Quantcast

Bastard brakes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Has anybody ever tried mixing up shimano brake components? Did it reduce any pad contact inconsistencies?

I hear a lot of people complaining about newer saint and zee brakes being inconsistent, and I'm wondering if a non-servo wave lever would reduce that effect. You might lose some power, but you might gain a lot of modulation too.

You can get non-servo wave levers for pretty cheap, on their own or as part of a set, then tack on a set of calipers for like $90 each with pads. Do the swap, then see what happens.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
FYI those super cheap non-servo wave levers are like 14 miles long. The ergonomics are pretty goofy.

Also relevant, I've had some bite point inconsistency on a set of XTR Race (i.e. non-servo wave) brakes, whereas my XTR trails (servo wave) have been perfect.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
FYI those super cheap non-servo wave levers are like 14 miles long. The ergonomics are pretty goofy.

Also relevant, I've had some bite point inconsistency on a set of XTR Race (i.e. non-servo wave) brakes, whereas my XTR trails (servo wave) have been perfect.
yeah, they look fucked up, but they also look like the oldest saint levers, so I thought i'd ask.

Your point about the XTR races is pretty helpful. It sounds like it's hit or miss, or maybe notice/not notice. My older set of XT 785s were pretty much flawless, and my m810s were not problematic, so maybe it's just take a chance and see what happens. I have another set of 785s on the new trail bike, and they feel good so far.

Plus buying a set of Zees from merlin cycle is cheaper than buying two saint calipers from anywhere else.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
They're all hit or miss.

I had an xtr trail poop the bed due to inconsistency, which was replaced with a 9000 series xtr trail, which had the exact same problem.

Because bike industry, just assume you'll need to use your warranty. So buy 2 of everything so you have a backup.

Ingenious marketing!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's also worth noting that the XTR Race brakes have only had a problem with the rear. I need to try bleeding it again and seeing if that does anything. I'm pretty sure I tried to get away with just cutting the hose and shoving it back on without a proper bleed.

My Saint 810s get funky when the pads are pretty worn down, but with new pads they're fine.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Also, I've got big hands and run my brakes pretty far out, so I'm probably less sensitive to bite point issues than some people.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
does anyone make aftermarket levers for the M820's? i cant stand the levers on them and everyone who rides them says ill get used to them. no. no i wont.
i thought the Formula The One levers felt great.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you're thinking about trying m800 levers on m810 or m820 calipers, my suggestion would be to do it for sure, they are compatible. I have a new set of m800 levers waiting to try this exact combination when the current brake apocalypse peaks (just waiting for the guides to fail). I never had inconsistency problems with those old levers, they were higher quality than the current shimano stuff.

They're all hit or miss.
I had an xtr trail poop the bed due to inconsistency, which was replaced with a 9000 series xtr trail, which had the exact same problem.
Agreed, I had lever throw dramas with m820/m640, and leaking caliper seals on m785/m675. Pinkbike's recent review on the 8000 xt suggests problems too. I also know of people with no dramas at all, but the ratio is not good.

I don't miss the lack of power, but it'd be nice to have the reliability from these again...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you're thinking about trying m800 levers on m810 or m820 calipers, my suggestion would be to do it for sure, they are compatible. I have a new set of m800 levers waiting to try this exact combination when the current brake apocalypse peaks (just waiting for the guides to fail). I never had inconsistency problems with those old levers, they were higher quality than the current shimano stuff.
I've ridden a set of those on an old Spooky demo bike. Definitely lost some power compared to a full 810 setup, but they worked.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
It will work for sure. I'm riding magura calipers/shimano levers combo and it works flawlessly too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah using the worst generation of Shimano lever with a caliper that you can't really find metal pads for anymore sounds like a winner.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Like it or not they worked great, and you can still buy metal EBC pads for those calipers today.
Keep in mind that picture could be 8-9 years old at this point.

What (functionally) was the worst about those levers?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't like the ergonomics, and I had a couple puke oil from the main seal on the master cylinder.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Like it or not they worked great, and you can still buy metal EBC pads for those calipers today.
Keep in mind that picture could be 8-9 years old at this point.

What (functionally) was the worst about those levers?
Which is interesting because I think in another thread someone was complaining they couldn't buy pads for their hope mono M4s, which use the exact same pad dimensions as the 755s. I used to by XT pads for my hopes all the time, worked like a charm. I was going to say something, but I hoped the money spent on new brakes would help fund R&D into replacing brake fluid with things like water and urine.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Actually, that's me and my old 755s.
That setup worked VERY well and still serves a friend on her Glory DH to this day. That lever was an improvement over the stock setup. I still have the stock 755 m.c. with aftermarket 2-finger dangerboy levers if anyone is interested in experimenting.
Haha no way!

I asked myself the same question as OP many years ago and ended up finding a picture of your brakes on some forum -- which led me to experiment with 810-series Saint masters, XT 755 4-piston calipers, and stainless Goodridge lines. They worked great, but SRAM gave me a set of free Codes so I never really got to abuse them.