Quantcast

Any Monkies living in LA?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Planning a short trip and staying in the Santa Monica area. Would like to get more of a feel for that part of the city and suggestions of things to see?
Third Street Promenade and the pier next to it is the big Santa Monica thing. There's s Ferris wheel and arcade. Look up Santa Monica Pier. Every Thursday in the summer they have concerts on the Pier which can be hugely attended. There are some special events at times. If Glow is going to be happening you should go. It is a huge lights festival and pretty awesome from what I've heard. For some trendy drinking, the Penthouse on top of the Huntley hotel is douche friendly. There are other roof top bars in the area.

A little farther south is the Venice beach boardwalk and canals area. Parking in Venice can be insane. The Venice beach area has some good tourist stuff. Gold's gym outdoor where Arnold trained is still going. There's an oddities and freak show type museum. Street vendors. Drum circles. Skate park. Open air market. You can rent a bike and pedal to Venice from Santa Monica via the paved walk and bike path along the sand. You could walk it too but it takes a bit longer.

North of Santa Monica, up PCH is Malibu. There are some great restaurants on the beach. Parking along the beach is tough but if you can find it, you can watch SoCal surfing.

If you want to hike, check Sullivan Canyon. It's off Sunset up in the hills. It's a great hike and bike trail. Tree covered. Leads up to dirt Mullhland. An alternative would be the Will Rogers State Park. They have events there and you can hike into Santa Monica's Backbone trail. Getting to a section called Eagle Rock takes some time but the views are great. There are plenty of other closer good views. This will connect you to the Sullivan canyon trail if you've got the time and legs.

Malibu Creek State Park is another hike option. You can see the original film site for some MASH's scenes. Nothing else amazing there but still nice. Not a horribly far drive from Santa Monica.

I'd say the drive down Sunset Blvd from Santa Monica to Hollywood is worth seeing. You'll go through Brentwood and past UCLA. It's twisty and interesting to see the houses, if you like such things.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
That's a bit of a hike from Santa Monica. Possibly worth it if time permits. I'd say tacos alone there aren't necessarily better than ones available closer to SM, but there are other sights to make it worthwhile.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That's a bit of a hike from Santa Monica. Possibly worth it if time permits. I'd say tacos alone there aren't necessarily better than ones available closer to SM, but there are other sights to make it worthwhile.
It's been a looooong time since I was there, but my parents still talk about Olvera street. Lots of little weird shops/booths.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Scuba Diving off the beach in Malibu is awesome. La Chuza Point, off Broad Beach rd in Trancas and Harrisons reef LA / Ventura county line are spectacular. You can rent full gear at Malibu Divers PCH and Las Flores canyon about 5 miles north of Santa Monica

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I was there on vacation around Easter and basically we did everything mandown said. Every morning We would get coffee at ground works coffee in Venice and walk the boardwalk to the SM pier and back. "The firehouse" was our daily breakfast place and we favored "candle cafe" for dinner

I rented a pivot Mach 6 carbon from topanga creek bike shop put over 100 miles on it riding from Santa Monica to will Rogers park or going up passeo miramar road to trail head killer climb and views.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The Getty and The Getty Villa are good options for more artsy family stuff. They are two different locations, but admission is free to each.

Santa Monica had a lawn bowling park if you are down with that.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was there on vacation around Easter and basically we did everything mandown said. Every morning We would get coffee at ground works coffee in Venice and walk the boardwalk to the SM pier and back. "The firehouse" was our daily breakfast place and we favored "candle cafe" for dinner

I rented a pivot Mach 6 carbon from topanga creek bike shop put over 100 miles on it riding from Santa Monica to will Rogers park or going up passeo miramar road to trail head killer climb and views.
So good mountain biking basically in town?

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
It was 4-6 mile bike ride to trails on the paved beach trail and the bikini women made the paved ride nice

I'm from upstate NY the trails there are smooth compared to here

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
So good mountain biking basically in town?
It's a fun little XC ride through Sullivan Canyon. After that is just fire road stuff. Fine rides but nothing special. Off the 101 and 118 freeways there are spots. Hummingbird is pretty cool. Some others are less legal.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Pick North or pick West, and drive in one of those directions for 1-2 hours until LA is no longer in sight, and you may have some space to yourself and some nice scenery to enjoy.