Quantcast

2015 New dh rides thread - no enduros because kickstand hates them

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The 2014 thread was fun, so let's do it again for 2015. Post your 2015 rides.

This is my wife's bike.
Medium V-10 650b.
Carbon CC frameset.
Float 40 / Vivid Air
Easton Haven Bars/stem
Sram Guide RSC Brakes
Novatec Hubs and DT Swiss FR570 hoops
Maxxis Tires
Truvativ Cranks
Zee Shifter/Derailuer
Diety Pedals and seatpost clamp to match her troy lee grips (come on, she's a girl it has to be pretty)

It's mostly a stock Carbon C build (but a CC frameset) with a few little goodies here and there.

I'm still waiting on a few parts to finish mine, but it's a similar build.
Large Carbon
Float 40
Vivid air
Anvl stem bar combo
Saint Cranks
hope hubs/fr570 hoops
Maxxis tires
zee brakes, shifter, derailuer, though I am not a fan of the zee brakes and am strongly considering either saints or the guides that the wife has.

No pics of mine yet since I haven't finished it, been focusing on her bike. Bathroom scale has her bike at 35lbs.

bluebits2.jpg
bluebits.jpg

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
id thought it would have been lighter then 35lbs especially with the air shock

edit: what is the diff b/w the carbon c and carbon cc?

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
id thought it would have been lighter then 35lbs especially with the air shock

edit: what is the diff b/w the carbon c and carbon cc?
I didn't expect it to be much lighter, it's inline with the published weights and we didn't do anythingi no to attempt to make it "light" . It's 7 lbs lighter thAn her small tr450 was.

C - affordable mans carbon, slightly heavier layup

Cc- more expensiver, moar lighterer, about 3/4 lb lighter.

Besides that I don't really know

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
After Udi comment, people are going buy loads of v10. No wrong with thread title.
Jokes on them! Ha! Ha! Ha!

The shock rate has been tuned to be less progressive than the previous model, delivering more consistent damping throughout the travel.
Ha!

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/v10

Actually looking at their website, that bb height is high enough that a feller could do some fun things with 26" wheels. Not too stoked on the 'less progressive' bit though. That's what I liked about the old ones. Actually riding them I mean, not looking at a colored line.

Ha!

And those bikes looks sweet! Do you guys have matching skis by any chance? ;)

Last edited:

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
I have a build going..........

Large CC frame 650b
Fox RC4
Fox 40 float
Chris King hubs
Stans Flow Ex rims
Minion DHF f/r
Saint cranks
Dura ace cassette
Easton Havoc carbon bars
Formula Ro brakes
SDG saddle & post
XO shifter/derailleur

Pics when finished.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My 2005'ish V10, which came equipped with the original S shaped axle path and none of the unmitigated mid-stroke wallow that the new ones have...

Believe it or not, a buddy is still riding this thing, even though it now sounds like a knight in full platemail being raped whenever it's in motion.

Kickstand, let me know if you want to trade your crappy plastic bike for this OG classic. The weight will definitely feel like the 450, and therefore better.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
So, is this a thread just for V10 builds as the title would suggest?
I'll update the title for you cupcake :) I really do want to see other builds too! :thumb:
When I shot Kiran in SC his LG was 37 LBS with DH tires F/R...
I expect mine to be a bout 37-38ish, I'm not running anything light, and don't plan to.
And those bikes looks sweet! Do you guys have matching skis by any chance? ;)
We snowboard :banana: But we do both ride similar set ups.

We also had matching tr450's at one time, and both rode 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR's as our trail bikes. It isn't typically done specifically on purpose. The Stumpy's actually happened just by a matter of both of us finding a deal on a used trail bike.

The 450's happened because she was riding my hand me down bike, took my 450 for a run, and immediately went home and found a used one on pinkbike.

The V-10's happened because we're racing with a local team and that's the frame of choice.

In the end, having the same shit makes it easier for me, I carry less spare parts, I'm an amateur mechanic so it makes it easier for me to fix shit only having to learn my way around one bike. Etc.

We sure do get picked on for it a lot though :rofl::thumb:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Sick pair of bikes kickstand. 2 New matching Carbon dh bikes is baller status! Interested to hear how the 650 v10 rides in comparison to other bikes you have had?
You say you snowboard, I noticed you are from Michigan, Mt Brighton?

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
In the process of building a tr500. I got lucky and cracked my tr450 3 weeks from the end of warranty. Gonna be running the 650b wheels again, but this time carbonz. I have a Dorado and an x-fusion metric 180mm. I'm going to try both and see what I like more. I don't race anymore so it is basically just a park bike.

Attachments

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
In the process of building a tr500. I got lucky and cracked my tr450 3 weeks from the end of warranty. Gonna be running the 650b wheels again, but this time carbonz. I have a Dorado and an x-fusion metric 180mm. I'm going to try both and see what I like more. I don't race anymore so it is basically just a park bike.
650B wheels destroy 26" frames! :panic:
You heard it here first!
Sick TR500 frame by the way.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Nice!! I was on a tr500 last season, you'll really like it if you liked your 450. I felt like it was better than my 450, everywhere. And I loved my 450.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle

Needz moar Charger Damperz Shimz OR DVOHHHHHHHHHHSHITYOURFUCKINGRICH

26 is dead, but I bought some dude's DHR who rode it 3 times and gave up. (and for $2500 !!)

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
Have gotten my Intense 951 pretty dialed over the years so I'm prob sticking with it a little while longer. Everytime I ride it, I realize there's no need to "upgrade" just yet.