Quantcast

650b maxxis combos?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
So I've always preferred Maxxis tires and on my trail bike I like running a narrower tire in the rear..After switching to 650b I feel somewhat limited on my tire combos due to what widths Maxxis offers

Lately I've been running a 2.4 HR2 front with an 2.25 Ardent rear..The Ardent isnt my favorite tire..it rolls descent but the stepped sideknobs wear out pretty quick..on a tire with beefier side knobs Ill usually wear down the center knobs first which I dont mind as I like a drifty tire in the back but still like some meat to catch the end of a drift...On the Ardent the side knobs are usually the first to go...with how blown out and loose the trails are currently the tread pattern actually works well but Id like to try something else..

Would like to try a Minion up front with an Ikon in the back but the Minion is only offered in 2.3 and the Ikon in 2.35

Art's Cyclery has the "actual widths" listed but the Minion in 2.3 is one of the skinnier tires in that width..According to that I cant even run a HR2 in 2.3 out back because it's slightly wider than the Minion..same with the Ikon

Basically I'm stuck running a 2.3 Minion DHR2 in the rear or the Ardent in 2.25

What are you Maxxis guys running?? Dont really want to go the Schwable route..thinking about the new Spec semi slick out back but Im not sure about the 50a compound lasting too long..usually I get about a month-month and a half out of a rear tire which is about 18-25 rides so the fact that the folding exo 60a HR2's and Ardents are 20$ cheaper is also nice

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I've been running an Ardent exo 2.4 front, with a hr2 exo 2.3 rear.
On my other bike I was running the same Ardent up front with a dhr2 exo 2.3 rear. I think the hr2 and dhr2 were comparable in size. The Ardent is definitely bigger. (the dhr2 got destroyed during an enduro race so I didn't get actually use it enough to have a good opinion on it). I'm now running a bontrager xr4 team as a rear.

By the way I tried out a schwalbe as a rear tire and even with the pacestar compound it was gone in a month. The center was still almost new, but the side knobs were completely annilalated.

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I've been running a 29er trail bike for a while, so limited tyre choice has been my world. I can't seem to go past hr2 front and either ardent race or beaver rear. I can't seem to corner my trail bike hard enough to worry about the side knobs being a bit undersized on hr2, but I notice it in the Dh bike.

The ardent race has a pretty narrow window of awesome, but it's wider than a crossmark or any of the semi slicks. I can't recommend it highly enough, but it won't take deep dust/mud. But that's exactly what you would expect. When conditions are near perfect I run it front and rear and it is amazing. It's a better tyre than original ardent in just about everything. I'd be keen to try dhf and ardent race, I haven't because last i checked the 2.3 dhf wasn't available in 29 in Aus and the 2.5 is a huge great thing.

With no beaver in 27.5 I guess you are stuck with hr2 or dhr2 for when you need a more aggressive rear.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
HR2s 2.4 front 2.3 rear.
Just pulled the trigger on a DHF/DHR combo..Its so loose right now around here I feel the HR2 isnt the best choice up front right now..Prob going to be bummed with the extra drag on 2500ft pavement climbs though..

hate feeling limited on my tire choices and I really dont want to run continentals..The protection sidewall might as well be a steel belted radial on my truck and Ive seen quite a few have problems with them ballooning up on one side although the trail king/x king combo is pretty damn good traction wise I must say ..

hopefully maxxis steps it up and re-releases something like the bling bling in 27.5 or a bigger DHF in exo at least
Id love to see minion side knobs with larsen tt centerknobs in 27.5..feel like they are falling behind a bit lately which is strange

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Well I just snagged 2 of those wtbs. For the price I'll give them a try. Probably not till winter though. Supposedly a few local guys have been running these for the enduro races and have been pleased.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've been waiting all summer for the WTB Breakout 2.5 to be released but it's been pushed back to Nov. Looks bigger than the 2.4 HR2. Supposedly just over 1000g with a pretty burly casing. Lots of big grippy looking knobs but Marco Osbourn says it rolls pretty well and he used it in lots of pedaly enduro stages.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
So I've always preferred Maxxis tires and on my trail bike I like running a narrower tire in the rear..After switching to 650b I feel somewhat limited on my tire combos due to what widths Maxxis offers

Lately I've been running a 2.4 HR2 front with an 2.25 Ardent rear..The Ardent isnt my favorite tire..it rolls descent but the stepped sideknobs wear out pretty quick..on a tire with beefier side knobs Ill usually wear down the center knobs first which I dont mind as I like a drifty tire in the back but still like some meat to catch the end of a drift...On the Ardent the side knobs are usually the first to go...with how blown out and loose the trails are currently the tread pattern actually works well but Id like to try something else

Ever looked at the 2.35 Specialized Butcher control?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've run the Vigilante. It rolls faster than I was expecting, the rubber hasn't grenaded yet and the side knobs haven't ripped off yet. But, I'm not a fan of the staggered side knob layout. It feels similar to a Hans Dampf with the intermediate knobs still there: struggles to grab hard when cornering on loose terrain. I'd rather have one row of burly side knobs and an open channel.
Other than that, its actually pretty good. The Team Issue 650b is the version I've tried.

The HR2 2.3 may be next on my list to try.