, if you're looking to do big hucks I'd definately go with something that will build up heavier, for riding ski resorts something like an AC would be fine, unless of course you ride frequently at a resort like whistler where you're doing a lot of hucks. Big bear or the equivalent would be just fine for something like an AC or a Heckler. If freeriding to you means pedaling up hills and riding down a different way that's more technical or has a few jumps and drops then I'd suggest a something that's lighter as well. For most people a bike like a foes fly is pretty overkill for pedalling alot.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I absolutely love my Yeti ASX (taking it to Whistler today!). A complete bike with a 7" Sherman is around $2700. However, if budget is more of a concern, go for an Iron Horse from Supergo for about $1750. As for Bighits, they're good bikes, but don't buy one without trying it out, because you wouldn't want to be stuck with the 24" rear wheel if you didn't like it. Exactly how much money do you have?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
cough cough hijack!coughcough ahem, sorry, i had a hijack stuck in my throat.its cool now though

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Echo said:
MSRP's

Bullit $1199
AS-X $1299

Homework son.
I stand corrected!!! I was thinkin the AS-X was 1400 I was 100 bucks off :mumble:

see what an assumption will do....

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
rjw said:
Craftworks FRM125
Dirt cheap, and fairly burly... unfortunately, a few design issues I've come accross with mine.
Seatstay bottoms on seatpost clamp :nope:
Near impossible to fit a chainguide due to pivot/swingarm location :angry:
Swingarm likes to hit front derailleur about 3/4 through the travel, the only way to avoid this is mount the front derailleur so high that it has crappy shifting :dead:

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Out of all the frames/bikes that were suggested I think the big hit, stinky and iron horse give you the most bang for the buck. All 3 models can be had complete for around 1600...not bad for bikes that will take a lot of abuse and offer decent components. I personally think the big hit's one of the better deals because of the lifetime warranty that Specialized offers. More of a peace of mind kind of thing.....

IronDonkey

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
Castle said:
Affordable...

-Bullit
-Big Hit
-Stinky ( you should be able to snag a '04 primo (full saint super t really cheap they had a blow out real recently)
-Norco Shore
-Iron Horse SGS

Not so affordable...... but very nice

-Yeti ASX
-VpFree
-Foes Fly
-Demo 9
Actually, Yeti ASX frames are $1199 SHIPPED, I think that's pretty affordable.

If I had to choose a new FR frame, I'd go with either the ASX or the Bullit, no doubt about it!

rjw

Chimp
Apr 18, 2002
UK
Rik said:
Dirt cheap, and fairly burly... unfortunately, a few design issues I've come accross with mine.
Seatstay bottoms on seatpost clamp :nope:
No problem with my 18" 2003 model, I guess you've got the smaller frame though?

Near impossible to fit a chainguide due to pivot/swingarm location :angry:
Swingarm likes to hit front derailleur about 3/4 through the travel, the only way to avoid this is mount the front derailleur so high that it has crappy shifting :dead:
Never tried a chainguide, but front mech was a bit fiddly to set up, but works fine once you sort it out.