Quantcast

5.10 Impact DH shoes - Wanna bring em back...here's how!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Butch,

If you can send me the thread of various websites, stating that the shoe should be brought back, I will pass that along to the Stealth manager and start the buzz about how bad you guys need these shoes. I'm getting requests every day and have started to push that we need to bring these back.

-
Eric Odenthal | Pro Purchase
Dealer Service Representative
Five Ten
1419 W. State St. | Redlands, CA 92373
P.909.798.4222 x30
F.909.798.5272
erico@fiveten.com
WWW.FIVETEN.COM

Basicly, if you want these shoes back..do some all out digging. I found threads on MTBR, Ridemonkey, NSMB, Southerdownhill.com...article on Farkin.net.... if there is more evidence of demand, we should present it.

As I posted in a similar thread, I sent them evidence of the explosion of freeriding and the 3 major freeride parks, whistler, snowshoe, diablo and the need for this type of product. I explained how people snagged up every pair of Intense and 5.10 shoes available once they caught on in popularity. Even told them how tons of Ridemonkey people mistakenly bought every single pair of another 5.10 shoe off Campmore thinking they were the same sole,etc.

:)

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
did Eric give any indication how many "units" they would need to sell inorder for a Stealth Rubber MTB shoe to be apart of 5.10's product line?

Are there really that many rock climbers out there that a company like 5.10 would blow-off growing their business into new markets? Rock climbing seems just a niche' as extreme MTB. I was not involved in DH when the intense shoe was going "strong" so I do not know the marketing or distribution of these shoes. But it seems to me that things have drastically changed in just the last 3 years that I have been in DH/freeriding.

Thanks for getting this started. I'm pretty much good for two pairs of dh shoes per year (me and my brother)

I hope that 5.10 will just dust off the Intense shoe plans and crank em out ASAP, even just a small run. For sure by the spring of 2005. I hope they dont invest alot of time and effort to get these shoes in stock at sporting good stores and other recreational department type stores (REI). Just build a functional e-store and keep it simple and profitable.

my .02!!

joel

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Well, I tired to articulate just that. If anyone else can put together some good evidence to send to him that makes sense, it would certainly help. I notice that every magazine ad I come across has someone wearing a pair of Intense of 5.10 shoes. Rennie's lateset ad, he's wearing a pair of 5.10 Impacts that look brand new.

As for how many sold, The girl at Intense said they "only" sold about 3000 pairs (but stille very single pair) and it took 3 years to do. Granted that doesn't account for the slow growth in their popularity until sometime in the last 1 1/2 years. Maybe somebody can go through all their mags and scan down the tons of photos of riders wearing those shoes and email it to them. That is ALOT of evidence. I don't have a scanner...anyone?

And as I said, getting a nod from the e-tailers like Go-Ride, etc. would be helpful

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Funny I talked to 5-10 two days ago about bringing them back and they said that they had been getting lots of requests.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I would love to see these shoes come back, especially since my current pair is hurting from two seasons of use. 3000 pair over 3 years is pretty poor sales, but I blame that on Intense's incompetence in properly marketing/distributing the product.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's funny, though, stuff that catches on in internet message boards doesn't even remotely come close to indicating what will actually sell on the shelves. We really do represent a very odd part of the DH/FR community. A prime example: I guarantee that 90% of the Marz. 888s sold were sold to people that never had a complaint about their height, and that a significant amount of the Go-Ride and/or Risse crowns sold, were sold to people who read about how supposedly terrible the height was - regardless of whether or not they actually had a problem with it. Yet to read about it on the boards, you'd think that the fork made every bike it was installed on almost completely unridable.

I wonder how many non-emailed requests they've been getting, or requests that don't originate from places like Ridemonkey and MTBR.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'd ask them. With a company of their size, I would say they still have the materials and everything to put them into production. I doubt they threw any of that away.

Has anybody ever noticed if BMX'ers run them? I don't linger on BMX sites or check out the mags. Seems like they would into these things too. Personally, I will buy a pair. I'm going to ride flats this winter on my DH bike just to switch things up a bit and get a different ride feel. Sometimes I ride my Xc bike with flats on trails I've ridden too many times to count...for example (and to tie another thread in)...Kitsuma. I've worked every inch of that trail so many times it's not funny. In the winter, I'll slap on either my hiking boots or my Vans and take a "butt puckering" ride down it on flats. Bent Creek is actually super fun to toss around on flats as well.

But for racing, I can't see me going to flats with my current style shoes. Vans and others I try still tend to sort of slip around on the pedals in rocks, roots, etc. I think maybe riding those Five Ten's would do away with some of that.

Granted, in Pisgah mud and rain...any shoe slips around. :D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The most cost effective method would be to put the Intense style sole on an exisiting 5.10 shoe upper (mtn master, etc). The Intense upper on my low cut model was a sloppy fit. The rubber is where the magic lies.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dan-o said:
The most cost effective method would be to put the Intense style sole on an exisiting 5.10 shoe upper (mtn master, etc). The Intense upper on my low cut model was a sloppy fit. The rubber is where the magic lies.
I'm sure you already know this..but from what I've heard, 5.10 were the ones making Intense shoes (just labeled with Intense branding)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Acadian said:
I'm sure you already know this..but from what I've heard, 5.10 were the ones making Intense shoes (just labeled with Intense branding)
Yeah, I know that. My guess is that the product was specifically designed for Intense though and was not a 5.10 product simply relabelled as Intense. I hate the way my impact fit but the sole keeps me coming back for more.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
funny I love the way my Impacts feel - BUT I had to get them supper snug (almost too small at first) then they stretched and became very comfy. If I would of gotten 1/2 size bigger they probably would of ended up being too big.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I got mine to work OK after adding some Superfeet insoles and wearing the right thickness sock. They're a loose fit and could use a pattern revision to improve them. Plus that leather did stretch a lot as you mentioned. Nothing compares in terms of grip or pedal feel though.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
so which would sell better? the low top styling of the Impact....or the mid-top styling of the Intense? I would assume functionally the Intense mid-top protects better/keeps out mud, etc....but the impact strikes me as a better seller b/c visually it looks better off the bike and around town.

Also, anybody got a picture of all 3 versions? I heard that the most 'stylish" version was an Intense that was Black & White? I've seen the red/black ones and the yellow Impacts, but not those.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
3000 in three years?????? You can go to any race and look in any magazine and always see someone with these shoes on.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
binary visions said:
It's funny, though, stuff that catches on in internet message boards doesn't even remotely come close to indicating what will actually sell on the shelves. We really do represent a very odd part of the DH/FR community. A prime example: I guarantee that 90% of the Marz. 888s sold were sold to people that never had a complaint about their height, and that a significant amount of the Go-Ride and/or Risse crowns sold, were sold to people who read about how supposedly terrible the height was - regardless of whether or not they actually had a problem with it. Yet to read about it on the boards, you'd think that the fork made every bike it was installed on almost completely unridable.

I wonder how many non-emailed requests they've been getting, or requests that don't originate from places like Ridemonkey and MTBR.
Preach on man.
I know a shop here in Greenville that sat on about 5 pair of Intense black and white hi-tops for a couple of years. And those were the best lookings ones.
But for me personally if somebody made that shoe again, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.
I am a total clipless rider, but sometimes when the mud is ankle deep, I gotta throw on flats for a race run, where I am at a disadvantage.
I need to ride flats in the offseason for sure.

But the funniest thing about this thread is that it is being pushed by Butch.
In the 10 years that I have been riding with him, I have NEVER seen him rock out some flats. He will stick to his SPD's in a swamp. :p

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
now thats sending a message to someone. a devoted clipless folower is promoting the rawist flat pedal shoe. intense hope you catch the drift about these things

BRING THEM BACK AND YOU HAVE PLENTY OF SALES

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jeremy R said:
Preach on man.
<snip>
But for me personally if somebody made that shoe again, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.
<snip>
For sure, I'd be interested in a pair as well. I'm under no delusion, though, that the internet bike geek's (which I am, I admit) need to find the latest and greatest product represents the current market demand :D

All of these products serve a great purpose. I'm sure the Go-ride and Risse crowns work nicely for their intended use.. It's very funny to me, though, when people claim that these tiny little niche performance tweakers are going to be "big sellers" just because there's a couple dozen threads on some message boards. If you counted every single person on every single board that wanted a pair of these shoes, though, you wouldn't even come up with a hundred pairs sold - less than 1/10th of one year's sales which were deemed too poor to even continue making the shoe.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i have the red/black intense high tops... they are fuggin awesome... i ll slash my wrists when they die... they have about 60% left :(

i d buy em in a heartbeat... fvck, i d almost swim to china for a pair

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
binary visions said:
For sure, I'd be interested in a pair as well. I'm under no delusion, though, that the internet bike geek's (which I am, I admit) need to find the latest and greatest product represents the current market demand :D

All of these products serve a great purpose. I'm sure the Go-ride and Risse crowns work nicely for their intended use.. It's very funny to me, though, when people claim that these tiny little niche performance tweakers are going to be "big sellers" just because there's a couple dozen threads on some message boards. If you counted every single person on every single board that wanted a pair of these shoes, though, you wouldn't even come up with a hundred pairs sold - less than 1/10th of one year's sales which were deemed too poor to even continue making the shoe.
Ha, yeah no doubt.
When I saw these shoes in that shop I said,
"Sweet, you guys carry these. These shoes are really popular."
I then got a big F U stare followed by an "Oh really?"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jeremy R said:
Ha, yeah no doubt.
When I saw these shoes in that shop I said,
"Sweet, you guys carry these. These shoes are really popular."
I then got a big F U stare followed by an "Oh really?"
Hehehe, of course what they were too polite to say is:

"If they're so fvcking popular, buy 'em and sell the goddamn things yourselves. We'll give 'em to you at wholesale if you just clean the quarter inch of dust buildup off."

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Preach on man.
I know a shop here in Greenville that sat on about 5 pair of Intense black and white hi-tops for a couple of years. And those were the best lookings ones.
I am a total clipless rider, but sometimes when the mud is ankle deep, I gotta throw on flats for a race run, where I am at a disadvantage.
I need to ride flats in the offseason for sure.

But the funniest thing about this thread is that it is being pushed by Butch.
In the 10 years that I have been riding with him, I have NEVER seen him rock out some flats. He will stick to his SPD's in a swamp. :p
I'll probably always race in SPD's but I want to start riding flats during "riding sessions" for a change of pace. Winter shuttles, etc. And I WANT THOSE SHOES!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy/Butch,

You guys kill me. Either you ride flats or you don't. I've tried so many times to ride clips and juts can't do it. You guys say you want to ride flats, but I bet you guys stay with clips, just like I'll stay with flats.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
Jeremy/Butch,

You guys kill me. Either you ride flats or you don't. I've tried so many times to ride clips and juts can't do it. You guys say you want to ride flats, but I bet you guys stay with clips, just like I'll stay with flats.
I raced in flats at Snowshoe, so :blah: !

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
Jeremy/Butch,

Nope...you're wrong there....the 2nd place medal on Jeremy's wall from Snowshoe was courtesy of a set of flat pedals. :thumb:

Me, like I said, I ride flats on my XC bike alot during the winter. It makes old trails seem like new trails and adds a whole different element to my riding.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I emailed fiveten and intense about these shoes and they both pretty much blew me off. I am soooo glad to hear that they ARE coming back. I told them I couldent live my life without these shoes. Not only are they the best shoe ever for biking but they are super stylin.

I loved my first pair.....I think I gave them too much love.

Totally love my second pair (Last pair at our shop so I bought them a whole size too small just because I love them so much)

And of course I bought the style that I dont even like just because of the rubber on the bottom :D

I am actually going to sell these now that I know their gunna make the sweet ones again :D

Mark me down for a whoooole bunch of pairs :love: