Quantcast

Avalanche on a DHi?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Is it a good shock for a DHi, or does the weird suspension design mean it's a poor choice?

How much do they cost these days? Is the compression one essential or ok to go with the cheaper one?

cheers

- seb

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
mine cost me £300 seb.

supprised to hear you wanting one , they aint light!

Dont suppose your gonna be at hopton or the busas? in which case you can have a squidge.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by 360
mine cost me £300 seb.

supprised to hear you wanting one , they aint light!

Dont suppose your gonna be at hopton or the busas? in which case you can have a squidge.
I'm not bothered by the weight, but in all honesty I doubt they weigh much more than a 5th with the same spring on. Maybe half a pound. What's half a pound eh :D

And I feel no need to have a squidge on yours - I don't need convincing they work!

I doubt I'll be at the Busas, no point for me since I can't race. And Hopton this weekend is sold out.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
are you feeling ok?

If you havent i'd recomend a try before you buy though, having brought one i can easily imagine some people not getting on with it .

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
I think an Avalanche shock will be extra good on the DHI. From what I know it uses a 2.5" stroke (stock) on 9"!!! of rear wheel travel. Thats an amazingly high ratio!
On the Ava.com fit list, a 2.75" shock on the same o-o is installed. This should make a lot of durable travel.

E

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Originally posted by Espen
I think an Avalanche shock will be extra good on the DHI. From what I know it uses a 2.5" stroke (stock) on 9"!!! of rear wheel travel. Thats an amazingly high ratio!

E
It uses a 2.75 to get 8" of travel.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I thought it was 8.5", and with a 3" avy you get about 9.25" of travel.

It's an old DHi frame if that makes any difference, or are they all the same?

Last edited:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Originally posted by Espen
On GT's specs, 2.5/9 is listed.

I know the Norwegian importer and we have been talking alot of this.

e
I had a DHi and it had a 2.75' stroke shock. The GT site also said they where adjustable from 8-9", But the only adjustment was for BB height and head angle

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well the RS I have on is 2.75", and I've always thought they were 2.75" so I thinkit's safe to assume the 2.5" is wrong.

So, should I bother with the compression adjustment or save myself some money?

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Avalanche specs a 9x2.75

I had this exact same set up a couple of years ago. I was unhappy with how the Avi performed on the DHi, so I switched to a Progressive. There was a TON of discussion on this board when I posted that I had done so, so it may be worth you doing a search to see what everyone was saying. I won't rehash my reasoning for switching here (the post was about two years ago me thinks), but in a nutshell I didn't like the Avi for the type of riding I do - more race oriented. The Avi most definitely outperformed the RC, but the switch to the Progressive was amazing. Any pedal bob was completely eliminated, and the rear end stuck to ground like glue. I never really felt that the bike had the "dead" feeling that folks sometime complain about with the Progressive.

Last season I took the same shock and had it fitted to a DH Team, and again had another great season on it. This year I'm having it fitted to a V10. To say that's it's probably the best money I've ever spent on a mountain bike part is an understatement. OK, there is my plug for Progressive......oh, did I mention that their customer service is as good as it gets?.....

I'm in no way bashing the Avi, I just felt it didn't suit my riding style. If I were going to be hucking off of tall buildings in a single bound I would reconsider it. It is constructed very well, and Craig is a stand-up guy. It's definitely heavier than the Progressive, but that doesn't sound like an issue to you. Also, I had to do some grinding on the top shock eyelet on the frame so that the top casting would not rub throughout the travel. Nothing too dramatic however.

If you're going to spend the $$, definitely do not overlook the Progressive for the DHi, you won't be disappointed.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers wallstreetbiker, I had a 5th on my 222, I did like it just thought I'd get an avi this time for a change :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey seb, the avy is definitely a big improvement on the DHi, at least over the fox. i agree w/ mmike about the appearance that the reservoir mount not being ideal, but i never had a problem hitting it. the shock is definitely 9" i2i, 2.75" stroke. i've got the same shock now on my giant. i say go for it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'm wondering now about just going for a 2004 ox with all the propedal valving and stuff.

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Originally posted by - seb
I'm wondering now about just going for a 2004 ox with all the propedal valving and stuff.
aw come on that's the weight weenie in you trying to talk again. :).

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by VooDoo
aw come on that's the weight weenie in you trying to talk again. :).
Well yes the fox is light, but I'm on a budget so it's also more accessible. Plus with the fox if I blow it at a race or it breaks it'll be easy for me to get it sorted - not so with an Avy.

And I do remember people raving on here about the new fox valving.

VooDoo

asshat
Dec 21, 2001
Toronto
Originally posted by - seb
Well yes the fox is light, but I'm on a budget so it's also more accessible. Plus with the fox if I blow it at a race or it breaks it'll be easy for me to get it sorted - not so with an Avy.

And I do remember people raving on here about the new fox valving.
aahhhh.. i shouldn't be saying anything... i'm the same way (poor=RC)...
Blowing an avy>?
The only person i know that has blown an avy has been Bender when he had one on his apocolapsye... but then again he's blown every shock on the apocolapsye...

dave.g75

Chimp
Apr 19, 2004
yeh really interested in the Avy for my Giant DH team,anyone that has used one on this frame got any feedback??

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well I decided to put my money towards a biking holiday instead. I'm also embarrassed to say that I've since realised my frame has a rockshox, not a fox - the bike was just so damn cheap I hadn't even bothered to look :P

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
denjen said:
That has to be a miss print. Like I said I had one for two years. The shock is a 9x2.75
Just to clear this up now that I think I understand it. It's a 9" x 2.75" shock, but GT found that dogbones were getting bent so they added a 0.25" rigid spacer onto the shaft making it effectively a 9" x 2.5" shock. I spoke to Tim Flooks the other day and he confirmed this.

Mine's still screwed though, since I have a 9.25"x3" (9.25"x2.75" with spacer) so my shock's definately been extended somehow over its life.