Quantcast

5.10 shoes or Clipless?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Kind of a weird comparison..I know,

I was recently thinking about trying out clipless with a cheap cheap set up, just to see if I like it before I spend the big bucks. I was thinking about it, and the thought of being clipped in for me seems comfortable if you get what I am saying, I rarely dab my foot down, and when I do, its either becuase I am going to crash or its at a time when I didn't need to.

I would be using these for dh and trail riding, Ive been told its a love/hate thing, is this true? I ride flats on all my bikes but was wondering if the switch from flats to clipless is hard or time consuming...Do your feet feel stuck in? Is it hard to clip in and out?

Fill me in so I know a little about this...

Also, If anyone ahs an old beat up set up, let me know, I need some pedals with cleats for real cheap, and if anyone has a size 13-14 shoe then I would take those too.

Thanks,
Later, Dan

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
if you havnt ridden the 510 shoes before then definitly try them before going to clipless. Their amazing, just have to get used to them their pretty scary at first. IF your feet do move, just trust them, theyll hold basically no matter what even if your foots barley on.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Dan up until recently I've been riding flats on all my bikes, but once I got my AC going I stuck my MalletCs on there and was pretty much 98% new to clipless. :p After putting in a few days worth of xc/tech singletrack rides on it I can say that I'm seriously thinking of doing dh racing with clipless. While at first they are sort of difficult to get out of in time, once you get used to it its pretty easy. The only problem I have right now is consistantly getting clipped in quickly, might just be because my Mallets are still breaking in, or cuz its just a characteristic of them. YOu might as well try it, its worth it in my book.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
I prefer flats with 5.10 shoes. Pip3r put it well, 5.10 are so sticky that you just have to trust them. Think 3/4 off the pedal and still more stable than a skate shoes.

Your bike and riding style also has alot to do with the flats vs. clipless. If you like picking up your rear end over things, and bunny hopping, clipless make it soo much easier. I still ride XC and pedalier courses with clipless, i just feel more comfortable on flats now.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Sherpa said:
I prefer flats with 5.10 shoes. Pip3r put it well, 5.10 are so sticky that you just have to trust them. Think 3/4 off the pedal and still more stable than a skate shoes.

Your bike and riding style also has alot to do with the flats vs. clipless. If you like picking up your rear end over things, and bunny hopping, clipless make it soo much easier. I still ride XC and pedalier courses with clipless, i just feel more comfortable on flats now.
I do like hopping things and being able to control my bike, thats the whole reason I switched to a lighter and less traveled bike coming from a V10.

Keep the opinions coming!

Dan

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
A lot of it simply comes down to personal preference. My DH bikes have always had flat pedals because I'm generally lazy and like to hang a foot out around corners. Clipless pedals do make a big difference on trails/courses that have a lot of pedaling involved, being able to pull up and pedal in circles instead of just mashing down gives a bit more power, and you have the ability to pick the bike up a little easier. But there's always the chance that you'll lose balance in a weird way and won't be able to pull your foot out in time to avoid going down.

It's worth a try, if you already have a good set of flats though, the Five.Ten shoes are the way to go.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
klunky said:
oO this is OT but why is it called clipless? surely flat pedals are clipless and spds are cliped?

That shows how old you are. Kids that can't even remember the days of toe clips....

If you are going to do it, go all the way. Trying to save a few bucks on pedals will leave you frustrated and sour you on clipless forever. Buy a set used if you can't afford it. I would recommend Times or the Mallets. I have 2 pairs of both and they are very similar. Some beginners like shimano because you can set them super loose. I hate them cause I'm always coming out accidently.
Good luck.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
klunky said:
oO this is OT but why is it called clipless? surely flat pedals are clipless and spds are cliped?
Ahh, grasshopper. Let's go back to the time before there were clipless pedals. Everyone who wanted to be stuck to their pedals used toe clips and straps, those old school jobbers that go over your foot and cinch down with a strap. That was called being "clipped in." Properly clipped in, you couldn't get your foot out without reaching down to loosen the strap, even in a crash. When Look (road) and Shimano (SPD for off-road) came out with the new pedals, you didn't need the toe-clips to be "clipped in," so they became known as clipless. Interestingly, clipless pedals are actually easier to get out of than the old way of basically being tied to your bike.

As for what to ride, personally I think there is a time and place for both clipless and flats, and I like being able to choose. I use clipless for xc and road - rides with a lot of pedaling, especially climbing, because it's way more efficient - you can pull up as well as push down with each pedal stroke. I also use clipless for super fast bumpy DH. I use flats for jumping, technical freeride/DH, and urban silliness. Once you get used to both, switching back and forth is not a problem if you do it often enough.

Edit: And I must say, I love my new 5.10 Impacts, best riding shoes ever. And after meeting Eric O and a couple other at Sea Otter, I can say they seem like a pretty cool bunch of guys too!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
buildyourown said:
That shows how old you are. Kids that can't even remember the days of toe clips....

If you are going to do it, go all the way. Trying to save a few bucks on pedals will leave you frustrated and sour you on clipless forever. Buy a set used if you can't afford it. I would recommend Times or the Mallets. I have 2 pairs of both and they are very similar. Some beginners like shimano because you can set them super loose. I hate them cause I'm always coming out accidently.
Good luck.
Yeah, you CAN set them up super loose. If you put a set of SPDs on high tension and you are still coming out all the time, something is wrong, my friend. I have used Times and a few others but prefer Shimano's release feel. I have owned 5 or so set of SPDs and all were good. Right now I use 747s, 959s and 647s.

Anyways, making generalizations about what pedals would be better is difficult. Really, the only way to get an answer is to try and see if you like it. I rode flats for DH for the last few years (usually 5.10 shoes, some times Vans Rowley XLTs with Atomlab, Shimano, Azonic or Wellgo pedals) and liked it a lot. I take my feet off quite a bit and like to move on the pedals.

I switched to SPD to get more power and because my feet were still slipping with flats and I hate it when they get out of position. So far, it's been good. I haven't done any realy lift-serviced DH but I did a few jumps and runs and it's a pretty easy crossover since I've used clipless on my other bikes for years. I use clipless for all trailriding and XC riding.

I can get out of the pedals only marginally slower than I can take my foot off of a flat pedal. Yes, it's slower, but usually not so much that it makes a difference. You're pretty much assured to have some falls where you can't or don't get out, but that's just the way it goes. Practicing with them is the key, just like with flats.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I think I might just get a set up and ride/practice and log many hours on them before I take them DH riding.

I am not sure what to look for and what to look out for, The Mallet C's look ideal because they still have the platform, and seeing as how I have a big foot, it might be nice for the extra support.

What shoes should I look at? I wear a size 14 skate shoe with a little room so I guess a 13.5 wouldn't be too bad seeing as how thats the biggest most companys make.

I don't have a ton of money to throw down, so lets be realistic, the Mallet C's on Jensonusa are $60 then for shoes I have no idea which to get. Any help in the shoe department?

Thanks for the help and keep it coming!
Later, Dan

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
JRogers said:
Yeah, you CAN set them up super loose. If you put a set of SPDs on high tension and you are still coming out all the time, something is wrong, my friend.
It has to do with the float. You can set times at 15 or 20 deg. Shimano is like 6. With that little float, I'm constantly falling out.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ok guys, so I am going with Mallet C pedals, And now I need to pick out shoes.

I want the XC/Road style ones, but there is a very limited selection of shoes in the 13.5 and 14 range, if these shoes fit small then I def need a 14 which is also a size 48.5 as show on many sites.

Point me in a direction for shoes, I would like to spend less then $100 for shoes.

Later, Dan

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
what are these 5.10 shoes everybody seems to love? any link to them? anyways i have been thinking about riding clipless for a little while and once i save up the cash i am going to. the mallets are pretty cool pedals those are what i would like if i do go clipless.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Has no one else had problems with smacking the bottom of CB pedals causing them to pop out?

You got to try cycling shoes on. They are made to fit snug and each compnay fits alot different. Specialized makes some really nice XC type ones for around $110. Most of their shoes come in alot of sizes and run alittle big and slighty wide. Finding a last years pair would be great. Not sure if this link will work but the 05 Comp MTB is the one I'm talking about. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=10145 Sidi makes the most sizes and widths but you pay for it. You might get lucky finding an older pair in your size at a shop.

Thought 5.10 only made climbing shoes.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
it just depends on what you ride. For our stupid rocky trails here clipless would almost be a death trap. Flats only for me :)

But for things that require a lot of pedaling and such clipless wins hands down. I love the feel of being clipped in when I'm not worried about falling over or anything. Jumping is cool with them as well if they are jumps you are comfortable with because you can really whip the rear end around with clipless. Plus you can sorta semi-correct a botched landing.

Either way, I just use what's most comfortable in both worlds. You get some good shoes/flat pedals and it's excellent and same goes for clipless. Like stated about, there's a place and time for DH and clipless.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
Spunger said:
it just depends on what you ride. For our stupid rocky trails here clipless would almost be a death trap.
whereas i like the secure feel of clicker pedals in the rough stuff.

for me it depends of the track and the wheather: Usually i keep my feet aboard, no moto stylee for me. So Spd makes sense. But when it's super muddy, and a foot is needed for balance, flats are better. Also when doing more Northshore stuff, at low speed, I put the foot down more often than on an normal DH track : so here come the flats.

doubted between crank brothers and Shimano's. I needed a pair for me DH and one for me FR bike. For price reasons I chose for Shimano. It must be said: their new system works much better than before. Specially in the mud!

5tens may be great but to me it doesn't make sense: i don't wanna buy special shoes for platform pedals, specially not at those prices. I use the same vans that i wear to work and on the bmx, and they hold just fine. If you need special shoes for flats, why not buy clippers then?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I just got my 5.10 shoes this week, and I am forcing myself to trailride in them. I have been a diehard clipless guy for years, and whenever a race course is super muddy, and I have to throw on flats, I am at a disadvantage, because I suck on them. So, I am making myself get used to flats.
I was pretty much able to do a whole trailride with those 5.10's sticking to the pedals. Not once did I get knocked off from bumps. They do there job and work awesome, but it still does not make up for the fact that you have to mentally get used to riding flats. Little jumps that I normally pull up and sail on, I would stay low wondering if my feet were gonna fly off. And don't even get me started on riding over logs with flats. Evidently, I normally just pop my front wheel over, and use my clips to lift the back end of the bike over logs. That method don't work with flats. So, yeah, it is gonna be a learning curve for me. I think most of it is mental though, and I just have to learn that those shoes are gonna stick.

To the original poster, I would get the Mallet pedals, and a pair of SPD skate shoes like the 661 Launch. Reason being, if you are used to riding flats, and you can't get clipped in , you can actually ride the mallets like they are flat pedals. They stick very well.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
BadFastard said:
5tens may be great but to me it doesn't make sense: i don't wanna buy special shoes for platform pedals, specially not at those prices. I use the same vans that i wear to work and on the bmx, and they hold just fine. If you need special shoes for flats, why not buy clippers then?
you miss the point... don t knock stealth rubber till you try it... i was very skeptical as well... after a few short rides on the old 'intense' shoes i was hooked... unbelieveable...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
bballe336 said:
what are these 5.10 shoes everybody seems to love? any link to them?
http://www.fiveten.com/product/index.htm

High or low, pick your color as long as it's black. Best riding shoes ever IMO, and they're not that expensive compared to other good shoes.

These are not skate shoes, they are purpose-built for riding flat pedals on a bike. The sole is a super sticky rubber originally created for rock climbing. To me the sole also feels stiffer than a skate shoe, so I don't get that bird-feet effect of curling around a perch.

All that said, the best rubber in the world will not help your feet stick on the pedals unless you have decent technique, creating downforce on the pedals by pulling up on the bars when needed, getting behind your pedal axles at speed, etc.

EDIT: Get them at www.go-ride.com. Support the people who support our fun.

bikeninja

Chimp
Mar 1, 2004
Santa Cruz
I've never ridden clips, always flats and i felt that i had a bit of a disadvantage racing compared to the clipped in guys so i got a pair of 5.10's last month. they are awesome. they work so good, way better than any skate shoe. i'm so glad i didn't convert to the dark side and buy some clipless shoes. if Rennie and Hill can do it, so can i...sort of (not quite that fast). besides, dirt jumping is much more fun on flats.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Bikebro said:
Has no one else had problems with smacking the bottom of CB pedals causing them to pop out?

i think this would be just about impossible (except in theory).

lets say you smack the pedal down hard. your weight would be right on top of the pedal and your foot is going to stay put. the pedalsdo not release forward or back ward, so even with the springs pushed open your foot can not go forward or back. you would have to have your ankle rotated to actually release... and just about any pedal would spit your foot out if you bottomed the pedal out on something big with your foot rotated out (your own weight shifting would unclip you).

also keep in mind you are moving FORWARD when you hit something with your pedal. on the mallet system, hitting the bottom of the retention system on the bottom in a forward impact withh push the lower retention system closed. making it even harder to get out.

so unless you are dropping 20 feet to flat, and falling straight down with no forward momentum, with one foot up and the other down (most people land with their pedals level), and your foot rotated out almost to the release point.

i rode them all last year, smashed (and i mean smashed) my feet into everything and they never once released in a manner in which you are worying about.

and dan, to answer you question.... it is worth a try. that is the only way to know for yourself. rather that going by what other people tell you will work for you.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I tried flats and just couldn't jump. I like being attached to the bike. I suppose if I would have stuck with it longer, I would have gotten it but I love clipless. I use them for everything, even skinnies.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Thanks for all the help guys, you have been really helpfull. Today I bought some shoes and tonight I am going to order some Mallet C pedals. I bought Pearl Izium Vagabond II shoes, they are nice and wide, comfortable and really stiff and pretty decently priced aswell.

I am going to give the clipless a try, if they don't work out, I am sure I could sell them. But I feel like I will like the set up.

Dan

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Give them a little while to get use to before giving up. I can clip out almost as fast as stepping off of flats. Almost. Good Luck

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
the 5 10 shoes are amazing. They simply turn any flat pedal into a super grippy surface. Thinking about your feet slipping is not longer an issue. you dont have to worry or think about the position of you feet at all.
its like riding a z1 compared to an RS indy but for you feet and pedals.
it is a definate advantage on grip. but its still a flat pedal ... so less power/torque
If your concerned about attachment and not grip (true attachment to the bike) and want more torqe power and dont mind the extra .xxX second delay jumping off the bike get clips.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
on a side note

Oakley quit making the radar flat shoes. (still produces the locks) Picked up two pair at the somewhat local Oakley outlet for 56 a piece and took the last two in my size. :dead:

rocked my last pair for 11 months of riding ,working and casual wear.