Quantcast

A shoulder.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I have taken a rocket-sled backward from rehab on my shoulder, two race weekends in a row had me opt out racing this weekend. Was having terror-pain in my shoulder, forced through the race the previous weekend, but the time off was pretty painful.
An old friend hit me up on FB over the weekend, is back on the bike after separating his shoulder after 3 months. Stoked to see him feeling good and also seeing that he's being in the cycling industry as a major-player (plays wicked drum too).
If I have to endure this pain I will have to elect surgery which is a permanent routine change. Concentrating at the gym and don't ride the almost-big bike at all I wonder what results I will gain. Doing rear-deltoid stretch & rear deltoid muscle building has worked wonders while at the work place, alot of heavy lifting and extended range with both arms. The wettest June on record keeping trails closed also helped me progress. Commuting to work 14miles every day the weather permits has been easy on me.
May be at the beginning of the end of my mountain riding however unless I achieve positive results.
Has anyone had success with PT on a Labral Tear?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Neighbor (A former big time softball pitcher...brings it @ 89 mph, 7 different pitches...) is rehabbing a recent labrum surgery. She is miserable, but every day she iget better and happier. She says she will be ready to terrorize the mens league again this fall.

Surgery is a drag...I am contemplating a bone spur/achilles tendon bit now. Finding the time to do it and properly rehab is a drag.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Having done an hour at the gym this AM, I feel problem muscle groups strained at onstart finding better comfort and better strength. Repeating this 4-5 days a week reduced the pain and increased stability, nite & day improvement. Since unable to race for a Plate in the local series now, I may opt out of riding all together - focus on getting well.
Sucks chocolate dipped donkey, much better than unseasoned donkey. bleah

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Shoulders are rough. My issue is lingering paralysis and hyper-reflexive reactions. I've got no advice other than to find a copy of the book Pain Free.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Have been in serious pain the past couple days, my Gym routines have stopped working. SERIOUSLY going to weigh surgery. Sucks Orange Julius, I like my job but the environment is so small and the work is exclusive, there's no way I could logically sap payroll, collect disability, and return to my position after 1 1/2 to three months, and be productive during 6 months of required light duty in a sling.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I had surgery to reattach the biceps tendon. The first two months really sucked. Lots of pain and stffness just trying to get the flexibility back that was lost from having my arm in the steel fixator for four weeks. Once I got past the flexibility issues, rebuilding muscle strength was fairly easy. No issues since then and that was 6 years ago

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Work buddy tore his shoulder labia flipping tractor tires or some such shit at his (savagely ghey) crossfit gym, and like you, he tried to avoid surgery via PT and getting fat. Finally pulled the trigger on the knife, and his reaction was the same as Splats - should've done it way earlier. It did apparently suck for the first couple weeks, but he got back up to pretty full range of motion and strength surprisingly quick. As long as you're able to beat the bishop with the good arm, I'd say go for the scalpel (and you can be gainfully employed at some point soon after you're on the mend).

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Physical Therapy is productive in my book, if there's the lone-alternative to keeping me riding along this applica' which'd shoved the pain away other times I'd love it. After posting this AM, picked up my dumbbells and crushed nasty shoulder sets before work - was sick and tired of being sick and tired. ....and, was somewhat better all say at the workplace.
Knowing how when and where my shoulder became unstable (trail work exercise - not a crash lol) I have to wonder if this is truly a surgery-remedy only or a cumulative effect of the injury.. Doctor was unable to asses without expensive set of tests and up till two race weekends in a row was feeling jolly well amped to continue riding.

Or is this it - the volte-face of serious injury. Always, always have had PT fix me up and the up/down back/forth of late with resistance exercises is so new to me and, painful.