Quantcast

Best beginner downhill bike 2014?

SoeSach

Chimp
Apr 28, 2014
Hello all...

I've been searching for a new hobby and i like Downhill MTB. It looks fun. So what would be a good beginners bike for me? Im 5'11 200lbs. Muscular build with long legs and long arms. I know that info can be important when choosing a bike. I did a little BMX about 5 yrs ago. I am 21yrs old and i have friends that are 6'5 and we have the same height waist line. lol

I just moved to Murfreesboro, TN a couple of days ago. Its about 30 miles south of Nashville. Any good bike shops around? Downhill places to ride? Competitions going on around this area?

I am a huge SX/MX fan. Have been my whole life. I love adrenaline and being on the edge. Watching Downhill vids on YouTube make me wanna go out and buy a bike and get started lol. I would love to get into this and possibly get into some competitions and go watch some pro comps as well. Thanks in advance peeps!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
windrock is the big DH spot in TN. there are some locals on the board who will probably chime in.

as far as best DH bike - wouldn't say there's any one particular bike that's "best" for learning. I'd recommend finding something used to help keep cost down. most new DH bikes are $5k+

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you ride any other bikes? Ever ridden a downhill bike? I think your skill level will help dictate where to begin.

A budget will also help and whether you want new or used.

kawasakidj

Chimp
Apr 23, 2014
Fresno, California
Look at some shops in your area and see if they have older models on the floor. I got a 2012 Specialized Status II from a local shop here for 2400 bucks from the normal 3100 MSRP(or somewhere around there, was a year ago) just because it was a model year behind. They are willing to bend if its sat on the floor for awhile like this particular model had. Not sure of your price range but I hope you enjoy whatever you get!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Looking at youtube videos and deciding something looks fun is generally not a good way to find new hobbies. Wing suit flying looks fun, and so does riding a sport bike through the isle of man at 200mph. You should try some real "downhill" riding before you decide if it's for you. It's not for the faint-hearted, or shallow-pocketed. Downhill requires a bike, and not a $500 beater Big Hit, plan on spending atleast $1000 on a used bike. $100 for a helmet, $50-$100 on pads. Then all the maintenance required for keeping the bike running well, which will add up VERY quickly riding downhill, and if you pay a local bike shop to do it for you plan for it to be 3x as expensive. $1500 is the absolute bare minimum for buy-in(in my opinion atleast), if you want an enjoyable, safe experience. I have a spare 7 inch freeride bike that I let all the local bro-brah's come ride after they get pumped on some gnarbone youtube vidz. Some have gotten seriously into riding, still riding 5+ years later with almost $10k in gear. I have other friends that simply can't take the heat, they fly into a tree, go over the bars in some rocks, etc, and have given it up completely. Most get their first concussion and call it a career. And its not if you crash and get hurt, its when. 100000x more so when you are first starting out. I know you are all into livin on the edge and being generally sick, but before you drop several k on some gear, give it a shot in the real world. Try and find a buddy with a bike/extra bike, go to a bikepark and rent, etc. Once you decide it is something you seriously want to get into, then ask about bikes.

If you are already past this stage, then check out the pinkbike classifieds. You can probably find something reasonably close to you and there are bikes of all prices there.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Csermonet, it is possible to do downhilling on a shoestring budget.
What's wrong with a $500 Big Hit, assuming it is in a working condition? I have owned a proper and nice downhill bike for only three years now, but been riding occasional downhill on XC hardtails and all kinds of beater freeride bikes for 14 years. Lots of fun have been had during those years.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Csermonet, it is possible to do downhilling on a shoestring budget.
What's wrong with a $500 Big Hit, assuming it is in a working condition? I have owned a proper and nice downhill bike for only three years now, but been riding occasional downhill on XC hardtails and all kinds of beater freeride bikes for 14 years. Lots of fun have been had during those years.
I personally wouldn't bother with a $500 downhill bike, having had both beaters and nice rides. That all depends on the specific bike in question though as well, and the intention of the bike. We aren't talking about a $500 budget for BMX, or a dirt jump bike. Downhill bikes have alot of technical stuff going on and the cost is justifiable. If you are riding a 2005 Big Hit with a shock that's longer than spec'd(resulting in ugodly standover, head tube angle, and bb height), god awful brakes, terrible suspension, and a chain that constantly come off the chain ring, I can confidently say you are not going to like "downhill". Which is probably the sole reason my friend stopped riding. Hell you can spend $1000+ on a turd of a bike and come away with a bad impression of the sport. Cost of the bike certainly isn't the end all be all, but having a bigger budget will definitely help with the overall experience.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
DH is fun and if you are one of the lucky people that can just switch your brain off you can progress much quicker than the average schmuck.
If you buy secondhand and ask people if the bike looks ok you shouldn't lose much if you sell it on.

I have pretty much stopped riding DH as I just don't have the nuts to push a decent bike anywhere near it's limit. I found a dually made me quicker but I felt like a sook so I'm back on hardtails which I enjoy a lot more as the speed is lower but it feels like you are pushing it closer to it's limit which is the bit I enjoy, times don't bother me as I stopped racing a few years ago.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
I still haven't find what I'm looking for - sounds more like BONO to me,
who's that dude on the pic?.........joke.

Yes the buy and sell section, Reason for Selling: Enduro

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
$500 bighit was fine for Brendog

guessing you guys will be far faster than a freerider like him tho ;)

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
$500 bighit was fine for Brendog

guessing you guys will be far faster than a freerider like him tho ;)
Brendan can ride a unicycle faster down the hill than any of us in here, so your argument is as stupid as your name.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it wasn't an arguement just it's a simple fact..

pretty much any DH bike from the last decade with good tyre choice will be absolutely fine for a beginner to try the sport out with.. the bike doesn't actually matter too much To become fast you need to ride rather than Win the internet talking **** about the benefit of your new 62deg H/A, carbon rims or latest shock tune..

I'm soooo luck being scottish means I can just change my name to "csermonet" with zero drama. It really is the coolest most intelligent name I've ever read on an internet forum

Have a great weekend everybody

csermonet xx

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
it wasn't an arguement just it's a simple fact..

pretty much any DH bike from the last decade with good tyre choice will be absolutely fine for a beginner to try the sport out with.. the bike doesn't actually matter too much To become fast you need to ride rather than Win the internet talking **** about the benefit of your new 62deg H/A, carbon rims or latest shock tune..

I'm soooo luck being scottish means I can just change my name to "csermonet" with zero drama. It really is the coolest most intelligent name I've ever read on an internet forum

Have a great weekend everybody

csermonet xx
that is not a fact, it is your opinion. and I assume you know what they say about opinions...

any ways, are you okay?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
that is not a fact, it is your opinion. and I assume you know what they say about opinions...

any ways, are you okay?

Si Paton "What was the first Downhill Rig you ever had?"

Brendan Fairclough "A Specialized Big Hit, 24” back wheel and all! Loved it. It took some time to get used to the 222 - well different."

Source: http://www.descent-world.co.uk/DWR_B4_2005/html/interview/BrendanFairclough.html

I beat Brendan on his Big Hit at a National a year or two before that interview brah

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah.. Lewis King rode an ATX.. they got everyone laid

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Save until you just can't wait any more, and then buy the cheapest 2013+ Giant Glory you can find in good condition.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Si Paton "What was the first Downhill Rig you ever had?"

Brendan Fairclough "A Specialized Big Hit, 24” back wheel and all! Loved it. It took some time to get used to the 222 - well different."

Source: http://www.descent-world.co.uk/DWR_B4_2005/html/interview/BrendanFairclough.html

I beat Brendan on his Big Hit at a National a year or two before that interview brah
You do realize his first downhill rig was ages ago and now he would have probably ridden something helse?

Using your argument we can ask what was Greg Herbold's first downhill bike and assume it should also be fine for any beginer.