Quantcast

Best Flat Pedal for Someone with Big Feet?

whiteman

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
I've had a search, but couldn't find anything recent.

Alright, so I'm after a new set of pedals. I'm coming off a pair of MG-1's which I found to be wayyyyy too small for my size 13 feet.

I guess the main things I'm after are;
- Nice big platform for my huge size 13 feet,
- Preferably pretty light,
- Easy to rebuild, so they'll hopefully last me a while.

What are your opinions of a pedal that fits into this category? Not too fussed on price at the moment.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've had a search, but couldn't find anything recent.

Alright, so I'm after a new set of pedals. I'm coming off a pair of MG-1's which I found to be wayyyyy too small for my size 13 feet.

I guess the main things I'm after are;
- Nice big platform for my huge size 13 feet,
- Preferably pretty light,
- Easy to rebuild, so they'll hopefully last me a while.

What are your opinions of a pedal that fits into this category? Not too fussed on price at the moment.
Point 1 Podiums have a large platform, are fairly light and durable. They're by far my favorite flat pedals, but I've yet to try Canfields or Spikes. I considered putting my MG-1's on my daughter's bike, because the platform is just a bit bigger than the little (and heavy) pedals her micro mini bmx came with.

nojoke

Chimp
Jul 5, 2011
I like the Answer pedals, worked good all last year for me, I have a "toe out" on my right foot due to an injury so my foot doesnt set straight on the pedal rarely. Held up fine at the local gnar and whistler last year.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
I have Straitlines. They're big enough for me (size 9), but there's definitely bigger pedals out there.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Not impressed with the size of these:

...They make another model. When the op was asking about big pedals, and a company makes 2 sizes, clearly I would be referring to the larger variant. I'm size 13, the straitlines feels great. I haven't seen any that feel bigger, but I do notice they straitlines feel noticeably bigger than anything else I've tried.

whiteman

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
OP, you want these:

I'm around a 12, and the Predators are more than roomy...
The Predators did look very promising. They seems to be the biggest I could find.
Only problem is I live in Aus and everywhere I found them online charges like $60-$70 postage. Although I'm not too fussed on cost nearly $300 is probably pushing it haha

Where do you think is the cheapest place to get a pair from?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a size 12 or 13 in 5-10's and I was using Burgtec pedals and they seemed really good but I snapped an axle and am a bit scared to run them again.

The Acros A-Flat supposedly has a massive platform.

I would suggest a slight chamfer or cutaway on the outer leading edge of the pedal, my Burgtecs would hit something and bite in hard whereas other pedals I have used seem to glace off rocks. The new(ish) DMR pedal looks like an awesome bit of gear but I don't know if they are big enough.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hahaha, you are from Australia, random pedal threads are part of the reason I'm not allowed to play on Rotorburn.

Ask this question there, some numpty will tell you glow in the dark plastic pedals are the ****!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Rouler import 26 and Noskidmarks on here is the Oz distributor for Po1nt gear,hit him up, he also has has the Kowa flats in stock, they look pretty tidy too, Japanese made goodness.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Spank Spikes are nice, I like mine a lot but I have micro feet.

General comment: Bushings... Never again.

The Po1nt Podiums are now on my list. I just need to control the impulse.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
...They make another model. When the op was asking about big pedals, and a company makes 2 sizes, clearly I would be referring to the larger variant. I'm size 13, the straitlines feels great. I haven't seen any that feel bigger, but I do notice they straitlines feel noticeably bigger than anything else I've tried.
Well, I was assuming the Amps were replacing the older design... They're keeping the chunkier one?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I wear a size 12 1/2 skate shoe while riding flats and I recently bought the Kona Wah Wah pedals. Happy with them so far and wont break the bank on price either.

***EDIT*** IF you decide to go with the Wah Wahs then don't try to order them from Cambria Bikes (they've been on back order for weeks). I had to cancel my order through Cambria and then order them from WheelWorld. Had them at my door in under a week.

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I have yet to see predators next to prerunners to compare size, but my Point 1's are noticeably larger than the prerunners.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Okay guys, point1's aren't big. Even if they did have an average platform size. That knob on the inside of the pedal likes to push your foot out.

I run the original straitlines and the platform is decently sized but like one of the guys said above "bushings, never again!". It was promising until i realized a bushing replacement kit costs half the price of a brand new pedal, and the same price as a cheaper pedals.

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I'm doing the same search you are right now. I wear a size 14 5.10 Impact. Been using Tioga MX-Pro pedals for years but am looking for something different now.

Thought the Point1 Podiums would be good for me. Tried a set on a friends bike yesterday and the felt narrow due to the lack of spindle being right up against the crank arm. Glad I didn't buy them.

Going to put my foot on a pair of Twenty6 Prerunners next week and see how those feel. E.13 pedal looks interesting also.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Okay guys, point1's aren't big. Even if they did have an average platform size. That knob on the inside of the pedal likes to push your foot out.

I run the original straitlines and the platform is decently sized but like one of the guys said above "bushings, never again!". It was promising until i realized a bushing replacement kit costs half the price of a brand new pedal, and the same price as a cheaper pedals.
Funny, Ive never had a problem with my Straitlines, and they sent me 2 sets of rebuild parts for bothering to call, so that 5 years later, they run and work better than anything else.

Way better than my 1 yr old Po1nt Podium.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO

Take another look at the Podiums - the bulge is well outside of the platform area (which is just shy of 4" x 4"). That's what I liked about them over the Prerunners - I make use of the entire platform.

As a comparison, MG-1's and Atomlab Trailkings are 3.5 x 3.75, Spec Lo Pro Mags are 3.75 x 3.75.
And on Prerunners, which also have no exposed spindle, by the time I move my foot outboard far enough to miss the chainstay with my heel, about .5" of pedal platform goes untouched.

Pic borrowed from an mtbr thread

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
necro bumping this thread as it's what the search returned as an FYI for those looking for large platform pedals.

I've been using Crankbros Stamp 7 large's on my trail and DH bike and I'd ended up with some Stamp 1 composites on my fat bike that were an emergency purchase.

I never liked the Stamp 1 composite version as it has a large axle bulge across it that doesn't play well with snow/ice build up and the less grippy winter boots I use with them.

Just fitted some Kona Wah Wah 2 composites which are a slightly bigger platform than the Stamp's and I'm a fan of them so far. The composite still has a small axle bulge, no where near as bad as the stamp 1, but the platform is slightly concave, giving much better grip than the composite Stamp 1's.

I'll likely go to the alloy version on trail and DH bikes in the future if I bust the Stamp 7's they've currently got.

(Size 13 in freedum sizes, 47 in yurpeen)

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I’m a size 13 and really dig the Tenet Occults on my DH bike. Using the Deity Deftraps on my trail bike and those are great too. Especially for the money. Both are plenty big for my Sasquatch feet. No axle bulge on either.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd suggest DMR Vaults. I'd argue they feel like they are slightly too big for my size 10US shoes. Too wide mainly. Should fit you well. They also grip like crazy

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No axle bulge on either
Axle bulge only seems to be on composite versions of pedals, Oneup and crankbros both have them, these Kona it doesn't impact at all. Alloy versions don't have them. I use composites on the fatty bike for less heat transfer in freezing rides :)

I'd suggest DMR Vaults. I'd argue they feel like they are slightly too big for my size 10US shoes. Too wide mainly. Should fit you well. They also grip like crazy
DMR Vault and size 10 recommended: 105mm x 105mm Platform area
versus
Kona Wah wah 2's: 120 long x 118 wide

(Crankbros Stamp large are 114mm x 111mm)

;)

I did discover today that I need to be careful with my fat bike if closest to the car on our 1Up rack as the pedal can now catch the rear bumper if I spin the cranks. I'll need to leave the rack an extra 5mm or so further out now.

Last edited: