Quantcast

Besides Trestle,

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Heard good things about Copper Mtn. Looking to maybe do a thing where I DH a day on a rented rig, then self-powered riding for a day, then a different resort and DH again, maybe repeat a few times.

Best bang for the buck (terrain) out of Trestle? Early September timeframe.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh yeah, and my AM bike is 29er, so no one else would be able to ride with me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You could ride lifts in Keystone one day, then pedal up to the top of ABasin and descend Lenawee singletrack back to Keystone base. There are some really rowdy trails between Keystone and Breck as well.

The trail riding in WP outside of the bike park is really good and pretty much endless. So between WP and SolVista there is a couple hundred miles of trail.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The trail riding in WP outside of the bike park is really good and pretty much endless. So between WP and SolVista there is a couple hundred miles of trail.
That's what I was thinking about, I seem to recall this from other parts of the interwebs, which may mean it could be worth it just to base out of WP the entire time.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Skip Copper. The Colorado Trail crosses the bottom of the resort but they don't have worthwhile trails besides that. However, the sectio of the Colorado Trail heading west from Copper is epic. Climb from the resort to Serle Pass. Continue rolling along the high alpine to Kokomo Pass, then turn around and ride back (mostly DH). There's so much epic backcountry riding around Breckenridge and Keystone. PM me when you're coming and I'll try to take you for a ride. I work at the main bike shop in Breck.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, appreciate the good ideas here. Gives me a little more to go on. I may take you up on that. Must have been Keystone I was thinking of earlier too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Crested Butte has an underrated bike park, whilst the trail riding in the area is arguably the best in the state and basically endless.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Crested Butte has an underrated bike park, whilst the trail riding in the area is arguably the best in the state and basically endless.
A little far for me, a WP to Keystone/Arapahoe/Breck and back to my buddies place in Co Springs round-robin trip seems like it makes the most sense. I've flown by CB more than once, beautiful.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I got to sample a new dh trail at CB today. Fun stuff.

Think I prefer Wheeler pass (from Breck to Copper) over Lenawee. Commando run is pretty fun, too (top of Vail pass heading west).

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I booked 2 days in WP already, so I'll stay somewhere between Breck and Keystone I imagine for the next two days. Breck seems to have a plethora of lodging right close by, but I don't know where the best location would be. Not looking to spend exorbitant amounts, but also not interested in a dump or some place far out. Where's the fun place to stay?

In the meantime, I have to ride this shitty trail(4th of July):
highres_383168792s.jpg

highres_383036632.jpeg
highres_383036792.jpeg

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
^Yes, Commando is 'nother name for Two Elk. I guess the 10th mtn div used to do that route for training?

Lenawee, the single track descent, is pretty short. Best for a ride if they close the keystone lift early for lightning. You should also get a car ride/shuttle to the base of A-basin and start there.

There's also Jones Pass off Berthoud Pass (near Winter Park) for high alpine riding if you get sick of the soccer mom's kids and carnival fiesta atmosphere at the base of WP.

For pure DH I recommend Sol Vista (Granby Ranch) and Keystone. WP is my least favorite. Vail is really fun on a trail bike. Their soccer moms are from Europe and are way hotter ;)

For high alpine stuffs, listen to Leland and Nick.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Couple other thoughts: Your wagon wheeler will be fine at WP. Unless you want to hit the big jump line banana peel. You'll be really slow on Trestle DH, but you can do it. Everything else is pretty smooth and not gnar enough for DH bike IMO. Unless you want to be really comfy.

If you'll be in Colo Springs, you should do Barr Trail. Starts on top of Pikes Peak. 7000ft descent. Kindamustdo.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
There's also Jones Pass off Berthoud Pass (near Winter Park) for high alpine riding if you get sick of the soccer mom's kids and carnival fiesta atmosphere at the base of WP.
Mmmmm, Jones Pass -> Hermann Gulch is really good.

Count me in for a Barr Trail shuttle, I've always wanted to do that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Couple other thoughts: Your wagon wheeler will be fine at WP. Unless you want to hit the big jump line banana peel. You'll be really slow on Trestle DH, but you can do it. Everything else is pretty smooth and not gnar enough for DH bike IMO. Unless you want to be really comfy.

If you'll be in Colo Springs, you should do Barr Trail. Starts on top of Pikes Peak. 7000ft descent. Kindamustdo.
I've been there before, I saw plenty of 29er enduros running around, but a full on DH bike (what I rented) was much better for downhill, no question. The only thing that pissed me off is that "demo" bikes aren't really "demo" bikes, in that they don't set them up for you, so I can't imagine how I would ever want to buy the bike that I "demo". Pisses me off that they advertise it as such, then you get a spring 200lbs too heavy and 50psi in the tires, not in any sense of the word. But still, a full on DH bike is better for clearing the jumps. I'm bringing the E29 for self-powered rides, but if Keystone or whatever is real timid, I might DH it. I do here through some pretty gnarly terrain, but I want to make the most of my trip.

Thanks for the tip about where to be in Breck.

Yeah, I'll definitely be riding a bit around CoSprings, I might ride up and then down, because I'm crazy like that.

Pics are some of the stuff we got here in AK.

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've been there before, I saw plenty of 29er enduros running around, but a full on DH bike (what I rented) was much better for downhill, no question. The only thing that pissed me off is that "demo" bikes aren't really "demo" bikes, in that they don't set them up for you, so I can't imagine how I would ever want to buy the bike that I "demo". Pisses me off that they advertise it as such, then you get a spring 200lbs too heavy and 50psi in the tires, not in any sense of the word. But still, a full on DH bike is better for clearing the jumps. I'm bringing the E29 for self-powered rides, but if Keystone or whatever is real timid, I might DH it. I do here through some pretty gnarly terrain, but I want to make the most of my trip.

Thanks for the tip about where to be in Breck.

Yeah, I'll definitely be riding a bit around CoSprings, I might ride up and then down, because I'm crazy like that.

Pics are some of the stuff we got here in AK.
In CO spgs? http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/270021

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, if anyone wants to show me around on some epic rides on Sunday the 6th around WP or Tues the 8th around Breck, I'd be grateful. Will be in Co Springs for a few days after that. DHing on the 5th and 7th. Looking forward to it...

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head

Yes to this, my buddy and I rode this a few years back it was sweet

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm down for Breck on Tuesday. You decide how much climbing you want to deal with and I'll find a way to get the most/best decending we can.
Sounds like a plan. I'm usually good for 5K, but we'll see how I'm doing with altitude. When I ride through the "passes" around here, it's a whopping 3,500 above sea level.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Anyone else wanna go on a Breck ENDURRRRO adventure with Jm_ and I?
I have to help cover a shift tomorrow at Avalanche Sports (bike rental shop just below Breck Brewery) but I'm still down to ride some. I'm gonna go in at 8:30 to help set up, then I have to be back at 1:00-2:00 to let my girlfriend leave work (she wants to ride some too.) Swing by the shop before 9:30 or call us at 970-453-1461.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, WP already a little off the beaten path of my loop, not to mention where I'm planning to XC tomorrow. Didn't know as much about Sol Vista when I booked the rooms. Will know for next time....or just go to Whistler.

The more hot soccer moms, the better.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I haven't ridden shit on the east coast for chairlifts other than snowshoe in the 1940s but I've ridden all over CO and elsewhere.

Sol vista has the best dh terrain of any of those that I've been to. They went off the radar when the OG trailbuilders left but apparently they've been opening up the old stuff this year. With the long weekend you should make the effort. Like strippers, Dh bikes are happiest when they're crying. You can hurt things at sol vista, in a very very good way.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Actually that's a good point.

You keep saying "dh" in this thread.

But do you actually have a dh bike with you?

If so, then seriously, don't waste your time on chairlifts........go bang bang at granby.

If not then.......I don't know. Do that other shit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
After I broke the POS Scott today with the non functional brakes, I got a transition that was just a bit over sprung and a little too small. My E29 handles the DH just fine with minions and my bigger pedals, but I didn't want to ride those tires on longer rides, they absolutely suck for that. If I'm on vacation I'll try to rent a DH bike, but this is a test to see how well the EVOC bike bag worked for my main ride. Plus, DH is just beating your bike to death usually.