Quantcast

Armchair Sports Psychologists:Coming "Back" After a Major Faceplant Crash? (GRAPHIC)

Let me preface the following by saying that I've crashed - a lot - over the last fifteen years, and have always bounced back. Broken bones, separated this, dislocated that...

Recently (seven weeks) however, I overshot a jump, basically landed on the the take-off of the subsequent one, and literally got catapulted over the bars. After a relatively pleasant bike-less flight, my "landing" left a little to be desired: I plowed face-first into the high-side of the trail. I folded the chin bar of the helmet I was wearing (Urge Archi Enduro...full story here: Crash Report on Urge Archi Enduro Helmet), which allowed a cut off piece of brush or free-floating stick to jump the collapsed chin bar and do this:

External damage was severe, but internal was worse. The stick/whatever removed a piece of my upper lip, dove down into my mouth just in front of the lower front teeth, tore the oral tissue away from the jaw bone, popped out of my mouth and, as it tore me a Joker smile, the force was so great that the remainder of the tissue was torn away from my jaw bone, all the way to the jaw hinge.

The good: I was wearing a Leatt and full armor; other than the facial trauma I walked away unscathed.
The bad: $13K in emergency plastic surgery and three weeks on a liquid diet. My confidence is SHOT.

Like I said, I've crashed a lot in the past, but this injury was different. It really rattled me. There's something very...personal about getting your face shredded.

I'm having a bugger of a time getting aggressive over the front end again. As such, it's affected not only my high-speed corners but also my jumping. I was told in no uncertain language to wear a "real" full face at ALL times (trail riding included) for at least a year, which I am, so I'm pretty certain what happened with the Archi Enduro won't happen again. I know that on a cognitive level, but when instinct takes over, I'm backing off the front end reflexively.

Any DH armchair sports psychologists with a similar experience have advice, in addition to the usual "get back on the horse..." and/or "just give it time, it'll be OK..."?

Cheers!

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
get a proper full face... Maybe something DOT
ftfy :)

But just go slow. Go Gradual. It's good self control practice and will help you gradually build up your confidence without getting lots of small injuries. Also, going to the gym, getting stronger, and doing some road biking to boost your fitness will do LOADS for your confidence and riding overall.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
dayum. thats some serious damage.

it can takes some time, but sometimes, not even time will get you back.
had a friend who broke his wrist and had some gnarly abrasions on his side... over a year later, he still wont hit jumps flat out. another friend rolled down 80ft, during one of our exposed-goat path rides... snapped the helmet in half and was unconscious for 1 week in UCI... to this day, he still wont climb into a bike for a downhill run.

maybe some of us enjoy the thrill, because he havent eating **** hard enough yet; maybe all that changes onces you experience pain and anxiety... so at some point, you have to ask to yourself...
am i really having fun at this???? do i really want to hit that?? if the answer is no longer a hell, yes!.... then, why bother?

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
my suggestion. take this as a time to completely relearn how to ride a bike. start from the basics, go slow and concentrate on doing everything perfectly at a slow pace. over time (probably at least a season) pick up the pace little by little. this should do loads for your confidence because as your getting faster your riding better. the time re learning and going slow will give you time on the bike at a safe pace to regain your trust in yourself.

avoid competitive situations like chasing down a faster friend.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Some good tips above.^

Personally I am a bit superstitious with spots where I've been injured before, so if you are trying to kill it at the same spot where you got hurt, I would suggest getting comfortable riding hard at a different location... and THEN riding hard and jumping.

Other dudes may suggest going out to conquer the fear at the place where you got spanked; but that hasn't worked for me.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Some good tips above.^

Personally I am a bit superstitious with spots where I've been injured before, so if you are trying to kill it at the same spot where you got hurt, I would suggest getting comfortable riding hard at a different location... and THEN riding hard and jumping.

Other dudes may suggest going out to conquer the fear at the place where you got spanked; but that hasn't worked for me.
Double ditto. I've been out for most of the past 13 months w ~2 months to go - L5 AC sep w/ surgery - got on a bike for a couple of months then shattered the clav on the other side, very badly - another surgery and plates.

I expect to be wary, but mostly back on track pretty quickly. I am planning on focusing on fundamentals and not speed - riding 'perfectly' at any given speed before considering notching it up. Less reckless and more calculated.

Great things happen when we bother to try, and bad things can happen no matter how hard we try to avoid them.

Ultimately as a few posts above described: if you have fun, keep it up - if it causes anxiety or lost joy -- screw it.

Im obsessed with bikes for life, but now Im also obsessed with Jeeps due to downtime.

Good luck!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I rode the trail, then hit the jump that broke my back ASAP. I'm no macho man, and had it not been a jump that I had ridden frequently I may not have done that. I say listen to yourself. If you're motivated to get back at it, go for it. If you need a break- do that. Another gnarly wreck of mine I had a handrail gone wrong to waking up in the hospital- I'll never touch that rail again!
In all honesty, I've never come back as strong from super burly wrecks. I try, but it hasn't always worked out. Sometimes a harsh reality check will make you reassess risk vs what's most important to you. For me, going on the verge of control and two seconds faster, or down burly handrails lost appeal when compared to the other important things in my life.
Anyway, to sum up my armchair rambling, I say listen to yourself.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Any DH armchair sports psychologists with a similar experience have advice, in addition to the usual "get back on the horse..." and/or "just give it time, it'll be OK..."?
Nope.

You're probably one of those people that needs LESS confidence. Go with it. If you're overshooting jumps so badly, you're hitting the next in line, your judgement is so poor that you really should be doubting yourself much more than you currently do. Right now.........you may be in the mamma bear porridge bracket of "mmmmmm.........just right."

Be scared. Think thoughts like "I really don't know what I'm doing", and maybe "god I suck at judging speed, I should ask someone". Getting 'back on the horse' is not necessarily a horse you should be back on. That seems more like the right path right now.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nope.

You're probably one of those people that needs LESS confidence. Go with it. If you're overshooting jumps so badly, you're hitting the next in line, your judgement is so poor that you really should be doubting yourself much more than you currently do. Right now.........you may be in the mamma bear porridge bracket of "mmmmmm.........just right."

Be scared. Think thoughts like "I really don't know what I'm doing", and maybe "god I suck at judging speed, I should ask someone". Getting 'back on the horse' is not necessarily a horse you should be back on. That seems more like the right path right now.
That sounds fairly sensible.

Or maybe buy a better helmet. Or both!

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I think this post should be in the "Is it becoming "uncool" to wear protection?” thread. I hope you feel better soon. My advice is ride to enjoy the sport but only you can decide if "testing your limits" is worth a worst-case scenario. As a father of two young children I know I have dialed my riding down a bit.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
To be honest the best thing I have found is ride with the people who push you. I had a very bad 2011 season. Went death and blind for a while after a crash, broke a finger and a few months later I killed my brand new helmet and had to get a surgery after my collarbone broke. Now I've been riding with some of my dirt jumping and bmx friends. I'm no bmxer and a supper lame dj rider but I take them to the hills and doing big jumps after them really boosts your confidence. the best jumper since the time I was a stupid kid who thought he was indestructible. Haven't ridden with the fast dh friends this year but it's mostly to them going broke this year.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I am planning on focusing on fundamentals and not speed - riding 'perfectly' at any given speed before considering notching it up. Less reckless and more calculated.
You're probably one of those people that needs LESS confidence...

Be scared. Think thoughts like "I really don't know what I'm doing", and maybe "god I suck at judging speed, I should ask someone".

I had a pretty major crash a few years ago and landed face first on a rock. It split my face open right across the bridge of my nose, smashing the bone into lots of little pieces, and nearly missing my eye. I had a flap of skin hanging down exposing the bone, but I didn't get any cool pictures. Took two surgeries, and I still can't breathe right.

I agree with Huck and Kid. First, focus on fundamentals. Get back on the bike and ride as soon as you can, but stay off the big features for a while. Get better at everything else - line choice, cornering, pumping, small jumps and drops with no serious consequences for f*ck ups, and judging speed and distance. Get better at easy stuff first. Do it over and over again until its second nature, and then do it some more.

Learn to be happy with small victories and f*ck the naysayers. I don't give a **** if guys are telling me to HTFU and hit a drop - if I'm not ready, I'm not doing it. I'm not getting talked/pressured into hitting anything I'm not ready for. Baby steps have worked for me, and I'm a better rider for it.

Take your time, you'll come back. It took me a couple years to get back to where I was, but since I took my time, I've become a better rider all around.

Anyway, that's what worked for me.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have no good psych advice, and anyone who would take it from me might want to rethink thinking for a bit.

However, I might suggest a custom paint job on a new lid. Yes, its time for a Joker helmet.

Hope you heal up man. I guess you just have to get out there and get on the horse again. Ain't nothing to it but to do it. But do it on pain killers for a bit. I find percosets make me invincible!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
one of the main differences between DOT and ASTM is chinbar strength, of which the ASTM 1952 DOES HAVE a requirement for. Honestly though, I wouldn't doubt for a second the durability of the chinbar on a professional moto helmet.

I think it might be time for a break. Getting rattled so hard may not be a bad thing. Take up huffing glue or something for a while, and you'll start to miss biking. You'll be fixed in some time, and you can "get back on the horse". No sense in trying to get back up to the limit while you're still making the "y so serious" face

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
First of all, STAY OUT OF THE SUN and use vitamin E oil on the lacerations (just apply a few times a day) so that things don't worsen as they heal. I had an avulsion/abrasions on my face with asphalt embedded in the skin from a header I took years ago, and used the above to minimize the scarring effects on my face.

As far as getting back on the horse, I will echo others' comments about taking this time to fine-tune skills at a much lower level and perfecting things. It's a good time to enjoy just heading out and being on the trail/with bros than listening to Insane Clown Posse, shredding the trail, and not being satisfied until you almost killed yourself on some challenging trail feature. This is a pretty good description of myself and what I've done the past few months following my latest injury. Minus the ICP. Good luck.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I did a search for images of "Urge Archi Enduro", and among all the pictures of the helmet, the picture of your face comes up... not very good marketing for them.

I have no advice for you, sorry. Though Kidwoo's advice sounds sound.

Also, could you please put NSFW tags on your pictures? Thanks. and so as to not sound to callous, I really hope you heal up well, and as imperceptibly as possible. That really sucks.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
slyfink: How are those photos NSFW? Its not like he's in a man thong showing you his plumbs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
slyfink: How are those photos NSFW? Its not like he's in a man thong showing you his plumbs.
OK, so maybe safe for work, but not safe for those with a weak stomach, or those eating, or those with small children around... I know NSFW stands for not safe for work, but in reality, they tend to get used for any type of graphic content... how about a warning for graphic content in the thread title then?

For the record, I've been in a somewhat similar, if less extreme situation, where I've torn both my ears off riding (on two separate occasions). I've even posted pictures up on-line, but with graphic content warnings. Facial injuries are spooky. I got lucky and the cosmetic damage is barely noticeable so it didn't mess with my head, but I still think woo's advice is sound.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
SprungShoulders said:
Recently (seven weeks) however, I overshot a jump, basically landed on the the take-off of the subsequent one, and literally got catapulted over the bars. After a relatively pleasant bike-less flight, my "landing" left a little to be desired: I plowed face-first into the high-side of the trail. I folded the chin bar of the helmet I was wearing&#8230;

I'm having a bugger of a time getting aggressive over the front end again. As such, it's affected not only my high-speed corners but also my jumping. I was told in no uncertain language to wear a "real" full face at ALL times&#8230;

Nope.

You're probably one of those people that needs LESS confidence. Go with it. If you're overshooting jumps so badly, you're hitting the next in line, your judgement is so poor that you really should be doubting yourself much more than you currently do...

Be scared. Getting 'back on the horse' is not necessarily a horse you should be back on. That seems more like the right path right now.
So Sprung,about the pic you posted from the first page:

OMIGOD OMIGOD AHHHHHHH AHHHHHH OMIGOD!!!!!!! (*runs around room flailing arms in the air*)

...THAT said, I think Woo is on to something here. But before I address that, you ABSOLUTELY should wear a genuine full-face helmet for riding jumps such as a D2, D3, Fox, Bell, 661 type full-face lid. Thank God you were wearing a Leatt and took other precautions.

I think Woo is on the right track here in that you should take some time to stop and examine the events that led to your crash: Why were you going so fast? Where were you looking once you left the lip of the jump? Do you always overshoot jumps, or was this an isolated incident? If it was an isolated incident, what compelled you to go too fast? Do you usually have trouble judging speed?

Replay the events in your head as you remember them from that day and ask friends what they saw. Gather as much info as you can and look at your riding habits, in particular your weaknesses or mistakes you make more than once. Learn WHY this crash happened, HOW it happened and WHAT your mental state of mind was that day.

A good rider always examines a bad wreck so he or she can apply what they have learned.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wait, aren't you NOT supposed to wear a Leatt unless you are wearing a full face? Isn't it supposed worse than not wearing it at all?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

OMIGOD OMIGOD AHHHHHHH AHHHHHH OMIGOD!!!!!!! (*runs around room flailing arms in the air*)

...THAT said, I think Woo is on to something here. But before I address that, you ABSOLUTELY should wear a genuine full-face helmet for riding jumps such as a D2, D3, Fox, Bell, 661 type full-face lid. Thank God you were wearing a Leatt and took other precautions.

I think Woo is on the right track here in that you should take some time to stop and examine the events that led to your crash: Why were you going so fast? Where were you looking once you left the lip of the jump? Do you always overshoot jumps, or was this an isolated incident? If it was an isolated incident, what compelled you to go too fast? Do you usually have trouble judging speed?

Replay the events in your head as you remember them from that day and ask friends what they saw. Gather as much info as you can and look at your riding habits, in particular your weaknesses or mistakes you make more than once. Learn WHY this crash happened, HOW it happened and WHAT your mental state of mind was that day.

A good rider always examines a bad wreck so he or she can apply what they have learned.
In a bikepark near me we have a table line were people overshoot jumps constantly. It's not just the speed that decides how far you jump but also the dynamics on take-off.

I think people hit that line and get more confident over the day and then decide spontaneausly to really go for it. They go too fast pull up to hard and then they get bucked and land right in the take-off of the next table.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is it NLA on HucknRoll because of this crash?

That is a really really unlucky crash, hope the face heals up well, can't imagine how boring liquid food would be for two weeks.

Will you be posting any pics of the helmet post crash?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Depends where you wanna go?
Wanna have fun and cool it? Ok.
Wanna step it up? Go back and pick up where you started. Land the jump. Tell yourself it never happened.

Tell the scared voice that tells you no "shut your ****ing mouth when your talking to me"

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
In a bikepark near me we have a table line were people overshoot jumps constantly. It's not just the speed that decides how far you jump but also the dynamics on take-off.

I think people hit that line and get more confident over the day and then decide spontaneausly to really go for it. They go too fast pull up to hard and then they get bucked and land right in the take-off of the next table.
I hate parks that have tables for low speed riding on fast speed trails. I get it parks are for also for slower riders but I'm in no way fast and it overshooting happens to me on some trails. It makes no sense to make a too short table. Begginers can land on top, the fast guys will land it where they should at full speed.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha

Agree and not so much. There was an article in outside magazine about DH ski racers and the mental effects of crashing hard.
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/events/Scott-Macartney-s-Comeback.html?page=all

I don't think replaying the days events will help at all, and if anything it will hurt things. If you've hit those jumps before without issue, that is what you want to replay in your head. Possitive visualization leads to possitive results. It's like biking 101; if you focus on a rock you want to avoid vs. where you want to go, guess what?, you're probably going to hit that rock.

In the article I mentioned they talk about guys coming back and starting by skiing sections of the course, instead of the whole course. You can do the same with biking and jumps. Start small and work your way up. When you are ready to hit the crime scene, follow someone who has them dialed so you don't have to worry about speed judgement.

Holy crap! Just had a chance to checkup on this thread, and all I can say is THANK YOU to all the advice, personal experiences, and general existential anecdotes. :thumb: Lots to think about; lots to implement... And inspirational in it's own right.

Along the lines of the "relearning to ride" advice, I've done just that! I've always admired the slow-speed tech skills of trials riders (especially after having had the opportunity to ride with Ryan Leech in the Yukon the year before last), and took this opportunity at "ride rebirth" to pickup an inexpensive mod (the closer to the ground I am, the better!) and start to learn some trials basics: trackstanding without even thinking about it, rocking, hopping (getting on to the rear wheel now!), and just generally getting a more intimate feeling of how bike and body connect. I've actually had more pure fun on that little mod than I have in years.

I've also - as many of the people hit on - sat back a bit and tried to examine my ride behaviors/habits, and how I can learn from this crash...make some adjustments to my mental as well as physical responses to certain situations and trail conditions... At 45, I think a little of that kind of contemplative reflection is natural, but... This crash definitely has precipitated a deeper inward gaze. What drives me to do "this"...ride like I ride...take the risks that are ALWAYS present in this sport...

The fact is, I like to challenge myself. I always try to make "informed decisions" about if/how to hit stuff but, as everyone knows, stuff can happen. In this particular case, I had been working on flowing the entire trail faster, in order to hit a set of alternate-line jumps we put in last fall. They were big(ger) than pretty much anything else on the main line, and the initial gap (~20ft) was tricky to carry speed into. I had actually cleared the line a couple times, but always felt I could do better. The particular jump I overshot was one I had landed a hundred times prior without so much as a second thought. This ONE time, however....it got me. There's a huge, high-bermed sweeper leading into it; you can carry massive speed, which requires you to scrub a little before hitting the kicker. Apparently, I didn't scrub the required amount; the extra speed changed the dynamics of my take-off just enough to boost me more than normal. I actually landed the overshoot fine, albeit somewhat off balance...it was the subsequent (little) roller jump that I landed nearly on top of that kicked me all wonky.

In any case, in terms of a helmet safety upgrade, I'm riding an ASTM DH cert Rockgardn Pearl FF for trail riding (nicely ventilated, even pedaling!), and an DOT/Snell Arai VX-Pro3 moto lid for jumps, park, and DH.

I want to thank everyone again for their the insights and advice. It gives me a lot to think about, on a lot of different levels. Riding is more or less ingrained in my soul. Like everything, however, I think there's always room for an...evolution. And sometimes it takes an event like this to spur a little Darwinism. :)

Cheers everyone. I'm definitely going to be archiving all that's been said here, for current as well as (hopefully not!) future bouts of self-doubt and introspection.

Last edited:
Wait, aren't you NOT supposed to wear a Leatt unless you are wearing a full face? Isn't it supposed worse than not wearing it at all?
Absolutely correct. The Enduro is (was) a full-face; the Archi has the exact same shell as Urge's Down-O-Matic; the chin bar is lower profile and less beefy.

The deal with a Leatt and a non-FF, as I understand it, is mainly with head hyperextension. A skid lid will not contact the rear shelf before that shelf turns into a fulcrum point, amplifying the extension forces on the cervical vertebrae.

My head tucked forward when I hit: hyperflexion. My jaw/chin and the (deformed under impact) chin bar of the Enduro contacted the Leatt sternum platform, as it was designed to do. The left underside of my jaw was bruised after the crash.

I know there is some controversy about the efficacy of Leatt's, and I wouldn't know what would have happened in terms of neck injury had I not had the Leatt on, but I do feel that in this case it did it's job. Despite the force with which I hit, I didn't have so much as a stiff neck.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Perfect timing!

My g/f took a digger over the weekend while riding her bike to meet some friends in the city. Went over the bars, head first into the pavement. Along with the expected bruises and abrasions, she got stitches where she bit through her lip, also in the back of her head where the bike hit her, and then broke both upper front teeth. One lower half, and one broke the lower half off as well as separated the front and back half of the tooth so it almost had to be completely removed. Eventually she got one dentist that said she could give both front teeth a root canal and then build them up with synthetic material. She had a root canal done to both teeth and has a temporary build up of fake tooth material at the moment along with a metal wire across the top teeth to help stabilize the crunched bone/tooth/whatever material that normally holds the teeth in place. Once that heals, she'll get her permanent fake tooth material added to her broken bits of teeth.

We were a bit worried at first, since we both thought that the one tooth would have to be completely removed and a bridge or implant would have to be put in, and I'm not so sure how 'natural' those look where the tooth meets the gum, but the solution of adding the fake tooth material to the existing teeth is a good one. I've had a half fake lower tooth for 16 years now and in addition to not being able to notice it, it seems to be wearing better than the original half of the tooth.

Good luck on your recovery, and for anyone else with fake front teeth, let's see them!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
SprungShoulders - Holy crap! Just had a chance to checkup on this thread, and all I can say is THANK YOU to all the advice, personal experiences, and general existential anecdotes. Lots to think about; lots to implement... And inspirational in it's own right.
Sprung - glad we could help!

:D

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Damn dude. At least you got a better story to go with it instead of 'fell down the stairs'. I'm a pretty cautious rider and have never been a very good jumper. The couple times I have biffed it on jumps always rattle me for a while. I just take it slow and eventually it comes back. Sounds like you are taking up trials riding, which is fun and may be a good way to go for a little while. Definitely makes me happy to be wearing a FF and a Leatt. No way to know if the Leatt ever did anything, or what the outcome would have been without, but it seems to have made you a believer.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Perfect timing!

My g/f took a digger over the weekend while riding her bike to meet some friends in the city. Went over the bars, head first into the pavement. Along with the expected bruises and abrasions, she got stitches where she bit through her lip, also in the back of her head where the bike hit her, and then broke both upper front teeth. One lower half, and one broke the lower half off as well as separated the front and back half of the tooth so it almost had to be completely removed. Eventually she got one dentist that said she could give both front teeth a root canal and then build them up with synthetic material. She had a root canal done to both teeth and has a temporary build up of fake tooth material at the moment along with a metal wire across the top teeth to help stabilize the crunched bone/tooth/whatever material that normally holds the teeth in place. Once that heals, she'll get her permanent fake tooth material added to her broken bits of teeth.

We were a bit worried at first, since we both thought that the one tooth would have to be completely removed and a bridge or implant would have to be put in, and I'm not so sure how 'natural' those look where the tooth meets the gum, but the solution of adding the fake tooth material to the existing teeth is a good one. I've had a half fake lower tooth for 16 years now and in addition to not being able to notice it, it seems to be wearing better than the original half of the tooth.

Good luck on your recovery, and for anyone else with fake front teeth, let's see them!
Fk!!!!