Quantcast

Avalanche Fork on newer bike? Stupid or no?

krazydher

Chimp
Aug 29, 2014
So I've been out of the loop for a while. I've had 2 big heavy bikes in the past. Balfa bb7 with monster t and BMW race link now with avy fork and shock. I need a new bike. Was looking at Wilson's and a few others. I mainly free ride and like fast techy dh trails as well.

So question is, how dumb would it be to put my avy dhf 7 fork on a Wilson or demo 8 or something newer? Or would it even work? I just love how my avys feel.

Thanks
BTW been on here since 2000 but had to get new account.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The chassis are a love hate thing, but luckily avalanche has huge support for all the main suspension player's forks. You can insert an Avy cart into a boxxer, fox 40 or 888 and have the benefits of that chassis (light weight, better torsional rigidity) with the benefits of avalanche damping.

krazydher

Chimp
Aug 29, 2014
Hmm I c. So do you think it would throw the bike off balance if I put my 9 lb fork on one of these lighter bikes?

Wetbed0

Chimp
Dec 17, 2013
Colorado
Quite a bit. It would feel off coming from a new light bike, but if you're used to the heavy front end, you probably won't notice.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You'll be fine if you're already used to it. It's not like the bike is going to reject it and explode. But I did hear if you're not on 27.5 wheels, your bike won't roll down the mountain.

krazydher

Chimp
Aug 29, 2014
Sweet deal. I will tty it out. And screw 27.5s. Lol it'll take me a while to mentally transition to that haha.I used to ride a 24 26

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It'll work just fine. Although the new forks that are out from fox, manitou, RS, and marzocchi are probably significantly nicer in pretty much ever way and weigh 4 lbs less. It'd be worth it to switch to one of those, but I know how sometimes its hard to justify a $2000 fork.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As a previous owner...don't do it! Switching from a DHF 8 to a boxxer WC was a world of difference. almost 4 lbs off the front end, no twisting every single wreck, and less offset made for a more neutral handling bike. The damping on the avy phork is fenomenal (as is the reliability), but it's a 10lb fork with 65mm of offset and no integrated stem.

These newer bikes will really knock the socks off your racelink when it comes to going fast (i had one). The suspension on that bike is great, and the cromo frame kind of takes the sting out of little bumps, but I went from one to a sunday and it was really a massive upgrade. Racelinks are great at plattekill, modern DH bikes are great everywhere.

krazydher

Chimp
Aug 29, 2014
Sweet deal well thanks for the replies. Thinking I will just keep the race link with the avy as a second bike and just build a whole new bike with all the newer stuff that's out today.

I just checked out evil undead. Sounds pretty sick. Maybe.

Norther

Chimp
Sep 11, 2009
Finland
That was exactly the same decicion I made. I kept my good old SC V10.1 with Avy DHF8.5mt as my second bike and built a bit more modern Driver8 with Bos Idylle DC coil fork for more fun and playfull downhill bike :)

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Just get a Boxxer RC and a AVA kit for it. The best compromise imo between, price, performance, serviceability.