Quantcast

azonic recoil advice please!

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
just built up a new azonic recoil and running the shock mount in the middle position i`m finding the head angle is pretty much spot on but the bb a bit too high at 15"-15 1/2" but in the lower position the bb is lower but the head angle way too slack for my liking.. any advice??? ive come off a straight 8 with 14" bb height so do i just need to get used to it?

any other suggestions as to tuning and set up? at the moment i`m not liking it as much as the schwinn

also is the geomtry exactly the same as an m1? cos ive noticed quite a few riders running the shock in the middle position on their m1s..

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Unfortunately the only way to drop the BB height and keep the head angle the same would be to go to 24" wheels front and rear. Most likely this isn't something you want to do unless you're under 5'5". You might be able to find a linkage position where the you can balance out between the head angle you're at now and the BB height you want.

As far as the Straight 8 goes, the frame did have a little less travel so that will keep the BB lower. Yeti DH frames (including the Schwinn) have almost always been long and low, which affects the BB height also. Pretty much it will be something you just have to live with. 15" isn't totally unreasonable for a DH bike with an 8" fork, although a little bit higher than optimal.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
cheers for the advice chap

ive seen a few intenses with the lower shock mount plates flipped over anyone know if this will give me a better compromise, i dont mind the head angle being a little slacker just not TOO slack.. i know i need to try it out for myself but if anyones got any experience playing about with the settings it would be much appreciated.. i need to decide asap whether to keep it or stay with the schwinn and sell it on..

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
punkassean said:
What fork and where in the crowns is it positioned? Can it be lowered at all?

forks are boxxers and ive already got em dropped as far as they`ll go

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
also.. what difference do the mounting holes for the rocker plates make?

cheers for the help guys..

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I don't know that frame specifically but if you look at the adjustment holes and visualize moving the bolts to that location usually you can guestimate how that will affect your geometry. If any holes look like they would drop the BB, try it out.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
dropping the bb is going to slacken out the headangle, there's really no way around that aside from going to 24's front and rear. I think you'll get used to the higher bottom bracket if you ride it around a bit, but if you know you'll hate it then it might be best to just move on to something lower.

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
Well on my recoil i just dropped the crowns on my boxxer all the way down and did the low bb setting, and that seems to suit me fairly well, but i guess you have tried that, sorry I am no help on this one, the way you described how it is set up is exactly the way i like mine lol

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
johnbrittain said:
Well on my recoil i just dropped the crowns on my boxxer all the way down and did the low bb setting, and that seems to suit me fairly well, but i guess you have tried that, sorry I am no help on this one, the way you described how it is set up is exactly the way i like mine lol
yea the problem with that setting is cos most of the tracks i ride are tighter and slower its just too long and slow in the turns even with the crowns dropped as far as possible

cheers for the advice tho guys..

dont suppose anyones got any pictures of any "factory" azonic riders they could link to, just to see what sort of set up theyre using?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Try it out in the lowBB and slack angle mode for a while and see if you can adapt your style to suit the terrain. Razor sharp handling isn't needed when you can mow everything down and you just use a lot more body english in tight area to make it obey you ;)

One question for you, is the wheelbase adjustable on the Azonic? if so make it shorter. The short wheelbase setting helped a lot in the tight terrain here on my M1

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
shagwell said:
yea the problem with that setting is cos most of the tracks i ride are tighter and slower its just too long and slow in the turns even with the crowns dropped as far as possible

cheers for the advice tho guys..

dont suppose anyones got any pictures of any "factory" azonic riders they could link to, just to see what sort of set up theyre using?
Unfortunatly, there is not much you can do to make a major difference.

I ran this same setup last season (Recoil/Boxxer), and you either run it slack or run it high. Those are your only options unless you switch out the fork, Dorados can be setup a lot lower than Boxxers. I'd say pick a happy medium and get use to it.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Zark said:
One question for you, is the wheelbase adjustable on the Azonic? if so make it shorter. The short wheelbase setting helped a lot in the tight terrain here on my M1
the wheelbase isnt seperately adjustable no, but changing the shock mounts also affects the wheelbase so unfortuanately the low but slack setting is also longer aswell which makes it even worse for the riding i do.. oh well, i`ll try it in the midddle position and see how i get on

cheers for the help..