Quantcast

Alpinestars Knee-Shin Guards

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I've seen a ton of pictures and videos from a few different seasons of Greg Minnaar wearing some mysterious alpinestars knee/shin guards. What style are they? I know the top part over his knee is the slip thing, that is in the catalog. I'm interested in the plastic shin piece. It definitely know it isn't the moab, because his only has the strap down by his ankle. They look like they don't slip around at all, and he has been running the same style since 2007 (in F1rst) so they must work.

See here:
http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/greg_minnaar_sea_otter.jpg

Also page 12 & 13, Polc and Minnaar
http://www.alpinestars.com/catalog/alpinestarsmtb.htm

I've tried the 661 race ones and they slipped around a lot. I got the smallest size and they were still way too big. I've been using Kyle Straights for a long time but I'm switching over to flats after my knee surgery, so I need more shin protection.

Last edited:

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
They are the Moabs, get them, you won't regret it. They are the most comfortable put on and forget knee-shin guards. They don't twist, slip or irritate.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
only thing is,to be careful to be sure the straps are overlayed neatly for if u bend your leg at the knee, if not done properly, the velcro can scratch and irritate like nuts. It's a very small nitpick, but still. Apparently. Astars have fixed it for 2011.

Other than that, these things are machines.

etabs

Chimp
Jan 22, 2010
Montreal, quebec, Canada
only thing is,to be careful to be sure the straps are overlayed neatly for if u bend your leg at the knee, if not done properly, the velcro can scratch and irritate like nuts. It's a very small nitpick, but still. Apparently. Astars have fixed it for 2011.

Other than that, these things are machines.
I used these pads all season with the padlock at the knee. They are definitely some of the most comfortable shins ive worn, but like capricorn said, the straps need to be properly placed or they irritate the back of your knee a little bit.

Besides that they are great pads and offer alot of protection

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It seems that the MOAB shin/knee guards are highly rated, but back to the OP's question: what is Minnaar wearing in those pics? Those aren't the MOAB's.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
They look more like the dianese 3x or similar. But hard to tell with the padlocks.

I replaced my Dianese 3x with the Moabs in the middle of this season. They work pretty darn good. Look a little funky when you're standing up straight, and the velcro behind the knee bend can get irritating to the skin. But once they're on you forget about them. Snug and not too hot. I've worn them under nema race pants w/o issues, too.

The 3x were good, too. A nice lightweight race knee/shin guard. They served their year sentence nicely and were getting loosey goosey. My leg armor usually only lasts a season. I've come to accept that.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I would bet what Minnar used to wear were a 661 product with a Alpinstar knee sock. But he does use the Moab now and he still uses the knee sock as well. It seems to be the hot item now for a knee/shin combo. There are quite a few other worldcup riders using them. Another brand to look into is IXS,they seem to be pushing pretty hard hear in the states latley.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i just got the new Dainese Racing knees to replace my old Evolutions, but was looking at these Alpinestars.....good to hear some of you actually have them and like them.
its always a pain to buy armor and not be able to try it on, since no stores ever stock them

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I haven't seen a single picture or video of him wearing the Moab. In the catalog what both he and polc are wearing only has 1 strap and is completely black. They do look similar to the Dianese one above, but the strap has an astars logo and the plactic is shaped differently. The moab looks like it is going to be very bulky.

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I haven't seen a single picture or video of him wearing the Moab. In the catalog what both he and polc are wearing only has 1 strap and is completely black. They do look similar to the Dianese one above, but the strap has an astars logo and the plactic is shaped differently. The moab looks like it is going to be very bulky.
If you go to the official Santa Cruz website and catch the main picture on the home page showing Minaar then you can see him wearing the Moabs ... you might have to refresh the page a few times to get to this picture as they have several pictures that take their turn.

Last edited:

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I still think the Moabs look too bulky, I don't want the calf wrap. I'm coming from kyle straits so I'm used to not much material. My biggest complaint from running the 661 knee/shin was the fit and the heat, they were so damn hot to hike in.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
To OP, inititally, I too wondered what it was Minnaar in particular was wearing because even though he wore the Astars knee sock, the pads were mostly black, which is not the case with the moabs. I hairbrained that perhaps he had it painted over to all black. I dont blame cos, the little bits of black and white and red is a bit uncoordinated tbh.
That was until I saw the little Astars badge on the lower shin strap.
Maybe's the MOAB FRO :P

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I like my Troy Lee Lopes guards, they aren't too hot and never slip. Had them since 2008 ish whenever they were first released, and I will be buying another pair of them.

But I do love the Astars stuff... BNS supporter here, way better than the leatt as far as comfort goes for me.

Minaar was on the MOAB for 2010. All the other images of the black guard were from previous years.

I came off many different "Kyle Strait" style pads to the MOABs and they feel great. I appreciate a proper knee protector, as the Kyle Strait's are pretty useless in a direct on knee crash into something hard.

I found the shin guard very low profile, and didn't really notice it comfort wise, which is good.

The MOAB elbows work very well too, I have always struggled to find decent elbow guards that don't fall down.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Here is a left Moab in action. Its like the pads are formed for legs already bent at 90*. Which makes it look weird when straight. But I think it makes it fit better that way. PLus I do think the sticky stuff on the inside does help it stick to your legs.

Attachments

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just ordered a pair of the Astars moabs. Knees and elbows.

They will be replacing my POC elbows and Lopes knees.

The Lopes are great, until you crash. They need a strap above the knee... The velcro, it does nothing!

As for the POC elbows, they're great for impacts, but if you're going at speed, they move. They "form fit" the ground and don't allow you to skid/slide. They then fill with gravel shred you. Mind you, mine are a year old, and getting a bit loose. They'd be better if they had a strap below the elbow.

Yeah, I'll be upping my Stormtrooper score, but I'm okay with that. Hard plastic FTW.