Quantcast

ahh! my bearing!

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
okay, the other day at big bear i flipped my bike (giant dh comp) to fix my flat and noticed that the bearing that connects the teardrop link to the shockmount link had blown up and there were balls and rings everywhere. now normally i'd just order a new one from my lbs and be done with it, but that is gonna take a week to ship out and i leave for mammoth in 3 days. what should i do? i already searched my house for random bearings that might fit, didn't find any. and im going down to an industrial supply place tomorow to look for a matching bearing. unfortunatly giant is almost impossible to contact so im out of luck finding out the specifics on this bearing. i really dont know what to do, help me please!

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
It's a cartridge bearing? knock it out, take it to a bearing supplier, you'll get what you want and cheap too. I have no idea why people buy bearings through the bike manufacturer, it's insane how much hassle you have to get a small part when you can just get one over the counter from a bearing supplier within minutes.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Hungry_Hank said:
okay, the other day at big bear i flipped my bike (giant dh comp) to fix my flat and noticed that the bearing that connects the teardrop link to the shockmount link had blown up and there were balls and rings everywhere. now normally i'd just order a new one from my lbs and be done with it, but that is gonna take a week to ship out and i leave for mammoth in 3 days. what should i do? i already searched my house for random bearings that might fit, didn't find any. and im going down to an industrial supply place tomorow to look for a matching bearing. unfortunatly giant is almost impossible to contact so im out of luck finding out the specifics on this bearing. i really dont know what to do, help me please!
Give this guy an email: johndoiron@sbcglobal.net. His name is John and he knows where to get the bearings... he got me bearings in 2 days for my Giant NRS when mine started going down the drain. Have the dimensions of your bearings in hand. He will need inner diameter (ID) x outer diameter (OD) x width measurements in millimeters or decimal inches. Maybe he could help you out of your jam. :thumb:

Hope this helps dude!
-CAbiker

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Rik said:
It's a cartridge bearing? knock it out, take it to a bearing supplier, you'll get what you want and cheap too. I have no idea why people buy bearings through the bike manufacturer, it's insane how much hassle you have to get a small part when you can just get one over the counter from a bearing supplier within minutes.
Not to mention that the bearing in the industrial supply store won't say, Made in Taiwan. Unless maybe you live there :confused:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Go to the bearing supply store, you can usually buy higher grade bearings than what came on the bike for super cheap. There is nothing magical about bearings you get from a bike supplier, except the markup. Just bring the toasted one, they'll measure it on the spot.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Bearing markup example 696zz bearing for Atomic Labs Trail King Pedal:

From Atom Labs: $3

From bearing shop: $0.25

This is also called highway robbery.