Quantcast

any info/thoughts on "new" v10 and WB 2.0?

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
hello, if any of you have or have ridden the white bros 2.0 or the new SC v10 id love to hear some of your thoughts, likes, dislikes etc, thank you

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I have a White Bros DH 2.0 and i could be any happier with it. It is by far the best fork ive ever owned, from damping, to feel, to quality it far surpasses all of my previous forks (all zokes) The fork feels great wether you are hucking or racing DH, it has rebound, compression, and progressiveness adjustments so it is very easy to perfectly dial it in for whatever you are doing. There is also a trick to tune spring rates just by using some PVC and tweaking some stuff, so you dont need to buy a new spring if your heavy, and you can change the springrate for no cost to you in about 10min to switch the fork from huge drop never bottom, to DH plushness. (dont worry this is a WB ok'd mod) Its also much stiffer than my shiver i had a year back, and its very light to 7.75lbs. Id highly recommend one

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ViolentVolante said:
There is also a trick to tune spring rates just by using some PVC and tweaking some stuff, so you dont need to buy a new spring if your heavy, and you can change the springrate for no cost to you in about 10min to switch the fork from huge drop never bottom, to DH plushness. (dont worry this is a WB ok'd mod)
Question: how would one go about changing the spring rate with some PVC?? You sure you're not just preloading the spring?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ViolentVolante said:
I have a White Bros DH 2.0 and i could be any happier with it. It is by far the best fork ive ever owned, from damping, to feel, to quality it far surpasses all of my previous forks (all zokes) The fork feels great wether you are hucking or racing DH, it has rebound, compression, and progressiveness adjustments so it is very easy to perfectly dial it in for whatever you are doing. There is also a trick to tune spring rates just by using some PVC and tweaking some stuff, so you dont need to buy a new spring if your heavy, and you can change the springrate for no cost to you in about 10min to switch the fork from huge drop never bottom, to DH plushness. (dont worry this is a WB ok'd mod) Its also much stiffer than my shiver i had a year back, and its very light to 7.75lbs. Id highly recommend one
You forgot to add they kick ass for urban curb drops:thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ViolentVolante said:
very sure, you just gotta know the guts of the WB forks
please explain. fork springs are linear (in theory), no? :confused:

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
Morgan said:
hello, if any of you have or have ridden the white bros 2.0 or the new SC v10 id love to hear some of your thoughts, likes, dislikes etc, thank you
If you can actually get one of the new v-10s within the next 4 months... do it and NEVER LOOK BACK. that bike basically took everything i could have said i had issues with on the 04 v-10 and nailed while making the whole thing 2 lbs lighter. the steepened up the HT and shortened the wheelbase and chainstay. they also lowered the weight in and on the frame with a slightly lower BB and that thing FOCKING RAILS. corner like mad and can pedal through ANYTHING...im not to partial to the WB forks but i hear the newer one could change my mind. rite now its ALL about the FOX DH fork :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ViolentVolante said:
very sure, you just gotta know the guts of the WB forks

Well... You can't really be modifying the spring rate. I mean, the spring is a piece of wound steel, it's spring rate is what it is. Is it some kind of compression modification?

I'm interested! When you get a minute, please explain.

Morgan

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
all lit up
v10"o-PlEaSuRe said:
If you can actually get one of the new v-10s within the next 4 months... do it and NEVER LOOK BACK. that bike basically took everything i could have said i had issues with on the 04 v-10 and nailed while making the whole thing 2 lbs lighter. the steepened up the HT and shortened the wheelbase and chainstay. they also lowered the weight in and on the frame with a slightly lower BB and that thing FOCKING RAILS. corner like mad and can pedal through ANYTHING...im not to partial to the WB forks but i hear the newer one could change my mind. rite now its ALL about the FOX DH fork :thumb:

i have one shot chnce to get one and just didnt want it to be a compulsive buy, lol, thanks for all the help!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
binary visions said:
Well... You can't really be modifying the spring rate. I mean, the spring is a piece of wound steel, it's spring rate is what it is. Is it some kind of compression modification?

I'm interested! When you get a minute, please explain.
in simple terms, the 2.0 has several springs inside, not all with the same spring rate, and they can in total do more than 8" travel, so what you are doing is just controlling the engagement point of the different springs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
vitox said:
in simple terms, the 2.0 has several springs inside, not all with the same spring rate, and they can in total do more than 8" travel, so what you are doing is just controlling the engagement point of the different springs.
Gotcha :thumb:

Thanks!

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Funny I just rode a new V-10 with a WB fork this past weekend. Oh man... that bike was soooooooooo goooood. Just found out that the little hump at the headtube is modeled after a Ducati... I just made it that much cooler because I'm a HUGE fan of Ducati... also adds structure. I will have mine in a few weeks. :evil:

TOWN

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Jestere said:
Hey dhtahoe, I have a chance to get my hands on a VP-Free or a new V-10 for when I head up to N*. Which would you suggest? Never been up there and I have little experiance with bit-hit bikes (Only my little heckler).
Either works great at N*. Rob Roskopp the owner of Santa Cruz rides a VP-Free and huals ass on it. So try one one weekend and try the other some other time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree with Town, it's something of a wash if the Free will have an 8" fork, 'cuz that will make it slack enough for the steeps sections and rock gardens up there. If you're talking about borrowing a bike or something (as opposed to buying one) ride the new V10, you'll appreciate the slacker head angle in the steeps and rocks. If you're buying a bike, the free is more versatile for different riding situations but for lift-assisted dh the new V10 is the way to go.

PS, how are you lucky enough to have a choice?

I will not be buying one this year, I'm only gonna be able to head up to N* for one day this year (Family Vacation, can only have 2 days of riding :( ) Thanks for the information, I will see whats avalible when the time of the trip gets closer. Maybe I'll get really lucky and be able to take both,It will help me choose which one to buy next year. And if you live in Santa Cruz and know the right people, these kind of things aren't to hard to come by.