Quantcast

Anyone else not happy with the Hayes G2 caliper design?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My issue is with how the hydro line comes off of the caliper. I have yet to see a frame or fork, but especially frames, where the caliper mounts up well. Some are "OK", but most of what I have seen could be classified as "poor". On most bikes, it seems like you end up with a large loop of line begging to be caught on something. I've been cutting off the stock fitting and replacing them with the older 90deg banjo style.
Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues/concerns. Other than that though, the brakes are great. At least they don't have the cheap brass Hope-style banjo fittings that crack when you look at them the wrong way!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Repack said:
My issue is with how the hydro line comes off of the caliper. I have yet to see a frame or fork, but especially frames, where the caliper mounts up well. Some are "OK", but most of what I have seen could be classified as "poor". On most bikes, it seems like you end up with a large loop of line begging to be caught on something. I've been cutting off the stock fitting and replacing them with the older 90deg banjo style.
Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues/concerns. Other than that though, the brakes are great. At least they don't have the cheap brass Hope-style banjo fittings that crack when you look at them the wrong way!

me

i hate the cheapo precrimp on the hose that caliper uses, besides, is that supposed ventilation doing any good for any of you?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
vitox said:
me

i hate the cheapo precrimp on the hose that caliper uses, besides, is that supposed ventilation doing any good for any of you?
Word. I've split a few on longer travel forks right at the crimp. But the cooling oh yeah my god what a difference, my old style calipers just sucked because they just didn't seem to cool off. :rolleyes:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
vitox said:
me

The line routing is the only thing I have issue with. I have limited riding experience on G2 calipers, but have set up several. My only issue is the setup and seeing how they mount to other frames, not the functionality.