Quantcast

Anyone on a TR500? Need help determining rear spring rate.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I ride a medium TR450. 165-175lbs, 450lbs rear spring. Sometimes it feels a smidge soft.

I am ordering a tr500, they suggested a 350. I thought I'd want to stick with the same-ish.

Anyone out there have some thoughts?

For reference I'm a Cat2 ish rider, not super fast, and I don't go all redbull rampage.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am the same weight as you on a medium TR500. I run a CCDB with a 400 pound spring and it is perfect.
You do not want to stick with the same spring on your 450. The 500 will require a lighter spring because of the different lev. ratio.

PS It rides awesome.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am the same weight as you on a medium TR500. I run a CCDB with a 400 pound spring and it is perfect.
You do not want to stick with the same spring on your 450. The 500 will require a lighter spring because of the different lev. ratio.

PS It rides awesome.
Hmm, he told me the leverage ratio was the same as on the 450.

And I agree, springs are cheap and easy to swap, I may just order a 400 and a 450

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yes, given that the 450 and 500 have the same amount of travel and a 3" stroke shock, the leverage ratio will be the same. However, the leverage curves are moderately different, with the 450 having a higher leverage value for much of the latter part of the stroke according to this graph -

So assuming the above is correct (which is certainly a bold assumption, but hopefully it's close), it would stand to reason you would run a lighter spring, especially if you're talking about the same shock.

EDIT - I'm assuming you're going to be running the 500 in the longer travel setting, as things may change and require a different spring in the shorter travel setting.

Btw, enjoy the new ride and post up a review when you've gotten some ride time in. Perhaps something a little more verbose than Jeremy's decidedly concise, if informative, summary. Or even better, just make speculative claims based on unconfirmed linkage graphs and forego the riding part ;)

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry, I don't have any Ross Perot pie charts to illustrate awesome, so I will just type some words.
The TR500 is supple off of the top of its travel, but extremely smooth and consistent throughout the entire stroke. There is nothing weird feeling anywhere in the travel. It just feels level and steady. Also, all the weight on this frame feels very low, and with a low bb (13.5) it feels great in the corners without upsetting the chassis any. As far as Dh bikes go, it is really easy to just hop on this bike and go. A straight forward ripper.
And as ole Ross P. above me pointed out, it does feel a good bit stiffer in the 180 setting. I think most people would want a different spring for the two different travel points. Enough words, here is a pic...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Yes, given that the 450 and 500 have the same amount of travel and a 3" stroke shock, the leverage ratio will be the same. However, the leverage curves are moderately different, with the 450 having a higher leverage value for much of the latter part of the stroke according to this graph -

So assuming the above is correct (which is certainly a bold assumption, but hopefully it's close), it would stand to reason you would run a lighter spring, especially if you're talking about the same shock.

EDIT - I'm assuming you're going to be running the 500 in the longer travel setting, as things may change and require a different spring in the shorter travel setting.

Btw, enjoy the new ride and post up a review when you've gotten some ride time in. Perhaps something a little more verbose than Jeremy's decidedly concise, if informative, summary. Or even better, just make speculative claims based on unconfirmed linkage graphs and forego the riding part ;)
Thanks!!

it should be here on Thursday, going to get it built up and then my first ride on it will be at the Pro-GRT at Beech mountain.

I'll be sure to give a slow guys review for you all, I may even add it to my already completely useless review/comparison on my tr450, a giant faith, a V-10 and specialized big hit thread.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
350-375 looks good to me, 400 is the highest I will go. 450 is going to be useless.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I went 400lbs, it felt pretty good on our local trails, never felt any bottoming. Bike felt just like my tr450, except better in every aspect. I felt right at home on the bike, but felt like it was improved everywhere.

Bealsie7

Chimp
May 25, 2014

PS It rides awesome.
Do you have a good base tune as a kicking off point for the CCdb on the TR500 please Jeremy R?

Thanks.