Quantcast

best all rounder front tyre

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
Hallo!

I have tested many tires and i am a fan of all rounders, the 'install and forget' type!

and when i say all rounder, i mean every situation except for deep mud.

My style is hard mtb riding, enduro and light dh. (26 wheels)

My best front tire (the last 5 years) that i have experienced is hans dampf (trail star). i have it for about a year, and really is a jack of all trades.
Only disadvantage is that it has a mid to high rolling resistance, especially noticeable in climbs.

Do you have any suggestions on a similar tyre but with less rolling resistance?

My thought is to try the trail king (rubber queen) 2.4 apex
+protection. The black chili compound is awesome, have read that they grip and roll amazingly well. They are 200g heavier, but you also get almost a 27.5 result hehehe.

What do you think?

Hans dampf or trail king? (or something else?)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Without knowing where and what you ride, I will refrain from making a recommendation. However, I will note that I run Continental Mountain King II with the Black Chili and I used to run Hans Dampf, and liked them enough except for the price and the poor wear characteristics.

IME, I have found that the Black Chili is about as grippy (maybe a wee little bit more) as Schwalbe's Pace Star compound. So if you were running a Trail Star Hans Dampf, you might be a little disappointed in the Black Chili.

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
i ride everything! rocks, hardpack, loamy, just everything!!!

i think i'll try the trail king after all. Having used the 2.4 x king in the rear, i might say that bcc is amazing!

other contenders would be:

ardent -> less field of use
high roller ii -> more rolling resistance

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've been using the Ardent on all of my bikes for the last few years (got them for dirt cheap...pretty much the only reason).

I do like them for most riding, though they are quite sketchy in the wet and on wet roots. Just sayin'...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
DHFDHF exo single ply 2.5 or 2.3
I have the 2.5 29er minion these days, blasphemy I know, but it's also like having a minion tire that actually lasts a long time, which is a new thing in of itself.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like Speshi Butchers, I ride to most of my local trails(and am fat and unfit) so having something that rolls at least semi decently is important.

I prefer the Butcher to the Rubber Queen that I had, my Rubber Queens needed a stronger sidewall(or a wider rim) as you'd find yourself with the rim on the dirt in corners.
Also you can't really compare the Black Chilli Compound to other brands durometer ratings as it is a different compound for each model of tyre.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The only Kenda tires I can recomend with any remote positivity are as follows.

Honey Badger.....way better than than nevegals, but still not very enlightening.
Slant Six, terrible out front, but decent out back as a rear XC tire, not trail tire, XC. It's different.
Small Block 8 - Not bad on the dirt jumper, not ideal, but they came with the bike and I rarely ride it.

freeriding

Monkey
Jun 5, 2011
20km of trail king 2.4 bliss todays. mixed conditions from loamy to dry, hardpack to loose.

trail kings grip confidently in just about everything.

rolling resistance, despite their 150g to hans dampf, is lower, they roll well even in tarmac.

i'll ride them more but i think they are here to stay!!!

i guess it's pretty obvious why continental keeps them in their exact form since 2007 (?)

:cheers:

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Not all kendas suck. The el mocos on my dh bike have been great for the price. If you cut the center knobs to half height they even last pretty well on the rear.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
High Roller II. My go to front tire for XC/trail, and my dry tire set up front and rear for DH.
^This

Threw a dhf/dhr2 combo on 4 rides ago Im already going back to the hr2 up front...with 2.3 being the biggest 27.5 minion and my wide rims that minion ends up pretty square and Im knifing bad on more hardpack turns..the 2.4 hr2 ends up a little rounder...Im pretty bummed that used to be my go to front on narrower 26" rims..braking and straitline traction is hard to beat though

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not all kendas suck. The el mocos on my dh bike have been great for the price. If you cut the center knobs to half height they even last pretty well on the rear.
So did the telonix on dust, and the BBG in pretty much anything dry. They've made some good treads. They just fall apart too easily. And then they quit making the good designs and just make more versions of shltty nevegals.