Quantcast

Any Tuf Rack Users?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
haha, yes, that too.

btw, did you ever get the "creaky arm" syndrome? One of my arms is squeaky as hell, and I'm worried about lubing it given that the system relies on friction. Any fixes you know of?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't think I have an issue with that. I usually just put a little WD-40 or silicone spray or whatever I have laying around every couple months or so. I think the lock mechanism has little teeth on it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The new 1Up's have small indents on the rail rather than relying purely on friction. Not sure if that's because of creaky arms with the original smooth rails or what, but the newer ones are even more secure.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
my buddy ian has a 1UP for his mini, Ianjenn you know him, he's a SLO local we all rode tunnel together once upon a time...you should definitely check it out, its a slick looking rack but pretty spendy. I personally am not a fan of the cam latch design on the 1UP, but it is definitely a nice rack, and it sounds like they fixed the issue of it creating gouges in the aluminum over time. No idea how he sells them as cheap as he does and makes a decent profit; There is a ton of machine time into them, and it's all quality hardware.

i did this for my Mini. I just took 2 of the rails off the 4 bike T2 my in-laws store in my garage. its just 1.25 box tubing welded to 2x2 box tubing with the Thule rails bolted to it, its lighter than the 1UP (in 2 bike mode it weighs maybe 30 lbs). I also made a hitch stub thats only long enough for 1 bike, that one is crazy light and only sticks out about 12" from the bumper. I just didn't want to compromise the handling of the car a ton, and the 1-1/4" hitch T2 is one of the ghettoest solutions I've seen.

every time i've seen a tough rack, i just think "ABOMINATION". and the one time i used one on a shuttle vehicle I was not overly impressed.

i watched a guy snap the front part of his Kuat rack off trying to clamp the tire hook down. whatever engineer thought using plastic clamps for the front wheel tray extension instead of a full length metal tray like everyone else is an idiot. still, i laughed, cause 30 second prior he was bragging about what an awesome tough indestructible super rack it was...

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well it turned out to be cheaper to keep the paid for 7.3 with 235K miles on it and drive 40 miles a day then do a newer car to save some $$$ in gas.

So no hitch rack needed at this point. Unless the MX bikes start again then I may look back into them for the truck!

I will check Ian's out and see what it looks like.

Thanks

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well ended up getting a 1UP so the 7.3 can have two bikes off the back and eventually 4. The thing is pretty slick. Very well made.....