Quantcast

2014 Meribel WC Thread

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
so I watched the XCE for a bit and cant for the life of me understand why they use their normal XC bike for such a short sprint event? I mean not even a single dropper post. But they still struggle with very rudimentary obstacles where loads of ground could be taken just from a rider being able to ride more aggresivly on the bike. They cant even sprint full on because the seat is in the way.

Are the XC world really that conservative to try new setups?

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Been racing XC and DH back in the days, I can tell you that there is a significant difference in hitting a section after 2 minutes of rinding at your physical limit or 45 minutes. It's not the dropper post that holds you back (in most cases)... ;)

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Been racing XC and DH back in the days, I can tell you that there is a significant difference in hitting a section after 2 minutes of rinding at your physical limit or 45 minutes. It's not the dropper post that holds you back (in most cases)... ;)
I was talking XCE not XC but the dropper thing goes for the XC. I ride alot of xc/am (mtb) and getting the saddle out of the way is always a significant factor when the terrain goes from acidburning grinds to tech/gnar. On my HT with 100mm forks the seat is all but slammed so I can easier hang off the back so I dont go otb, which alot xc riders seem to do on a regular basis.

Probably didnt make the point clear, the few added grams wont make as much of a difference in how much effort it takes to get around the race course but getting the saddle out of the way when they stop pedaling and ride downhill would make a larger difference. Especially on bikes that have seriously bad geo for going down, I mean a 69 ha is not really confidence inspiring and they usually arent that low either.

To me it just seems like they are just way to stuck in their own world to take advantage of new tech. Personally I can run a normal post as I dont mind going as hard as possible on the up and then chill a min, drop the post and ride back down. Or just leave it down and ride standing the whole way. But if I were to enter any race format but dh I would have a dropper post with the most drop possible. Just because it has been like it is forever dont mean there isnt a better way to do it.