Quantcast

Azonic Steelhead

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I want to get an Azonic Steelhead, and I was just wondering if anyone knew the weight of the frame. Also, is having a bolt-on rear axle a must? Or can I use a QR? Any input about this frame would be great! Thanks.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
You could have a quick release, but GL keepin' your rear wheel from moving. The frame is not super heavy...around 6 maybe a bit less. They seem to go together fairly well. I've DJed one and it felt very natural..fairly normal angles and all that. My only concers would be the heavily crimped chainstay..that and the fact that you can't run a single chainring and a 9 speed with any sort of chain line that's descent but we could start a whole tread on that topic. The frame rates highly on the bang for the buck scale, I may build one to ride trail on...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So can I run an E13 DRS chainguide on it with a 22/32t? And what is a GL? (Sorry, I'm new into all this). Also, do you know what the rear tire clearance is? I like my intense 2.5 :)

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Yeah the Intense tire will fit. I just got one and I am running a fairly wide tire with so much clearence. Yes you would run the E-13 also, and the bolt on axel is recomended because of the horizontile dropouts to keep your wheel from moving and to keep the chain tight if running a single speed which i recoment with that bike but it is personal preference. The bike is great and I have no complaints. But even if you do run it single speed, keep on the derailure hanger because it makes the rear dropouts beefier which is good.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
when you crimp you weaken the metal. Crimp a piece of metal and then flex it back and fourth, it will fail right at the corner of the crimp. Now imagine the chainstay of the bike flexing as frames do...with a chainstay all crimped up like the steelhead it seems like that design will affect the ultimate longevity of the frame. It is cheap though. And the crimp does give good tire clearence.

GL=Good Luck.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So why wouldn't the metal be straighter? And more pointed outwards to increase clearance.