Quantcast

? about the Spank Spike pedals

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
im really thinking about buying these, but just curious if the center section or the area near the bearing feels uncomfortable at all. or is there anything you guys dont like about them.

thanks

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
They are great. The section near the bearing is not an issue at all, your foot does not get that close to the crank. Look at other pedals, most of them have a 1/2" of axle in that spot.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
how much do those pedals run for? im looking for something flat and spikey like that.. HOPEFULLY under the 80$USD mark.... i do not like my saint pedals

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They are horrible under foot, I can't stand them!
The New Specialized pedal looks good and is hopefully serviceable unlike their Bennies pedals.
I doubt they will be under $80 though

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
The New Specialized pedal looks good and is hopefully serviceable unlike their Bennies pedals.

horrible? care to elaborate?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i've got 3 sets of the spanks (long story, teething issues, spank took care of me) - 1 on the wife's bike and 2 in the parts bin waiting for me to decide what to do with them. guess a classified ad or two is in order.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i've got 3 sets of the spanks (long story, teething issues, spank took care of me) - 1 on the wife's bike and 2 in the parts bin waiting for me to decide what to do with them. guess a classified ad or two is in order.
do you not like them or what?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
do you not like them or what?
i did and didn't. i didn't like that it took 2 axle revisions to keep them in one piece on my bike. i did/do like the pedals once they were reliable but by then i'd already found others i liked just as well so i just stuck with them. i ride my wife's bike on occasion and they work great - no issues.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i did and didn't. i didn't like that it took 2 axle revisions to keep them in one piece on my bike. i did/do like the pedals once they were reliable but by then i'd already found others i liked just as well so i just stuck with them. i ride my wife's bike on occasion and they work great - no issues.
what axle problems did you have?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
what axle problems did you have?
the first version of these pedals had a horribly designed axle retention system which caused them to unscrew as you were pedaling. the second revision had another issue which i can't recall right now. the 3rd time was the charm and what they are using for current production.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
horrible? care to elaborate?
I've only ridden them on a friend's DH bike, but by the time you have the width of DH crankset then you have to put your foot 15mm or so further out so you aren't standing on a bulge it just feels ridiculous! I end slapping my foot down anywhere so these things are not for me.
The Speshi ones look a lot better and force your foot in to the correct position, I'd still go some lower Q factor cranks like the E-13's though, Saint's/Zee are stupid wide already.

The DMR Vault is the nicest feeling pedal I have used but it may be a bit thick and a bit over your budget.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
the first version of these pedals had a horribly designed axle retention system which caused them to unscrew as you were pedaling. the second revision had another issue which i can't recall right now. the 3rd time was the charm and what they are using for current production.
yep. I had to deal with that too. they eventually got around to sorting out the issue. Took forever. Would not recommend.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have two pair.
One of the second generation - the problem is that with some shoes - the soles can squeak.
Third generation - no problems

One pair on the DH bike, the other on the trail bike.

No issues with traction, Q factor, foot placement, or axle bulge. (Shoe size is 11 - 5.10 impact 2 low).

The only reason to go to something else, is to try some new shaped bling.

Happy Camper.

Last edited:

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
im on Saints right now, i think foot placement will be better on the Spikes anyway...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah Saint's are horrible pedals, they are cheap but that's all they have going for them.

I like the Bennies because they are a full concave and you can just slap a foot down anywhere and they are cheap. I pretty much just ride a hardtail now and your feet come off the pedals through rough bits so not having to worry about getting my foot perfectly placed is a big plus to me.

I mainly ride a hardtail so your feet get booted off the pedals a bit

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i like the Saints, a lot actually, i just want something lighter, and thinner. im on a hardtail as well

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I only got onto these in the final generation (current) and rate them very highly. The axle/bearing system has been flawless, platform area very big, and quite durable thanks to being forged. I've been running the Ti axles so can't speak for the steel ones, but nothing has come loose, and I've whacked them into a lot of things now.

There is no axle bulge to feel at all in my experience, the place where the bearing sits is at a place where you can't really put your foot on a normal pedal anyway as the picture you posted shows. I definitely didn't feel any bulge @ size 11.

They're a much better pedal than the Saint in any case so I doubt you'd be disappointed.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
im not sure if its suspension set up or something but my saints seem to roll underneath me in really rough stuff..... and finding that sweet spot with your shoe and pedal is tough.. maybe its cause of my Tevas hah

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I did not like the spank's, a buddy had them on his bike and they just felt weird, his also bent the axle fairly easily, they didn't seem super durable.

I have since switched to clipless since then. But I was running and my wife is still running a pair of VP Vice pedals, they went through a full season of DH racing underfoot for me and were flawless. We have a second pair as backup that came on a bike we purchased used, they too have been flawless on one of the trail bikes. $20 for a rebuild kit. $70-90 for the pedals, they are nice and slim, fairly light, and durable.

I rode the saints for a week on a rental bike in BC and I did not have any complaints with them.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I bought a pair of the Spike pedals about a month ago and then promptly rode them for a week in Colorado. You do have to be slightly cognizant of foot placement or you can catch the edge of the bearing bulge, but that pretty much was not an issue after the first day. I also noticed the flat body does feel a bit different than a concave body pedal at first, but again unnoticeable after a day of riding. I haven't had them long enough to comment on bearing or axle issues, but no problems thus far.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I had the first generation and they would squeak like mad, then I upgraded to the third generation axle and everything worked well, then I sold them and got Canfield Crampon Ultimates.

I rate both pedals very highly, I like the Crampons more because they are a bit thinner and lighter but both work equally well.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
I bought a pair of the Spike pedals about a month ago and then promptly rode them for a week in Colorado. You do have to be slightly cognizant of foot placement or you can catch the edge of the bearing bulge, but that pretty much was not an issue after the first day. I also noticed the flat body does feel a bit different than a concave body pedal at first, but again unnoticeable after a day of riding. I haven't had them long enough to comment on bearing or axle issues, but no problems thus far.
not trying to argue with you, but for anyone out there who hasnt seem them in person yet, they arent truly flat. maybe this pic will help.... the center pins are a bit lower. again, not trying to be a jerk

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
not trying to argue with you, but for anyone out there who hasnt seem them in person yet, they arent truly flat. maybe this pic will help.... the center pins are a bit lower. again, not trying to be a jerk
No problem. To me, when I see the terms flat or concave I am looking at the aluminum pedal body and not the pins. The pins do play a role as well, but it's mostly the body that is supporting your foot/shoe. The Spike body is flat, especially when compared to the Tioga MX Pro pedals I had before. On each, the pins are about the same diameter and height, but I could feel the difference. I did not install the two pins at the end of the axle on my Spike pedals to follow your train of thought and use the pins to shape the surface, but I'm not sure how much it matters. With 5.10 Impact shoes, I don't need the extra grip anyway.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
"I did not install the two pins at the end of the axle"

i took those same pins out of my Saint pedals, and cant even tell theyre gone. guess theres no reason to put them back in

thanks

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone know the bearing size for these pedals? I can't read the inscription on the seal.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA

actually a great deal of these have been recalled. might want to look into it. I love my spanks and wasn't really all that fond of these....a bit small to be honest.