Quantcast

22 inches of Love - it feels just right

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Yeah, I know there's not a lot of choice, but I thought it would be interesting to see how people setting up their rides. Digging this 22, and thanks for all the advice I got on here. The 8x28 bars are just right for me. Put on a trusty Dia-compe AD990 to blank cable to mono lever. Expousre seat I picked up in the sales. Couldn't decide, all black, black and blue or red, so thought I'd give white a go.
I'll probably get the new street tyres when they come out, but I kinda like this chunky old school feel.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i'm running my zeitgeist with 4 pegs and a gyro (no front brake at the moment, although i did have it on for a bit). i always used to ride 4 pegs on street for opposite feebles to 180's. i never did opposite smith grinds. i also liked doing feeble stall to 270 out on bank-to-legdes. gyro for the occasional whiplash. tried the odyssey 4X4 8.6" rise 4-piece bars but they were a little too tall and now i'm back with 8"s.

"4-pc is back!" http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224212

and then this is a re-post, but one of my bro's hometown friends built . . . a custom built 22 frame (by Solid) and fork (by S&M).

the WEBBCO 22" http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235898

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
My old one... building up my new Amero. Trail slayer for sure!
Hi Joel, any progress on the Amero? I've been googling the heck out of the Zeitgeist and Amero. I'm hoping you can provide some compare/contrast thoughts.

I'm looking at one of these from a novice perspective. I'm not likely to go big, or need the clearance for whips etc. But I'd like a more nimble geo. A bike that lends itself to hops, drops and manuals. I want to have fun on the way to the pub, then ride home in a more relaxed fashion. Could the Amero do that? Or is it too park oriented.

I sent a question to Faction about availability etc, but I was hoping to be more educated before I sent them more specific questions.

Thanks!

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Hi Joel, any progress on the Amero? I've been googling the heck out of the Zeitgeist and Amero. I'm hoping you can provide some compare/contrast thoughts.

I'm looking at one of these from a novice perspective. I'm not likely to go big, or need the clearance for whips etc. But I'd like a more nimble geo. A bike that lends itself to hops, drops and manuals. I want to have fun on the way to the pub, then ride home in a more relaxed fashion. Could the Amero do that? Or is it too park oriented.

I sent a question to Faction about availability etc, but I was hoping to be more educated before I sent them more specific questions.

Thanks!
I'm going to build mine up very soon. Been busy with work and family, but I broke my pelvis and tailbone on monday, so I've got some free time on my hands for the next few weeks. :)
What I can tell you from people I've talked to who have ridden the Amero is that it's new-school 20 geometry with 22" wheels. Short rear end, longer front, but with the added wheelbase of a 22. My Zeitgeist is long in the rear triangle, which is cool for big jumps, but suffers a tad in "pop" in the park. The new Amero is around an inch shorter in the rear end, so I've been told it's got crazy pop. Sorry I can't give you first hand details, but I trust the guys who I've talked to. Just by putting my Amero frame next to the Zeitgeist, I can tell the bb is higher too, which will make it snappier. Hope this helps.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'd be down to get one of those frames/forks/wheels/tires. Any idea when those frames will be available in the USA?

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
I'm going to build mine up very soon. Been busy with work and family, but I broke my pelvis and tailbone on monday, so I've got some free time on my hands for the next few weeks. :)
What I can tell you from people I've talked to who have ridden the Amero is that it's new-school 20 geometry with 22" wheels. Short rear end, longer front, but with the added wheelbase of a 22. My Zeitgeist is long in the rear triangle, which is cool for big jumps, but suffers a tad in "pop" in the park. The new Amero is around an inch shorter in the rear end, so I've been told it's got crazy pop. Sorry I can't give you first hand details, but I trust the guys who I've talked to. Just by putting my Amero frame next to the Zeitgeist, I can tell the bb is higher too, which will make it snappier. Hope this helps.
Sorry to hear about the injury, hope you heal soon. Was it an epic spill? (And did you catch it on video? :D)

Thanks for the info on the Amero. I'm still rather intrigued by this bike. Is it way low slung? I'd like a higher seat than the current slammed fashion. But I'd hate to have a super long seat post just because the frame is low slung. Any idea of the standover height on the Amero? Iksmudge recently posted the Zeitgeist standover height (centre of crank spindle to where TT meets seat tube) as 9.75".

Keep us posted on the Amero. I know there are more people than me hunting for info. :)

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hi,
bike is not low slung - standover = 9.75" + bb height of 11.6" + approx 1 inch in seat clamp area - so slightly lower than the back wheel in side on profile.
I have my seat raised at approx 2 inches.
Doesn't look weird and feels comfortable - I have 34" inside leg and am 6'2" and sit down comfortably with this without feeling cramped up at all.
It's a weird bike - looks like a 20" but because it's scaled up to 22" wheels there's loads more room, it feels way more stable and like it says - it just fits!

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
Hi,
bike is not low slung - standover = 9.75" + bb height of 11.6" + approx 1 inch in seat clamp area - so slightly lower than the back wheel in side on profile.
I have my seat raised at approx 2 inches.
Doesn't look weird and feels comfortable - I have 34" inside leg and am 6'2" and sit down comfortably with this without feeling cramped up at all.
It's a weird bike - looks like a 20" but because it's scaled up to 22" wheels there's loads more room, it feels way more stable and like it says - it just fits!
Thanks for the extra info.

This is your Zeitgeist your are referring to, right? The BB height you quoted sounds like the Zeitgeist. The specified BB height for the new Amero (according to the Faction web site) is 12.5" (about 1" higher). I'm wondering if that means the seat tube will be about an inch shorter (like 8.5" maybe), which would keep the top tube at about the same place. If Faction decided to go further with the park style, I'm sure it would have been tempting to go even lower. I'd love to know for sure. Pictures can be so misleading.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Yes, I'm referring to my Zeitgeist.
You could try e-mailing them, they are good at answering enquiries.

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
Yes, I'm referring to my Zeitgeist.
You could try e-mailing them, they are good at answering enquiries.
I already sent them an e-mail with a few initial questions. I'm waiting for a reply before I send more questions. In the mean time, I'm trying to better educate myself. :)

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC
Hey Fulltwisting, get any joy with the Faction boys?
Yep, I heard back from Keith. Nice guy, lots of passion for the 22 and bikes in general. He answered all my questions.

The general release of the Amero and the new 36 spoke wheelset is still a few months out, and will be a bit out of my price range.

As it turns out, a Zeitgeist owner here in the US is planning to upgrade and he offered to sell me his frame, fork and wheel set. I have some parts already, so I was actually hoping to go this route instead of a complete. It worked out for both of us. Now I just need a few more parts, so I've begun watching the sales forums. :)

Anyone have a good used Tree 25T spline drive sprocket they want to sell me on the cheap? :D

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Welcome aboard!
I wonder how the Webbco bike will develop. Can't wait to see more 22" bikes come to the fore.

Dec 15, 2010
my little bike company, INDUST just had its first frame produced! Haven't named it yet but its a handmade frame using straight gauge 4130, weighs in at 5.3 lbs and geo as follows:

21.8 tt 12.4 bb 14" rear end and yes it uses a 22" wheel!

Im waiting on tires from faction and Webbco supplied the 36 hole rims for me. I can get you guys some 36h 22" rims from Webbco if you like, not sure on price yet. Anyways, cheers, enjoy!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
my little bike company, INDUST just had its first frame produced! Haven't named it yet but its a handmade frame using straight gauge 4130, weighs in at 5.3 lbs and geo as follows:

Im waiting on tires from faction and Webbco supplied the 36 hole rims for me. I can get you guys some 36h 22" rims from Webbco if you like, not sure on price yet. Anyways, cheers, enjoy!
vernon's a serious trails rider and builder in the austin crew, i am stoked he is fired up on 22's. here's his 22" wheel that local legend bike mechanic/racer flora built:

FullTwisting

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
NC

<image snip>

Neat! I dig it. Sounds like interesting geo. Is it intended for trails and DJ? Are you producing your own forks too?

Keep us posted.

Dec 15, 2010
thanks dude I tried to post that photo twice, and I havent decide on forks yet.
I plan to get some good 26" forks for cheap and let Stout frame company chop em down to fit.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

from Faction's facebook:

"David Yezeirski, New York trails riding his Zeitgeist bike, photo by Keith Terra 2010 We used this pic for the December advert in Dirt MTB magazine."

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
That pic is old... :D

I noticed they took the Amero frame/fork picture off their main website. I don't see many/any recent pics of the built Amero either.

I'd buy one right now if they were available.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
That pic is old... :D

I noticed they took the Amero frame/fork picture off their main website. I don't see many/any recent pics of the built Amero either.

I'd buy one right now if they were available.
Yes, I noticed that as well.
Not a good sign.
Hope they are not going bust.
I have recently bought a model c frame and will be building that up. After that I'll be looking to sell my Faction, not because I don't like it but because I can't afford to run 2 bikes.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
specs?

and where are people getting the wheels?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2010
the specs on the Indust 2-Ton are as follows.

21.7 toptube
13.8 rear end, slammed
12.4 bb height.

the bike feels real nice and its noticeably faster than my old 20". It is way more smooth at all the trails I go to simply because of the taller tire. I think one day we will all look back and laugh at ourselves because it took us this long to get on a bike that fits grown men. No more "kids bikes" no more feeling sketchy on a small bike. Embrace this revolution. It's here to stay.

liquor posted up a photo of myself blastin my 2-ton. Scroll down to Cullen to find it:

http://www.liquorbikes.com/

http://www.rideindust.wordpress.com

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
How are X-up's and barspins on that 2ton frame? enough toe clearance? and what's the head tube angle? looks mellow...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
How are X-up's and barspins on that 2ton frame? enough toe clearance? and what's the head tube angle? looks mellow...
there is a lot of toe clearance because of the 21.7" tt. Vernon actually said he might make the next one a little shorter. the head angle did turn out a little slacker than intended, so that will get tweaked as well.. (although i do like it as is; slack HA's remind me of some of the old classic frames, like the Holmes).

Last edited: