Quantcast

Any one remember 3.0 inch tires? Phil wood needs to stop right now!

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
If I am not wrong I believe you are all missing something. That is a surley tire for a fat tire bike. They are real popular around the trails here. I think what they are showing is the custom fork crowns for a Dorado to fit on the fat bike. most fat bikes have rigid forks because no one makes a wide fork.Big fat baloon tire, fat hub, wide wheels all hooked up with a dorado? Would be a blast in the rocks.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
If I am not wrong I believe you are all missing something. That is a surley tire for a fat tire bike. They are real popular around the trails here. I think what they are showing is the custom fork crowns for a Dorado to fit on the fat bike. most fat bikes have rigid forks because no one makes a wide fork.Big fat baloon tire, fat hub, wide wheels all hooked up with a dorado? Would be a blast in the rocks.
truth, lotta people use fat tire bikes too, I guess I just associate those super fat tires with snow bikes. But you're right, and I bet regular fat tire bikes are a bigger market.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Given that they slapped it on to the front of a DH bike, I'm guessing they are hyping the idea of using a fat tire for DH, with a special fork.

It's like fat bikes are the new 29'ers: Fat bikes are fun, so a DH bike with fat tires will be more funnerer. :rolleyes:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't imagine riding a fat tire in the front and not in the rear...but I've never ridden one period so who knows. Hanebrink was doing something like this for a while, with his awful fork. I imagine you'd get gobs of suspension and traction with it, so you'd need less travel, but I can't imagine you'd be able to get it to handle well any time soon. There are leftys with fat tire conversions...eh, it'd be fun at plattekill with some beers before/after.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i foresee, that at some point in the not so distant future...

downhill bikes will essentially become motos without engines, made from exotic materials at 1/2 the speed and twice the price of proper motos, made for image-conscious label-loving douches....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's what I thought initially, but then it does look like that fork is slapped on the front of a V10c?
Because they're trying to push some new crowns apparently. Probably because the only way to get suspension on something like a moonlander would be with aftermarket parts such as these? The tires aren't made for DH on a regular bike at all, they'd be downright scary at high speed. (I've ridden a moonlander with those exact tires on a relatively tame trail... scary.)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i foresee, that at some point in the not so distant future...

downhill bikes will essentially become motos without engines, made from exotic materials at 1/2 the speed and twice the price of proper motos, made for image-conscious label-loving douches....
.......aaaaannddd

Here we are.

You called it man. Nice work. Not sure how you could have seen that coming two hours ago but you were spot on.