Quantcast

Anybody use XTR pedals for dh?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I use the 530s, cuz they are dirt cheap and relatively light (much lighter than 647s or 545s), they are the same basic idea as XT or XTR trail, 'cept 80g heavier and you can buy 4 sets for the price of one XTR set.

They are everything good about a shimano pedal, dead reliable, can take a beating, but getting in is more difficult than 545s or 647s, the "upward cant" of the mech on those pedals helps immensely when you put your foot down to clip back in. The shimano "trail" pedal design is not as good for this. Depending on how "extreme" your DH riding is, it may not be a good idea for this reason, but as a light do-everything or "race-day" pedal, maybe...

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've been using XTR Trails for 1,5 season. Great pedals. Strong, reliable, light, but not cheap.
If you can afford them, get them. If you're on the budget, get XTs.
But if you don't need them now (this season), wait for new HT SPD, which seem to have bigger platform with pins, IIRC. They were going to be released this year, but are still under development with Gwinny's help.
http://www.triridemtb.com/en/aaron-gwin-signs-ht-components/

This is a 2011 prototype, which was scratched

I've been told HT is working on merging EVO AE01 with SPD mechanism

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I use the 530s, cuz they are dirt cheap and relatively light (much lighter than 647s or 545s), they are the same basic idea as XT or XTR trail, 'cept 80g heavier and you can buy 4 sets for the price of one XTR set.

They are everything good about a shimano pedal, dead reliable, can take a beating, but getting in is more difficult than 545s or 647s, the "upward cant" of the mech on those pedals helps immensely when you put your foot down to clip back in. The shimano "trail" pedal design is not as good for this. Depending on how "extreme" your DH riding is, it may not be a good idea for this reason, but as a light do-everything or "race-day" pedal, maybe...
Are you referring to the a530 Touring pedals? You can only clip into those on one side, right?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I've been using the XTR platforms for a while now on my trail bike, absolutely love them, I can get temporary grip if not clipped in, and I CLICK right into them every time I even get near the clip mechanism. I might be throwing them on my DH bike as well.