Quantcast

Avalanche shock questions:

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Does the $550 include the Ti spring?

Is the extra compression adjuster on the remote worth getting?

Also, I don't know what size line to get??

(The bike it will be going on is a 03 DHR)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The Ti spring definatly makes that shock lighter, but reguardless of steel or Ti it will be the best shock you've ever ridden. I would never get rid of mine its just way nice:thumb:

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Brian HCM#1 said:
The Ti spring definatly makes that shock lighter, but reguardless of steel or Ti it will be the best shock you've ever ridden. I would never get rid of mine its just way nice:thumb:
Very cool... thanks again for the info.

Any thoughts on the remote compression adjuster?

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I think thats the only way he sells them now. I have the compression adjuster, its a high speed setup so you really can't feel it during the parking lot test. Once its out on the trail you'll notice everything.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
What about the "anti-bob compression blowoff"? Is that useable?
I'm contemplating buying an Avy for myself, and read something about the blowoff... if I were riding for an hour on road (commuting on a FR bike :dead: ), and wanted to lock out the shock completely, would I kill it buy cranking the compression all the way up? I'm under the impression it blows off no matter what, just depends on the size of the hit. Am I right? I'd then drop the comp adjustment back down for when I'm riding the bike properly, but it'd be really nice to have a lockout-type feature for commuting. And yeh, I know about SPV, but meh, if they're everything people say they are, I want an Avalance.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
partsbara said:
obviously not much if you think that 'HOPE SUCK' :devil:

seriously, my avy has been undoubtedly (sp?) the best single upgrade i ve ever done in 7 years of dh'ing

partsbara
you just aint cool enough to say hope sucks. im actually gonna get a mono 4 for the front soon i think. guess you dont get that the hope sucks is just a joke. :eviltongu :eviltongu

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
DHracer1067 said:
you just aint cool enough to say hope sucks. im actually gonna get a mono 4 for the front soon i think. guess you dont get that the hope sucks is just a joke. :eviltongu :eviltongu
oh yeah, sorry... hope sucks everybody :dead: :nuts:

J

James

Ti spring = +$200

Remote compression = You have no choice. Every shock comes with it now.

Hose Length = Whatever Craig sets you up with will work! 03 DHR is an easy install.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Rik said:
What about the "anti-bob compression blowoff"? Is that useable?
I'm contemplating buying an Avy for myself, and read something about the blowoff... if I were riding for an hour on road (commuting on a FR bike :dead: ), and wanted to lock out the shock completely, would I kill it buy cranking the compression all the way up? I'm under the impression it blows off no matter what, just depends on the size of the hit. Am I right? I'd then drop the comp adjustment back down for when I'm riding the bike properly, but it'd be really nice to have a lockout-type feature for commuting. And yeh, I know about SPV, but meh, if they're everything people say they are, I want an Avalance.
The Avalanche is not a commuting shock, you don't buy an Avalanche to commute on.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
back to avalanche-related discussions...i thoroughly believe that the $550 i handed to mr seekins was the best $ i've spent on any DH purchase. it really transformed both the DHi and Giant DH team frames it's been on. no higher recommendation. :thumb:

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
narlus said:
back to avalanche-related discussions...i thoroughly believe that the $550 i handed to mr seekins was the best $ i've spent on any DH purchase. it really transformed both the DHi and Giant DH team frames it's been on. no higher recommendation. :thumb:

Thank you for the feedback, and for stealing the thread back from the thread molesters :blah:

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Brian HCM#1 said:
The Avalanche is not a commuting shock, you don't buy an Avalanche to commute on.
I'm more than aware of that... but what if you are using a bicycle as your only form of transport? I have to spend a bit of time riding on paved surfaces to get to the trails, and whilst SPV would be more appropriate for that, I'm still looking at Avalanche for the fun stuff offroad.
So can any Avy users provide an answer?

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
The compadjuster is a blowoff that works both on both high and low speed. How it works and how much extra comp you get depends on the shimstach on the maim piston vs. the shimstack on the blowoff.

Anyway, these shocks rocks!!

I tested the original Romic on my DHR for a run the other day, and the Ava blows it away in any situation.

e

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Slacker said:
That's a very extrapolating comment; Care to expatiate?

one ride on an avy that is BUILT FOR YOU is all it ll take... i liked my bike before, but now i love it....

AWESOME... i d do it again in a heartbeat... only this time i would do it 3 years earlier...

partsbara