Quantcast

Are Enve carbon rims more prone to pinch flats?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You had me up untill the worth the investement part. If you have spare cash yeah but 2k$ on rims? That's 4weeks+ of bike trips.
I agree completely. Bikes are good now, they're still going to be relevant for a few seasons in the future.
Eventually you're going to want to spend more money, and when you do you'll consider a pair of wheels.
You know it's true...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
go ride a pair of carbon wheels, then report back.
I understand the differance is noticable and If you didn't notice before I am an advocate of carbon so chill out. I'm just saying no single part change is worth that much. I've made some changes in my bikes that I belive were great in the last few years but 2k$? I just calculated it and It would allow me to go to Morzine for 7 weeks without any sweat. Guess which one would impact my riding by a larger margin?

I'd gladly get a pair of carbon wheels but that will only happen if a) I earn at least 4 times as much b) they get cheaper.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
go ride a pair of carbon wheels, then report back.
It just depends on how much money you have, really. I'm sure carbon rims perform better, but I'd have to spend more money than I have and risk instigating a divorce if I bought a set. If I had more money, I'd be on it, though. Basically, what carbon rims are worth depends more on how much you can/are willing to spend than on the potential performance gains.

May be the same with DH tubulars too. I wouldn't mind having them if I could afford 2 carbon wheelsets and tires for them. I don't know that the risk of rolling the tire off the rim is a huge concern; yeah, it could happen, but XC and CX riders run tubulars at very low pressures and (especially for CX) the gluing surface is smaller than for a DH rim and tire. I do wonder, however, if the need for stiffer and tougher sidewalls on a DH tire would cancel out the supple casings that are one of the main benefits of tubulars.