Quantcast

AM bikes with 150 rear end?

SCARY

Not long enough
Since I'm done with MX,I need another way to train.Usually, I just use my DH bike for xc rides.But now,I'm gonna concentrate on upping the cardio even more,once can ride.

I've had xc bikes before and rarely rode them after I switched to DH .I honestly don't enjoy it very much,but I'm gonna give it a go again and see if I can make something out of it.

The reason for the 150 rear is that I'd like to transfer or use as much as spare stuff from what i use on my DH and I am planning on building up a super light,race run only wheelset and just use it on the am bike when not racing to save a bit of money.

(Just looking for a frame)
I know the Uzzi has a 150 ,but I wonder it that bike is too close to a DH bike or what?Still would like to be in the low 30s if possible.

Last edited:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
No they aren't made anymore. But if you can find a 6 point that would be a much cheaper option to getting into the am bike crowd. Especially since you said you aren't sure if you will like it. You can probably find a 6 point complete for the price of a new frame.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Intenses site says 135 rear only
DirtMcG is talking about the old SS which had the same replaceable DOs like the Uzzi/Socom/M3 of that era.
The bike on the Intense page is the new SS2. But the new Uzzi VP is supposed to replace the SS2 and it has G3 DOs that you also can get in 150 mm.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
I do pretty much the same thing with my 7pt for daily riding and Sunday for DH for the same reason. Its helps allot having two bikes w/ similar platforms and parts that you can swap back and forth when you need to.

I see your in AZ, I lived out there for awhile when going to school. I was out there visiting in February at my friends place who lives at the base of SoMo and spent a week riding there on my 6pt (this was b4 i got my 7). To me that bike or a 7pt is an awesome choice for AZ. It pedals great and can handle the rocky sections easily. The only time it felt like i had too little bike was when we did shuttle runs.

Al

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
If you don't care about not having a warranty try to find a 6-point. 150mm rear end and 83mm BB, so everything from a DH bike should be compatible. I picked up a new '08 frame 2 seasons ago for $500 and built a disgusting trailbike out of it. The thing just rips.

SCARY

Not long enough
The uzzi is a pretty capable AM bike. They pedal much better than a SS I'm not surprised you don't find XC riding fun on a DH bike but a big AM bike is a different story.
I generally don't care for xc,period.It's just not fun,so I'd rather take my dh with a dropper post and at least rip some of the fun stuff.That's what I meant.I don't have the mx anymore to take up hrs out of my week and should replace that time.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The Last bikes as brought to your attention in the first post are supposed to be great descenders and absolutely rip. DIRT mag ****ing loved the Last Herb AM because of its dh orientated geometry, sounds like a good bet.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Anyone in the US carrying the Last bikes? I'd love to have one someday.

And SCARY, how about a hubset for your race wheels that can do 142-150 spacing conversions? Then you could look at all of the new 142 spacing bikes out there, which would really open up your options for frames!

King is the only I know can do the 142-150 swap, but I'm sure folks here could help you find a bunch more

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its the original SS with the 150mm drop out. They had both 135 and 150.

And if you want, I'm selling it.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to accomplish.

You say XC isn't just isn't fun for you, but you're going to build a heavy, awkward bike to make it even more annoying on the climbs?

XC means different things to different people. An XC for me (where I live) means a sustained climb, then lots of downhill to finish. To do that type of ride, I have my bike as light as I can stand, but with serious tires, flat pedals, and pretty slack geo. (Trance X slacked out to 66 HA, 13.25 BB)

Since I see you're in AZ. I really don't have any opinion on what the terrain is like there, so until you start with that all you're going to get in response is a hodgepodge of opinions on bikes from people who don't ride where you ride...

SCARY

Not long enough
Climbs are annoying no matter the bike.I understand most people aren't going to be as honest and pathetic as me.You don't need to worry about getting into my head.I wasn't asking for opinions on purpose.There are too many bikes out there and too many opinions,thats why i was very specific about what i wanted.I am,at this point,looking for a longer travel am/eduro type bike with a 150 rear.That's it.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
By longer travel do you mean 6 inch? or 7 inch? A 6 inch bike is much different than a 7 inch. I have ridden an Iron Horse 7 point(7 inches of travel) and a Yeti SB66(6 inch travel), and if you are wanting to hit some uphills as well as downhill I would say a 6 inch bike like the SB would be what you are looking for. The SB does not have 150, I know this, and judging by other peoples suggestions I would say the Iron Horse 6 point is a good bike. Iron Horse is out of business now so there will not be a warranty, on the flip side you could get a used frame extremely cheap. I would buy the newest/best condition you can find, obviously. I am familiar with the DW suspension platform, bikes I have ridden with that are the 7 Point, Sunday, and new Turner DHR, and find it performs/suits my style really well. No seat time on a 6 Point but have only read good things about them. Best of luck.

Quick search on the buy/sell section of the dreaded Pinkbike left me with unfortunate results. 1 frame-only and it was sold, and 2 complete bikes that were sold. Here is the link to the frame-only so you can get idea of what you get for the money. I have to imagine that there are others for sale somewhere on the interwebz.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1079358/

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Dude, i want details on your Trance X.

I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to accomplish.

You say XC isn't just isn't fun for you, but you're going to build a heavy, awkward bike to make it even more annoying on the climbs?

XC means different things to different people. An XC for me (where I live) means a sustained climb, then lots of downhill to finish. To do that type of ride, I have my bike as light as I can stand, but with serious tires, flat pedals, and pretty slack geo. (Trance X slacked out to 66 HA, 13.25 BB)

Since I see you're in AZ. I really don't have any opinion on what the terrain is like there, so until you start with that all you're going to get in response is a hodgepodge of opinions on bikes from people who don't ride where you ride...

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
I think the Uzzi will fit the AM bill for you. It suppose to pedal fairly good, and bomb back down. Also Im not sure about the rear, there's the Canfield 'the one'.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
what headtube does the trance x have? what was the stock head angle?
Depends on the model, but this one and the newer alloy frames use a tapered 44/56 head tube. On paper, Giant claims the stock HA is 69.5... Pretty sure that's with a 120mm fork. Add about 30mm of travel with a 1.5 kit and this is what you get. Mine's closer to 66.5, but I round down. :rolleyes:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
the uzzi is really the bike you are looking for. REAL 1.5" headtube so if you're into that angleset fad you have a TON of options, 150mm rear drop outs (but you're not stuck using only that), adjustable travel and geometry, proper seat tube geometry (the SS is not a bike you sit and climb on), and proper amount of travel.

the frames are competively light, even with their stock build kit they weigh low low 30s with tubes...the rear triangle is comparable to an M9, V10 etc in terms of lateral stiffness. if i had known how sick of a bike they were going to be, i probably would not have bought a new DH bike last season....