Quantcast

Are you getting old?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Anyone here feel like their age is catching up to them??

I'll get halfway through a day at Whistler and I'll feel destroyed....

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I am 59 now and I feel like I have slowed down some in the last couple years. All the way through 55-56, I felt like I was progressing . . . getting faster, going bigger. It's damn humbling to not feel that sense of progression.

Last time I was at Whistler, though, the 30-somethings I rode with all wanted to pack it in and hit the hot tub or pool by lunchtime :wtf:. I was good for at least 3 or 4 o'clock but nobody wanted to go.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
45 in a month. the thing i notice most about aging and riding is i just don't always need to go fast or far or get all rad. i just enjoy riding and figure on the days i just want to cruise, that's fine and on the days i want to blow it out i can.

if anything i take more risks now since i'm confident in my abilities and am better at reading the terrain and situation and have sort of figured out why bicycles do what they do when i do something i shouldn't have. after 25 years i've learned how to unfvck myself when i get myself into a bad situation.

time is my biggest enemy these days - i certainly loose my fitness faster now so breaks in riding take their toll - if i don't ride consistently i feel it next time i'm out.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
45 in a month. the thing i notice most about aging and riding is i just don't always need to go fast or far or get all rad. i just enjoy riding and figure on the days i just want to cruise, that's fine and on the days i want to blow it out i can.

if anything i take more risks now since i'm confident in my abilities and am better at reading the terrain and situation and have sort of figured out why bicycles do what they do when i do something i shouldn't have. after 25 years i've learned how to unfvck myself when i get myself into a bad situation.
All this. I'll be 45 next week and can certainly relate.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
actually, (ill be 42 in 3 months) I feel I'm in the best shape I've ever been.
riding more trail this last year.
racing more.
hitting the gym once a week
its all in the head.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I definatly don't recover half as fast as i did back in the 90s. I torn my calf muscle and its taking forever to fix it self.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
34 in a month. I don't feel all too old, I just take longer to lube the joints in the morning and recover after a couple days of hard riding.

Injuries are taking longer to heal from than they did when I was in my early 20's, but I don't feel it too bad yet.

FIgure I got at least a good 10-15 years of pushing hard left in me before I'll give in to "getting old"

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
42 I have had some injury problems but I am not sure they are really age related but alcohol has really started to hurt my fitness level. If I could just be injury free I would be in much better shape than I am now and there would be nothing to complain about.

As others have said make sure to do some training outside of just riding DH. Trail, road, core strength etc. No reason why you should no be able to be in good shape at your age.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
35 this year, and apart form haemorrhoids and loss of hair, I'm stronger and fitter than I've ever been.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
49 years old still hitting Platekill 20 times a year. Trying to ride the trail bike more as its harder to stay fit as you age. In the end it doesn't matter how old you but that your out there riding and enjoying yourself.

42 I have had some injury problems but I am not sure they are really age related but alcohol has really started to hurt my fitness level. If I could just be injury free I would be in much better shape than I am now and there would be nothing to complain about.

As others have said make sure to do some training outside of just riding DH. Trail, road, core strength etc. No reason why you should no be able to be in good shape at your age.
I thought you were my age...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This probably going to whiff of "Capt. Obvious" but Whistler days are way easier if you ride your little bike more. Fitness makes it more fun too.

But riding my little bike more has made me less interested in riding Whistler. I guess that's where the wisdom of age comes in...

39, btw. Probably in the best riding shape of my life.

Last edited:

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
My dad is 75(he'll be 76 in Sept) and is still getting his days in. At the moment he is camping in the Silver Star parking lot and is likely getting 8-12 runs in a day and doing an XC ride to get the dog out for a run.

He just had a run of 8 months straight without missing a day and managed 1000 days of riding in less than 3 years. Last year, which is likely he best year, he racked up about 350 plus days with more than 30 of them in the park. While he can't walk very well, he can ride a bike like people half his age when it comes to fitness. He also does a **** ton of trail work too.

When ever I feel old from riding(I'm 46), it only takes me a moment to give my head a shake and remind myself to suck it up.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
47 and in the best shape since college, I can do DH runs all day long for multiple days. Injuries are catching up though, i tend to shy away from stuff that can kill me.:D

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

time is my biggest enemy these days - i certainly loose my fitness faster now so breaks in riding take their toll - if i don't ride consistently i feel it next time i'm out.
45 later this year. I agree with most of this but I am taking less risks - or at least, different kinds of risks. I'm faster on trails than even before and with speed, the consequences go up. But I'm riding a lot less jumps and real DH these days, for a variety of reasons.

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
ive thought why my nose hair grow faster than my ear hair.. i guess im still young.. I look forward to see the reverse trend!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have never owned a dual suspension bike other than DH bikes as I believed riding XC on a dually was for pussies, starting to think it's for pussies and old people now.
Maybe a cr-mo 29er hardtail before I go full squish.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Been ****ing myself up since the age of 13..it was only 30years later I decided to calm down a bit