Quantcast

650b coming sooner than we think?

kgm

Chimp
Nov 11, 2012
co
Yeah I fully understand the reasoning behind it.

It's alot easier to sell a new & improved thing than just a revamped old thing. No matter what you do to your 26" bike, its just a 26' bike. But this new one is better! I supposedly can fit 650b on my top fuel but with probably zero clearance. I'm intrigued but I also have 7 26" bikes.

I guess I find the "mistake" the industry made in 29er bikes as a more natural progression of market. Whatever, it's just another bike. Did people bitch this hard about 650c dying out?

1" difference does alot, for those downplaying it. Would you cry your heart out if you slapped a 150mm fork on your bike and lost your precious head angle? Stink about it!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Regions definitely have different trends but as a whole 29er sales are up something like 110% from '11 to '12. 26" inch bikes were also up but only about 10-15% if I remember correctly. There were also a couple quotes in one of the latest Bicycle Retailers where shop owners and a couple bike manufacturers said that 29er sales were the biggest reason for having a positive sales year. I think they're hoping to have the same results with the 650b movement over the next few years.

Nearly every industry is cyclical. Moments of stagnant retail sales often have to be shaken up by dramatic changes. In 10 years we'll all be bitching about how they're switching to 675C sized wheels or something...
Reading Bicycle Retailer is like reading The Onion

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We endlessly debate miniscule details here and argue that even the smallest things can make a difference. At the same time, some of you seriously think there is no difference between 26 and 650B? :crazy:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
High-End 26" bikes are already dead on the retail floor, and they have been for a few years in most markets.
Walk into your average shop and try to find a high end 26" bike or part. There aren't any.

That's not a conspiracy, it's just that nobody wants to buy 26" bikes any more.
What planet do you live on??

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
LBS stocks butchers and minions in 26 x 2.5. Also hillbillys.
Yeah, that's downhill, a minuscule segment of the bike market(like um, it doesn't involve pedaling up hills) and not applicable to a discussion about mountainbikes as a whole.

Go drive around Boston and try to find some high end tires, wheels or frames for XC riding(you know, "normal mountainbiking") on a shop floor. Try that in Pittsburgh, Madison, Chicago, Houston, Miami, Cleveland, Baltimore, DC, Columbus, San Francisco, LA- pretty much anywhere and you won't see f*ck all for 26" bikes or product because nobody wanted to buy it any more after it turned out that 29" wheels work better for most riders. The kool-aid is real.

Try to find some 26" wheels at a race too... They aren't any.

It's not that people who don't ride sickgnar DH like the rest of us are "ghey" and have compensatory needs that they're filling by not buying 26" bikes any more, it's that 29" wheels have a lot more going for them for most riders and most applications and that they're easier to sell and ride.

The market spoke years ago about the death of 26" wheels- they stopped selling in considerable numbers outside of Northern Europe years ago.

There are still lots of people who like the positive attributes of 26" wheels(like everyone who has posted in this thread, and me).

Bike companies are saving smaller wheels altogether by pushing 650b stuff out there. It's pissing off some people who don't understand that 26" wheels are dead, but it's not some big corporate conspiracy, it's evolution.

650b wheels aren't 29" wheels. Therefore they are more-betterer for Ridemonkey pundits, even if they don't realize it...

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Moar Oniony goodness...

29er's made a huge splash, they're hoping for a bigger one with 650b.
Oh wow, looks like 26" is dead...with 75% of the market? Where are you people getting these "26 is dead" ideas? Unless 2012 is wayyyy worse for 26 I can't see where that idea is coming from. Just because it's not 100% anymore doesn't mean it might as well be zero.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
yikes some just want to see stuffs as they WANT. 2,25" tires or 2,7" tires it is still about performance you get without being too much bothered. I could stick with old stuffs and rely on fresh tires for time being if im not gonna build new ones.

the reason we are talking is how to get prepared in case tire manucaturers stop offer 26" tires in small scale for even smaller scale of bike market as DH. Probaby a few years later.

thats all. As some mentioned word " EVOLUTION" . we get tapered forks, new types of BB, new geometry etc. etc.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ramble ramble rant ramble
try finding a high end pair of 29er wheels next time you're out. High end stuff doesn't sell, or rather it doesn't sit on shelves. It's usually custom ordered and goes right on a customer's bike. No reason for crossmax anything to collect dust.

Very very very very very few shops stock high end parts. The LBS in question is one of them, and they have very high end, very small market tires in stock ready to go. They also stock Tracer29s and Nomads. Wait a second, did I just say they stock high end 26" bikes? Don't get me wrong, they sell and stock fat bikes and 29ers as well, but most of their wall was covered in 26 last time I was there in the fall. But I thought you told me I was wrong? You can't possibly stock high end mountain bikes, like a bandit 26 anymore, because 26" is dead.

Better tell the most successful LBS in the Boston area.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Bike companies are saving smaller wheels altogether by pushing 650b stuff out there. It's pissing off some people who don't understand that 26" wheels are dead, but it's not some big corporate conspiracy, it's evolution.

650b wheels aren't 29" wheels. Therefore they are more-betterer for Ridemonkey pundits, even if they don't realize it...
So "evolution" is gonna make my 2, 2 year old, $7k DH bikes worthless? Wow, sounds like the bike industry is really customer focused. Why would anyone ever invest in a MTB again if they get burned like that? How is that NOT a conspiracy? That sounds EXACTLY like an antitrust violation and collusion.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Apparently Bill Murray has in fact signed on for ghostbusters 3
I hadn't heard that but am not sure how to feel about it.
I'm a little nervous that Murray is going to fall victim just as almost all the other 80's comedy stars have fallen, doing comedies "the whole family can enjoy."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So "evolution" is gonna make my 2, 2 year old, $7k DH bikes worthless? Wow, sounds like the bike industry is really customer focused. Why would anyone ever invest in a MTB again if they get burned like that? How is that NOT a conspiracy? That sounds EXACTLY like an antitrust violation and collusion.
Yeesh. Seriously? We're talking about a bunch of companies independently trying to sell similar products. They will compete with each other on price and features, and consumers will benefit from that competition. How is that an evil conspiracy? Where is the intentional effort to limit competition or fix prices to screw the customers?

Your current DH bikes are losing value every day. They are also further from the cutting edge every day. That is true regardless of wheel size. If you like them, keep riding them. Did you really think of them as an investment that would hold value? Do you buy computers that way?

Sorry but this conspiracy stuff is just ridiculous to me. Sure, bike companies want to sell bikes and certainly some of this is about creating a desire for things people don't already have. But consumers remain free to decide that their existing bikes are good enough if that's what they want.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Oh wow, looks like 26" is dead...with 75% of the market? Where are you people getting these "26 is dead" ideas? Unless 2012 is wayyyy worse for 26 I can't see where that idea is coming from. Just because it's not 100% anymore doesn't mean it might as well be zero.
26" front suspension includes $260 entry-level bikes.
Even those are going 29" over the course of the next 2 model years.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
WANT. 2,25" tires or 2,7" tires it is still about performance you get without being too much bothered. I could stick with old stuffs and rely on fresh tires for time being if im not gonna build new ones.

the reason we are talking is how to get prepared in case tire manucaturers stop offer 26" tires in small scale for even smaller scale of bike market as DH. Probaby a few years later.

HD casings are coming a lot sooner than you think.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Need a sandwich?

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Word on the street that BMX bikes are going from 20" wheels to 22" wheels by 2020.
The 24" wheels are just to big.
That's what I heard.
VM

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Need a sandwich?
Yes, because I'm a little b*tch, and I can guarantee you it will be a LONGGGG time until I find a production 650b bike with an 18"+ reach.

And no, I'm not an idiot who thinks my DH bikes are an "investment". I just don't like being forced to spend thousands of dollars on new bikes because they decided to stop making tires for my bikes that they had been making for 10-15 years previously without question.

I don't care what other people are riding. All the idiots in the world can ride 650b for what I care, I just don't wanna be left sitting with 3, several thousand dollar paper weights in my garage.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I don't care what other people are riding. All the idiots in the world can ride 650b for what I care, I just don't wanna be left sitting with 3, several thousand dollar paper weights in my garage.[/QUOTE]

What he said

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So, I went to my LBS on my lunch break today. And I took a look around. It seems I am behind the times. About 80% of their high end (>$1200) MTB's were 29'ers. You jerk-asses were right! I realized I've become one of those old men wishing for simpler times, riding old school bikes, complaining about young kids and their technologies. :(

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
So, I went to my LBS on my lunch break today. And I took a look around. It seems I am behind the times. About 80% of their high end (>$1200) MTB's were 29'ers. You jerk-asses were right! I realized I've become one of those old men wishing for simpler times, riding old school bikes, complaining about young kids and their technologies. :(
That just means that particular LBS was a ****ty one.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wait.... There are companies that compete within markets which are over saturated and commodity based and they are adjusting low hanging fruit variables and marketing compelling stories as a means of establishing a profitable business ... color me surprised!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Wait.... There are companies that compete within markets which are over saturated and commodity based and they are adjusting low hanging fruit variables and marketing compelling stories as a means of establishing a profitable business ... color me surprised!
It's easier to just stick a DW sticker on it.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That just means that particular LBS was a ****ty one.
That is my shop asshat, and if the floor wasn't mostly 29'r, nothing would sell. Your opinion doesn't reflect retail reality. I don't own a 29'r and don't plan to, but saying a shop is **** for having them is ignorance.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Looks at full suspension 26 and 29 numbers (you know... Basically all high end bikes these days).

Certainly not dead, but being brutalized non-the-less.