Quantcast

2015 Racing Rumours - MTB Musical Chairs

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
That's a real KTM tho... ^

(By real I mean a KTM from the company that has become a motorcycle engineering, marketing and racing powerhouse over the last 20+ years. KTM bicycles - different thing altogether (other than the logo).)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Is that a belt or a chain? Sweet double rotors up front too, which seem silly if indeed its "unstoppable". Maybe poor sales/management and cracking frames are the only ways to stop them.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
^^^^too good. rep given.

on a side note, I read the interview with Manon over on PB, and she says she was worried upon "hearing that Emmeline might retire if she can't find a team for 2015 "...

Does that mean Lapierre is cutting the cord? Seems like a jackass move since she came so close to the overall, has a few wins, and is from the same country as the brand...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yeah, no way my old man sack would get mashed under the saddle during a hard compression. I also like the fact they threw XC parts on it with the saddle and Gank Bros Candy pedals, not to mention the front tire appears to be on backwards - although I guess with the dual rotor set up, you could just flip it around. And speaking of the dual front brake calipers, how do you engage them? I'm assuming its like a some moto set ups, which I'm also assuming has a split in the brake hose to serve both calipers (apologies in advance for the dumb question)?

Clearly this thing is just a concept model, but it is interesting to see them using the effigear drivetrain and the asymmetrical swing arm - although I have a difficult time imagining it could be as still as a fully triangulated swing arm.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Look at those Hutchinson Cougar tires. An apt name, considering that this bike was super hot about 10 years ago.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That is a disaster.

Does it even have a caliper on the left side of the fork? Or just a rotor? It's hard to tell from those pictures.

The only thing 2x rotors/calipers on the front says to me is "They decided to spec such shitty brakes that they needed an extra one"

But at least it only has one rear stay, so when you get a flat you can change it without taking the wheel off.

Hell yah innovation, I'm sure that the other stay was just a waste of space and didn't do anything important.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, it looks like there are two calipers. I wonder if the seat mount is water bottle mount spacing. Then you could replace it with a flask holder, and riding it wouldn't be so bad.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
But at least it only has one rear stay, so when you get a flat you can change it without taking the wheel off.
Also excellent for Gwinning down on the rear rim.

I remember when the bike industry used to get excited over stuff like this. At this point, Sunn should just focus on making a bike that doesn't break mid run.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
No need to stop now. With chainstays that long he would be unstoppable!
Now that you mentioned it, holy talido those stays must be over 600mm! A normal bike would have the bb just in front of the shock and this a good few inches further forward.

Rock jesus would be most pleased indeed!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Nah they're not that long, see the thing you're missing is that Sunn is bringing back 24"s. Better cornering and races are won and lost in corners.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Numerous people will look at 2014 Junior World Champ next season, but Loris is not afraid by the pressure. His last two years with the team were great and staying with us looks obvious as Loris has some great ambitions and all of us are really motivated to help him to achieve them.
Google translator, oops I mean 'pinkbike staff' is funny

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
Eric Carter?

I was under the impression that he was leaving, not that he was being dropped. Seems like a dumb move for spec from my outside perspective:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/interview-eric-carters-magic-season.html

Any insight as to why this decision was made? Cost cutting sounds like BS to me...
I would assume the team riders weren't that happy our perhaps some performance milestones weren't reached, even though they finished two and three. Maybe they wanted or needed a first overall

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I would assume the team riders weren't that happy our perhaps some performance milestones weren't reached, even though they finished two and three. Maybe they wanted or needed a first overall
That's pretty silly, gwin without the flat wins the overall.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
That's pretty silly, gwin without the flat wins the overall.
I agree it's silly given their overall placing, but maybe the riders said they didn't like his input. After Brosnans most consistent and best year, it seemed as though something was working. Or maybe they had to free up salary room to sign on some big gun.