Quantcast

Anyone here ever have a "high ankle sprain", aka tib/fib syndesmotic injury?

it looks increasingly likely i got one today when i came up short and cased a road gap hard. Rode out of it (somewhat) and layed it over because of the pain. Aside from my pride, my left ankle took the impact. From what I've read, it's a somewhat rare "sprain" but fraught with a very long/variable recovery time (6-12weeks) and poor healing/residual ankle issues.

my wife drove my hurt sorry ass to the hospital so i could shoot a quick spot xray to make sure it wasn't something requiring immediate intervention. (and i skipped the ER wait)

My official x-rays are tomorrow and the ortho doc will give me a definitive diagnosis and plan. Not sure if I am to wish for surgery or not. 2 big screws thru the tib/fib to stabilize, which likely gives a better healing result. or "conservative" treatment which takes nearly the same recovery time anyways.

*sigh*

if you've had one, I'd like to hear it.

Last edited:

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I feel your pain. fractured my ankle when i slipped a pedal off the final wooden table at bromont on saturday. waiting on the ortho to see how long im out. The ER doc said no surgery was needed so thats good.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rolled my ankle 3-4 weeks ago bouldering. Happened to be the only wall that doesn't have the padded floor and instead uses the big padded mats and I just happened to fall from pretty much the top right in between two of the mats. Hurt like crazy and my foot swelled up quick, was able to limp out after a few minutes of panic-breathing. I finally got a short run on it on Friday and it's still a bit swollen and tender for sure. I can ride pretty much fine though, just not spend my entire day on my feet and walk 10 miles. Wanted to do a multi-day backpacking trip, that's right out of the picture. I'm trying my best not to reinjure it, but I think I think it's going to take another 3-4 weeks before it really starts to feel close to 90% and I can run as far as I want.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
My left foot got turned almost all the way facing backwards July 7, 2013

I actually had to push it back into the normal position. I put an air cast on it within 2 weeks I was riding canal trail I was Xc riding within a month and was dh'ing within 8weeks

It hurts still to this day. I put a brace on it when I dh sometimes when I Xc

This was the afternoon it happened
image.jpg

This was the next day after walking on it all day
image.jpg

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
I rolled my ankle in a skatepark, breaking tib / fib and tearing my syndesmosis.. The surgery was as you explained, two pins across tib/fib and a plate on the fibula..

I started PT as soon as I could (can't quite remember how far along, probably 6-8 weeks) but within 12 weeks I was back to racing, albeit in an ankle brace that was worn the rest of the summer.

Be consistent with the PT and rest whenever possible and you'll be back on it.