Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Nah, I just looked at some photos, and I must be thinking of a different car. I could have sworn some of the early ones Schumacher was driving had that really sharp nose, but none of them did. Who else had a livery that looked like something Flav doodled on the plane?

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Trick question, he preferred tracked vehicles.
The OP asked if there are any F1 fans and or Hitler fans. I have relatives in the Brotherhood and I am just as afraid of them as I am of the OP. Hence my reluctance to ask him about that. I find Hitler kind of creepy and my limited research indicates that Hitler was not a fan of F1. He seemed to like killing and enslavement. I have often wondered if Hitlers inner circle had introduced him to Marijauna if perhaps maybe we could have avoided not only my recurring questions but WW2.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pretty much all of Germany was on the race team back in the 40's...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
And if there was F1 racing back then, IG Farben would have produced the tires with Polish slave labor.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I could use someone to blame for that car looking like a trade show mock-up of a real F1 car, not that any of the other manufacturers' offerings are any better (save for perhaps the McLaren).

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I could use someone to blame for that car looking like a trade show mock-up of a real F1 car, not that any of the other manufacturers' offerings are any better (save for perhaps the McLaren).
their time and performance would verify that
its still early:D

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
people were starting to question McLaren and Ferrari for their exhaust and how it could be possibly blowing over the rear diffuser. Whiting said they are legal so it should be interesting to see if they are getting a slight advantage from that

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA

Seeing pictures of the RB8's rear suspension and half shafts make me think this season is already signed, sealed, delivered. It's so clean!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I stopped in at the Qatar motor show during a layover a couple of weekends ago and stumbled upon some very nice gentleman from their new headquarters in Qatar. After proving I was a fan they gave me an incredible experience in their brand new simulator and let me play around with a couple of real f1 steering wheels. I cracked a joke and asked if they one I was holding was the one Rubens spiked in Monaco, turns out that steering wheel is actually used on their real simulator back at HQ.

Truth be told, this is an incredible piece of machinery! Built by just 4 people in less than 2 months in Qatar of all places. In 3 laps around Abu Dhabi's Yaz Marina circuit I managed to get the car up to 312 kph and nearly broke my hands spinning out at about 200 exiting a corner. Between that and making a prince wait for me to drive. I left with quite a smile on my face and an experience I will never forget. Thanks Williams of Qatar!

Here are some crappy photos:

The simulator is literally cut from an old chassis and mounted to its hydraulic mechanisms.

The portable brain trust.

Steering wheel

Fuzzy math and other wind tunnel vector mumbo jumbo posterized.

The old days

I think i could attach this to my Jeep's steering column no problem. How much?

Some other miscellaneous from the show.

Scuderria

This car looks unreal in person. Cartoon like.

This would be special, but they had one of these parked next to an Audi R8 in the duty free shop in the airport.

A fav

Audi R18

Look at that salad bar!

This being Qatar I'm pretty sure he is the owner.

Doha, Qatar skyline. Almost every building in this picture is vacant.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
awesome pics! sounds like a car show that is actually worth going to. leave it to the rich arab countries to have stuff like that there. and i think we're all pretty jealous you got to drive a real simulator!

and all those buildings are really vacant?? did they just build them because they can?

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I see this new carbon composite battery technology making it to F1 eventually.

Torches, drones and an electric Le Mans racing car are all test-beds for a new kind of "structural battery", BAE Systems has said. The batteries use carbon fibre and can form part of the body of a device. By effectively building the power source into the fabric of an object they can save weight.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
and all those buildings are really vacant?? did they just build them because they can?
Predictions were slightly optimistic for vacancy levels. Still, it turns out that when you import workers from Asia and take their passports, they essentially become slightly compensated slaves. Keeps building costs down.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
are those rotors glowing?
ever since i heard the guys on Speed talking about how each rotor takes 6 months to make, ive been trying to find any info on them

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yes they are. Looks like he just came in for a practice pit stop, so the brakes were just starting to cool from the quick stop hence the faint glow.

Also, holy crap! The RB8!

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
its maybe also a visual inspection port to check the rotor. i doubt it effects cooling much since it sits pretty deep in the wheel and their ducts probably channel a huge amount of air into them

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Velocity TV just aired "Grand Prix- Killer Years." awesome documentary about F1 in the 60-70's.
Holy ****. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know how bad (I mean, I knew from a numbers view, but not from an emotional view.)

There's about 10 guys in there you don't get ANY details on. Just, "Gino McFrenchy died that fall on track, burned to death in a fire."

Jesus Christ...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah, we just watched it again just now and its still crazy to hear the lack of safety (or care) they put into the racers...loaning old fire suits to the fireman, no idea if a hospital is closed, no fire equipment. those racers had balls the size of bowling balls. and they had great hair