Quantcast

Annoying Race Face Bits

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a buddy with some SixC cranks he wants to sell off a threaded 73mm BB trail bike. I want to put these on my DH bike if possible (threaded 83mm). I know I need the 30mm spindle bearings and I don't see why that plastic spacer in the middle is all that important so I'm planning on just using his cups as well.

The cinch stuff claims interchangeable spindles so I'm looking for an 83mm version. No one seems to have them, including BTI. Everywhere I've found them, they're either 73mm or some fat bike BS. Does raceface even sell these things? It looks like if you want to truly have two spindles, you have to buy the 83s, and then buy a 73. Anyone know where to find one of these? Or even better, have one you want to sell?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The reason you can't find anything is because they're all sitting in shipping containers, 200 feet offshore. The longshoremen were on strike for awhile.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The reason you can't find anything is because they're all sitting in shipping containers, 200 feet offshore. The longshoremen were on strike for awhile.
Oh right.

That.

Hell I can probably borrow a paddle board.

I bought that one from pinkbike guy. I think I'm good. But if raceface is actually selling these and not just making fat bike ones, I need to cancel the week I had planned of doing everything humanly possible to shame that company.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
so two weeks before the boat they need gets unloaded?
Ha ha, some companies had given up on the "two weeks" thing and just said the ETA was unknown. Getting components lately has been a PITA. And, it's probably going to take awhile to unload the backlog of ships. But, at least they're back to work full time, hopefully.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wait, what? I thought the SixC stuff is made in Canada? They use ships to get them down to the US? :brow:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The 83mm axles are not listed as a part number on cool kids order form so not sure they're available.

The carbon portion of the cranks are made in BC, but not so sure about the axles. I did hear talk that all the carbon bits get shipped from BC to overseas for decal/paint/final finishing/packaging and then back to BC.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Ha ha, some companies had given up on the "two weeks" thing and just said the ETA was unknown. Getting components lately has been a PITA. And, it's probably going to take awhile to unload the backlog of ships. But, at least they're back to work full time, hopefully.
Well, at least your frames aren't sitting in a container box, bobbing around a harbor. Assuming there's no commercial shippers strike, you guys are golden

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Commence humiliation campaign.................
I thought I would have a look to provide a part number, with the number it might come up better in a search. The list is a little old, so it might not be up to date and accurate, but the Sixc 83mm cinch cranks themselves are on it.

Maybe they just don't expect many people to be from 73mm bikes to 83mm bikes?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Rhetorical question but you do realize the cinch system is only interchangeable within the Next/turbine family? Ie SixC is a different cinch interface, because RF didn't want people using std cinch spindle for DH/FR with SixC arms.

I've been able to get spindles direct from RF but haven't had to get an 83 yet.
I'm only seeing 73mm or fat bike spindles through US distributors.

Here's one on PB:
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1699782/
That pinkbike ad is wrong. You can't use a cinch spindle designed for next/turbine with SixC arms. SixC arms only work with SixC flavor cinch spindle. Reason given to me by RF was pretty obvious...they don't want DH/FR users on the std cinch spindle.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Rhetorical question but you do realize the cinch system is only interchangeable within the Next/turbine family? Ie SixC is a different cinch interface, because RF didn't want people using std cinch spindle for DH/FR with SixC arms.
At least they used a different name to differentiate them.

Is there a way to get a bigger spindle on some sixC cranks?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Another rhetorical question: What's the point of making an 83mm spindle for XC/AM applications?
Yeah it does seem like these should fit their dh friggin cranks doesn't it?

It's going to show up and my friend will have his cranks off his bike. I'll see what happens.

edit: The guy with the ad said they came off some sixC dh cranks. Are there versions of the sixCs that aren't dh cranks? This really shouldn't be a thing. Enduro is fucking up my life again.

Last edited:

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014

Whoops.

If everything fits I would have no hesitation running the spindle on my bike.

Unfortunately, there is zero posted information regarding compatibility between different Cinch systems. This is first time I've heard of different axles for Sixc vs Turbine. Who knows. Time to get in touch with RF.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh hell yeah, that's rad^^^

I have a new goal in life. I broke a square taper spindle off once and only got a torn rotator cuff. If I can do that^ AND break a plastic crank at the same time...........I'm going for full spleen explosion! Maybe even an eyeball sticking out from the head trauma.

I'm sure that spindle will be fine fitment-wise. I just spent a bunch of time looking at all the versions of sixC cranks and the recent ones look like the same system which is what you linked to. Thanks for the heads up!

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Yeah I made some phone calls and traded emails w/ raceface on this general topic, partly because of questions I had about installation / chainline options. Going in I assumed 'interchangeable' meant interchangeable, but quickly realized my error. RF guys explained (this was several months ago) that they had gotten behind on technical documents and dealer education materials, gave some sincere apologies, etc. I also had a set of the Turbines -- nice cranks but be aware of the secret fact unmentioned by 'professional' reviewers that the q factor is wider than the Next (so depending on what bike this is going on and your personal preferences, that may be a good thing or a bad thing).

btw be careful when torquing on the alu retaining bolt. I think it's rated 37 ft lbs; my wrench had somehow changed settings, and I broke the hex bolt. I asked RF if they'd thought of offering a steel retaining bolt option and they said Nope.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh hell yeah, that's rad^^^

I have a new goal in life. I broke a square taper spindle off once and only got a torn rotator cuff. If I can do that^ AND break a plastic crank at the same time...........I'm going for full spleen explosion! Maybe even an eyeball sticking out from the head trauma.

I'm sure that spindle will be fine fitment-wise. I just spent a bunch of time looking at all the versions of sixC cranks and the recent ones look like the same system which is what you linked to. Thanks for the heads up!
I bent a first generation Saint crank arm once. I have no idea how my legs didn't explode.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's impressive. I think I still have a pair of those in my garage. They're like 10lbs each.
The pair in question was down to about 9lb because I'd scraped so much off them on rocks (they'd spent years on my old Draco, which had like a 12.9" BB on a full blown DH bike.) :rofl:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I trust you guys realize SC addressed the crank arm/pedal strike issue over a decade ago

Note the drop stem as well, which I believe is something you're a fan of. FWIW, I've been trying to get mtg to design a different shock mounting position in the Megajizz which substantially raises the BB for improved sight lines and pedal clearance. I'm suggesting that he call it "Nostalgia Mode".