Quantcast

Alchemy's New MTB

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
12017720_10153708973793128_546553114425552687_o.jpg

Looks like Alchemy is entering the "ENDURO" market. Those of you that are not familiar they are one of the few bike makers that does Carbon in the USA. They have won multiple awards over the years for smaller builders at the NAHBS. They make insane road bikes. I am waiting to hear on the geo it looks slack here but they will have more out soon about it. MSRP is gonna be $3700....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

They do custom GEO on their road bikes. Wonder if you can get them to do it on this...

I have not ridden a new YETI no clue what they feel like.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i knew it was the same guy, so I don't know why I thought he had to bypass his own patent. Creative stuff from the sotto group no matter how you slice it.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i knew it was the same guy, so I don't know why I thought he had to bypass his own patent. Creative stuff from the sotto group no matter how you slice it.
Particularly interesting as, according to the article, he was also the one who developed IP pertaining to the VPP link at Santa Cruz, then went on to Yeti to develop the Switch system, which allegedly failed to sufficiently circumnavigate the Santa Cruz patents, hence Switch Infinity. Guess he's hoping he's done a better job circumnavigating those patents this time around...

hmcleay

i-track suspension
Apr 28, 2008
Adelaide, Australia

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
^This.
There are a few other pics on google images showing the area in question.

If that's the case, then it's the same as this design (with different shock actuation):
http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/new-suspensiony-things.272450/#post-4049994
So that was the one this reminded me of... Good catch, I couldn't put my finger on it. I guess the patent litigation would go between Currie and Earle this time. For some reason I recalled Earle as being involved with the Speedgoat bike. Now I know it wasn't the best reason at all...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Well, probably not an overseas catalog frame with a slight mod if it's made here in the US, but it seems to have other retardedness going on.

On a related note, this DVO stanchion is goddamn delicious.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
About the similarities between Alchemy and the SpeedGoat proto, this was taken from DirtRagMag:

DirtRagMag said:
The axle path moves rearward for about 90 mm of the suspension’s travel, which Currie says is right on the sweet spot. Currie says the leverage rate follows a sine curve, almost like a VPP suspension, going from 2.55 to 2.46 to 2.6—a minor rising rate then a minor falling rate. Currie says he has it finishing with a falling rate to counteract the naturally occurring rising rate inherent in air shocks.

SDet

Monkey
Nov 19, 2014
Boulder Co
Well, probably not an overseas catalog frame with a slight mod if it's made here in the US, but it seems to have other retardedness going on.

On a related note, this DVO stanchion is goddamn delicious.
Seems odd that they only make the front triangles here...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Ok, you win...let's talk about "~" shaped leverage curves again.

Which, now that I look at the similarities between ~ and the LC, maybe it approximates a suspension in that it goes up and down. So yeah, take that SCB marketing team and your S shaped axle path!

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah, not ideal - however if you look at the actual change it's ~10% from top out to sag, same with bottom out. It could be a lot worse. The new Bronson is also much more linear overall then the previous model; slightly less unrideable I guess.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, not ideal - however if you look at the actual change it's ~10% from top out to sag, same with bottom out. It could be a lot worse. The new Bronson is also much more linear overall then the previous model; slightly less unrideable I guess.

It's all rideable given todays shocks but it's just sad that for the huge amounts of money we pay for our silly sport some companies don't bother to do basic suspension theory research (or high school physics tbh). Still looking at SC and Intense how is the VPP patent phrased? It seems very strane that all of their leverage curves look like a tit. I want to be nice and think that's because they don't want to infringe on other pantents and their is somehow limited to tit shapes.