Quantcast

All Mountain Stem length?

Oct 8, 2003
Im 5'9 and ride a med. Specialzied enduro. I was riding with a 50mm sunline stem its great for everything but xc it is just to short for riding cross country. For me to like cross country I have to be able to have fun coming down the hills. Keeping in mind I really want it to feel as much like a mini DH as possible while still being able to climb up some hills with out killing my lower back.Think a 65mm would help much or would I have to go to the 80mm to really make any difference? thanks for any advice

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I'd even run a 50 depending on your top tube and torso measurements. AS tight as you can go and still climb semi comfortably- it's that simple for me.

Oct 8, 2003
I have a 50mm and was not semi comfortable thats why I was thinking the 65mm. I think my bar height might be contributing to the problem. When the seat is at proper height for pedaling, (I don't think you will hear this too often) I think my bars are TOO LOW. I already have 1.5in rise, does anyone use 2in rise bars for all mountain??

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I have a 65 mm Easton Havoc 25.4 pm if interested.

50 mm is perfect for dh w/ any tt length. Anything else....longer or shorter is a compromise imho.

that being said I am rockin a 70mm Thomson w/ 28" Azonic's on my am bike which i have found works the best for me at 6'2" riding a relatively small 24" top tube. I wish I could rock a 50 stem, but it's just not feasible for uphills and slow techy /tight stuff, possibly with with wider Sunline/Gravity/Burgtec bars but our XC trails in the PNW get pretty tight for bars over 28".

spalm12

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
For me 70mm is just right; might be able to get away w/ 75mm but not the most common size. If your looking for light weight and very nice craftmans ship i would take a look at the Thomson's. I would also recommend Hope , a little litter than the traditional 25.4 Thomson as well.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I like 90 for all mountain, 0 degree rise.....tried 70 was too short, too cramped, lost leverage on climbs.....

Oct 8, 2003
I am beginning to be more interested in bar height, anyone have any numbers center of bar to ground for their AM bike? Im 5'9 so im sure that comes into play on bar height and stem choise I also run 28mm wide bars. My fork is adjustabe 110-140 I usually like to keep it around 120mm when riding xc.

Oct 8, 2003
I think I will just try a 65mm thanks for the help guys, if anyone has bar heights im still interested in those numbers.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I'm 6'6" tall. I run 1.5" rise, 28" wide, Race Face Diabolus bars, 70mm Race Face Diabolus stem, with a 130mm Manitou Sherman fork, on my Kona Hoss Dee-lux, that I use as my AM/XC bike. Works perfect in climbs, and can still tuck in corners. Very stable when flying off stuff, or ripping down hills.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Hmmmm blaming it all on the stem, are we now?
haha.....i have long arms and long legs for my height.

Might try the 70 again, didn;t have it on there too long. Still think flattish cornering and climbing will suffer a bit.........which is how you spend 95% or your time on an AM ride.......

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I was surprised at the difference 15-20mm in stem lenth can make. See if your LBS has some stems to try out for size until you find one you like.

Jun 8, 2014
I'd even run a 50 depending on your top tube and torso measurements. AS tight as you can go and still climb semi comfortably- it's that simple for me.
I have a reasonably long back and wondering what kind of top tube measurements you think would suit a 50mm. I tried it on mine and it felt like I was really trussed up on the uphills. Maybe this is something I will get used to, but it feels quite unnatural

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Nice thread resurrection. Started in 2007 with 70mm stems for All-mounting... right now in 2014 it's called Enduroing and I use a -25mm stem.

In 2019 the stem will be behind the seatpost and the bars will be wider than the bike's wheelbase.