Quantcast

2016 Uzzi

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
I would totally ride the shit out of this clearly-unrideable bike.

Glad they killed the [truly unrideable] 951 and made this instead.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I rented one of those once, God it sucked. It has to have the most fucked up leverage curve of anything mainstream-ish in the last 5+ years.
A bunch of local guys drank the 951 Kool-Aid, so weird.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Zomg. It's not even enduro. It's super-enduro! (At least according to their own marketing...)

But in all seriousness, I'd certainly be curious to try one if I lived anywhere where I wouldn't get lift-access. Sounds like a pipedream.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I can't get over the hunchback TT though. Already looked weird on the Spider 275 (and all Mondrakers).
951 is an OK park bike, supple in the beginning to take out the braking bumps and then progressive for the jumps.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
According to linkage they're about the same.

Total change in the leverage ratio is about the same. The old one hits the highest leverage ratio a little earlier in the travel.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those are definitely not the same.

Numbers matter.
I said "about". They're not identical, but they're pretty close. Plus we're talking about numbers from linkage, which isn't exactly the most accurate thing ever. The differences are probably within the error range of some dude clicking on points on a picture that probably isn't taken perfectly normal to the plane of the frame.

Key points:
  • The Evo leverage ratio starts a little lower (3.25 vs 3.45).
  • The leverage ratio of both increases to about 3.65 around the sag point.
  • The leverage ratio of both then falls off to <1.5 at bottom out. The Evo ends up a little lower (1.35 vs 1.45)
Basically both are going to be really soft early in the travel (plush!!!™) and then ramp up like a motherfucker.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
With all due respect to jstuhlman and dj, I'm surprised they're bothering to update it as I can't imagine there's much of a market for this sort of bike with the advent of some seriously kick ass HAM™ (Heavy All Mountain) bikes. I mean the Darkside seems like a killer bike, but I'd be hard pressed to choose it over a Legend for legit DH stuff or a Spitty/Rune for HAM™ adventures. I get there are some people who basically want a DH bike that is *barely* pedalable up to the top of some epic and gnarly descent, but those situations seem pretty unusual IMO. At least its got a good SA for actually pedaling the thing, but unless I was slowly grinding up a dirt road, that'd be a lot of bike to slog up any kind of steep/rough trail.

But wait, maybe since is an unrideable VPP bike, it will come with a shuttle donkey so you won't have to "ride" it uphill (or anywhere I suppose). :thumb:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
With all due respect to jstuhlman and dj, I'm surprised they're bothering to update it as I can't imagine there's much of a market for this sort of bike with the advent of some seriously kick ass HAM™ (Heavy All Mountain) bikes.
Lyrik is reborn, you need a bike for it. ;)
And Freeride is truly back after all those endubros find out that you can do so much more with moar travel. And now that enduro also focuses on fitness you can't just blame the bike anymore if you suck, so something heavier, slacker, moar unrideable will be needed for an excuse.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I get there are some people who basically want a DH bike that is *barely* pedalable up to the top of some epic and gnarly descent, but those situations seem pretty unusual IMO.
Post second kid I've averaged 2 days a year of lift served riding. I don't like having that much cash tied up in something I rarely use, but I also know from experience that a 6" AM bike isn't nearly as fun on that kind of terrain. I've found that a 7" bike with DH geo is a lot more fun then the AM bike, plus I ride it a lot more often then I rode my DH bike. Hell, last time I rode Mammoth it made all the traverses a lot faster which earned me more runs, and I wasn't any slower on the descents. It also makes a great road trip rig since it can tackle anything.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I was looking more at the change from sag to bottom (call it 70mm in)

OG 951: 3.5-1.4 = 2.1 (unrideable)

EVO: 3.45-2.15 = 1.3 (mostly rideable)

According to that, the EVO goes from 3.6 at 70mm sag, to 1.35 at bottom out. The OG 951 goes from 3.5 to 1.45, so it's actually a little better.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's way too progressive just like some of their other ones but I gotta say........the shape is still better than the mess SC builds their trailbikes with.

Oh my god the Spider. :rofl:

The little tail up at the end of the Bronson is derpy, but it's not actually a big change so it's probably not thaaat bad.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
so what else is out there (relatively mainstream) with it's travel numbers, adjustability - banshee darkside (which just doesn't work as well as an all around trailbike due to bb height, seat tube angle, etc.) and ... _____?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
so what else is out there (relatively mainstream) with it's travel numbers, adjustability - banshee darkside (which just doesn't work as well as an all around trailbike due to bb height, seat tube angle, etc.) and ... _____?
There definitely aren't many. I think a lot of that's because they're in an awkward middle ground of being kind of shitty to pedal very far, but less capable than an actual DH bike.

Scott Voltage FR?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I really would like to hear from joeG about why they do that increasing rate at the top of the stroke. It's on every one of their trail bikes (but noticeably not the v10 which is fucking awesome). It makes the bikes really hang up on the rebound stroke. It's gotta be in the name of increased traction from more wheel pressure or something. It sucks though.

Yes joe that's a softball in case you still read this site late at night :D

No comment on that spider shit.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Specialized Enduro Evo. Though I don't see it on their updated 2016 site, not sure if discontinued or just going to be a late arrival (think that was the case the past couple years?).

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
I really would like to hear from joeG about why they do that increasing rate at the top of the stroke. It's on every one of their trail bikes (but noticeably not the v10 which is fucking awesome). It makes the bikes really hang up on the rebound stroke. It's gotta be in the name of increased traction from more wheel pressure or something. It sucks though.
Wasn't there a pic of a Nomad proto where the shock was driven from the lower link, like a V10? That thing could be sweet.

Anyway.... FREERIDE AIN'T DEAD! :)