Quantcast

Any Formula 1 Fans?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah i remember seeing that. i thought you meant the radio broadcast that was silenced when he heard about his drive-through.
i wonder why they were so concerned about saving the engine for a bad alternator

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

Sorry, one last brag.... my photo from the photography stand on the Parabolica.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
yeah i remember seeing that. i thought you meant the radio broadcast that was silenced when he heard about his drive-through.
i wonder why they were so concerned about saving the engine for a bad alternator
Who knows, especially with F1 levels of expected perfection, but maybe a lesson learned from the European GP or conflicts with KERS?

Sorry, one last brag.... my photo from the photography stand on the Parabolica.
So sick. Makes me want to grow up to be a F1 camera man.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
They don't have batteries (well non-KERS batteries) do they? I'd guess that killing the fuel and oil pumps could have a nasty effect, also not sure where the valves would sit?
i do believe they have a battery on board, though it obviously isnt there for starting. they are really small which could be why they were concerned (of it running dry and the car completely dying.)
i suppose you are right since they are probably dry sump and losing power would be an issue. the valves are pneumatic but probably also controlled electrically somehow .

edit: of course, Scarb's blog has moar info
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/06/28/renault-european-gp-alternator-failures/

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
wow, a legend in F1 has passed.
RIP Sid

(Reuters) - Professor Sid Watkins, the Formula One doctor who tended to Ayrton Senna after his fatal crash at Imola in 1994 and who saved the lives of countless others through his work on safety, has died at the age of 84.

As word spread around Formula One of his death late on Wednesday, confirmed by a source close to the family, tributes poured in from drivers and all whose lives were touched by the wise-cracking neurosurgeon with a love of cigars and whisky.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/motor-racing-watkins-idINL3E8KD00020120913

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you haven't read his book, it's worth a read. If you can't find a copy, pm me and I'll mail you mine as long as you promise to pass it on :D It's a short read, but good.

Perez to McLaren...didn't really expect that. Sucks to be DiResta, because apparently Massa might be safe. And does Schumacher retire? He must, right? Or does he go to Sauber?

Crazy.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
If you haven't read his book, it's worth a read. If you can't find a copy, pm me and I'll mail you mine as long as you promise to pass it on :D It's a short read, but good.

Perez to McLaren...didn't really expect that. Sucks to be DiResta, because apparently Massa might be safe. And does Schumacher retire? He must, right? Or does he go to Sauber?

Crazy.
i just bought steve olvey´s book a couple weeks ago from amazon (still waiting for delivery).
will get watkins´ book. am always very interested in tales and anecdotes from racing.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Cool I'll pm you when I get to a computer.

Hamilton to Merc, Schumi out ( maybe sauber) and perez to McLaren....worst kept "secret."
Massa said he will more then likely be with Ferrari next year and rightfully so. Alonso even said, no one else would/could compare to him

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
sh!tty news that Speed is losing their F1 broadcast rights next year and will be going to a all sports format.
I love listening to Matchett, Hobbs and Buxton...i could do without Varsha i think

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
sh!tty news that Speed is losing their F1 broadcast rights next year and will be going to a all sports format.
I love listening to Matchett, Hobbs and Buxton...i could do without Varsha i think
moving to nbc....

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i saw that but didnt see if that was official. they do an okay job broadcasting the Indy car series and a handful of other series. . thankfully we'll still have live broadcasts of races

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
What a hell of a race. I might be biased as a Kimi fan, perhaps?

How about Vettel forcing past Button? That took big balls for a few extra points, a DNF would have been terrible for him. Also, scary scary scary seeing Rosberg go over the top like that.

Last edited:

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Pretty excited for this race, any way to watch it in the US? I usually just download it, but want to watch it live (in HD, not some terrible web broadcast.)

I'd like to see Alonso do well, but my money is on Vettal.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
So bummed I couldnt make it to the race this year but I'm looking forward to watching on TV. I hope there are no hiccups here that could trickle down the line and affect the other 2 prospects in North America.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
So bummed I couldnt make it to the race this year but I'm looking forward to watching on TV. I hope there are no hiccups here that could trickle down the line and affect the other 2 prospects in North America.
The last USGP that I was really excited for was in 2005 and, well, that one didn't turn out so well. Like you said, hoping for no hiccups here. Watching the onboards this morning, it looks like a fantastic track.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Pretty excited for this race, any way to watch it in the US?
its on Speed tomorrow starting at 1:30 as usuall

i didnt think there was anything else lined up in the US besides the NJ one..if that ever happens.
i saw the turnout for qualies today and it looked packed, which is awesome. the track and circuit look amazing.

Excited to see the Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett will be on NBC next year. still hoping that Buxton is the pit reporter

Last edited:

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
its on Speed tomorrow starting at 1:30 as usuall

i didnt think there was anything else lined up in the US besides the NJ one..if that ever happens.
i saw the turnout for qualies today and it looked packed, which is awesome. the track and circuit look amazing.

Excited to see the Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett will be on NBC next year. still hoping that Buxton is the pit reporter
I didnt know speed broadcasted it, this would be even better if I had it. I guess my comcast account doesnt get it. Should be good to have it on NBC though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I knew it was leaving speed, didn't know it was going to NBC. Does this mean they'll time delay every race broadcast though?...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I knew it was leaving speed, didn't know it was going to NBC. Does this mean they'll time delay every race broadcast though?...
No. They said they'll have the majority of them live like Speed but will have some time delayed when their air on NBC.

Speed was saying Ferrari broke the seal to Massa's transmission which earned him a 5 grid spot penalty which moves Alonso to the clean side of the track. I love Ferrari

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Speed was saying Ferrari broke the seal to Massa's transmission which earned him a 5 grid spot penalty which moves Alonso to the clean side of the track. I love Ferrari
the broadcasters impersonation of the mechanic explaining it to the judges a couple of minutes ago was funny as sh!t...

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
man it's a huge deal, i'm only 2 hours away from the track and couldnt watch it on TV. That sucks. What also sucks is I could have gotten in on the $150 tickets but nobody wanted to go that that time. Then just last week the same people got excited about it and paid $1500 to go. I cannot afford. Fvck that.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
. What also sucks is I could have gotten in on the $150 tickets but nobody wanted to go that that time. Then just last week the same people got excited about it and paid $1500 to go. I cannot afford. Fvck that.
Lol figures.
I love when the championship comes down to Brazil. Let's hope Vettel has a KERS problem next race!