Quantcast

9mm Havoc to fit 12mm Maxle

mboland002

Chimp
May 12, 2011
I just purchased a 2010 Easton Havoc AM wheelset, I stuipdly only went by the length measurement for the rear wheel forgetting that I had a 12mm Maxle on my bike in the rear.

I called Easton and for that year there is no available end cap that will convert it to accept a 12mm axle, the only one they have is for 15mm.

Are there any 3rd party companies that may manufacture a part like this or any other means to get the wheel to fit the bike? The bike is a 2010 Giant Reign x1.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
To my knowledge, Easton only has the 15mm conversion and nothing else. You might have to bite the bullet and get the hoop re-laced to a different hub. Or get a different rear wheel altogether.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, there are a lot of mixed up dimensions in this thread.

Standard QR front wheels use 9mm axles. Other front axle options are 15mm and 20mm. The Havoc wheels can be converted to any of these sizes.

Standard QR rear wheels use 10mmx135mm axles. Easton has a kit convert the Havoc to a 10mm bolt on axle instead of QR, which I just installed in my Havoc wheels last night. The Reign has a 12mmx135mm rear axle. Some rear hubs can accept this size, but the Easton Havoc hubs are not one of them. There are no other options for this hub. I was thinking that it may be possible to just drill out the whole axle to 12mm and not use the bolts, but I don't think there is enough material to do so.

The Havoc wheels use 24 spokes so it's not really possible to re-lace the rim to a different hub. The better option would just be to return the wheels if they will not work.

The stock wheels on the Reign X1 are pretty good, why are you replacing them?

mboland002

Chimp
May 12, 2011
I've been looking into this for a bit now I think I'm going to end up selling them and getting another wheelset. I am replacing because I had my tires really low pressure over winter and hit a square angle rock after a drop and put a flat spot in my rear rim.

I saw that the 2011 Havoc has a 12mm adapters, anyone know if that will fit the 2010? And thanks for all of the advice everyone, but brand new bike and brand new wheels, I'm not going to be machining or drilling anything. Haha.

Last edited: