Quantcast

2014 Meribel WC Thread

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
My wild card choice of Bruni is looking good for tomorrow. Also with Brosnan's flat that must close the gap some for Gwinn and the overall, although Bryceland seems to have it sewn up if he can hold on and avoid that which shall remain unspoken.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Dunno, but there's a couple more examples of guys off the back a bit up top then pulling it back by the 2nd split (e.g. Pardal, Neko, Brook).
Yeah, but with every point counting for the overall and Gwin still in it, I would think he would be going all out today. If I'm right, I don't think he would be that far off without an issue. Pure speculation of course.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
FWIW, I think it was suggested in the PB practice coverage that Gwin was crushing some sections but clearly struggling with others. And on a track like this, it seems reasonable that he's right there with Hart, Gee, Bulldog et all at the first split. I think the main issue is Ratboy is just next level at the moment (and obviously Simmonds pulled off a real stormer).

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
It's so cool to see from the last few years that a rider is basically unstoppable if he can get in the right mindset.
This year maybe Ratboy, last year chainsaw and before it was Gwin for two seasons, that was so confident, that it was impossible to beat them.
It really is a mindgame racing DH.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
It's so cool to see from the last few years that a rider is basically unstoppable if he can get in the right mindset.
This year maybe Ratboy, last year chainsaw and before it was Gwin for two seasons, that was so confident, that it was impossible to beat them.

This +1. All traning on and off the bike is just a prerequisite to racing, the actual results from racing comes from finding the best mindset. I doubt there is an vast difference in the wattage any top 20 wc racer can produce for 2-5min

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I disagree with your valuation of proper mindset and confidence. Based on my rigorous analysis of the top riders you referenced and informed RM commentary, I've developed a percentage breakdown of what makes a successful WC racer:

* Preternatural riding skill/reflexes - 1%
* Cardio and muscular fitness - 1%
* Mental acuity - 1%
* Confidence/fvcks given - 1%
* Sipe direction and depth on cornering knobs - 15%
* Anti-skwatz curve - 15%
* Having all suspension settings as firm as possible - 15%
* Rearward axle path - 15%
* Wheel size - 36%

I hope that helps.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Without question. I think the level of professionalism is at an all time high. By that I mean the way people train and prepare, but probably the key element of this is fitness. all these guys have come to understand that they have to bust their ass off the bike to stand a chance and I think everybody has stepped that up, which is why so many are capable of winning right now. As you said, the ability is there and it's the confidence that provides that additional edge and puts someone over the top

I think if this track had followed Mount St Anne, instead of Windham, Sam Hill would be the one with that edge tomorrow. He still may be that guy..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I disagree with your valuation of proper mindset and confidence. Based on my rigorous analysis of the top riders you referenced and informed RM commentary, I've developed a percentage breakdown of what makes a successful WC racer:

* Mental acuity - 1%
* Wheel size - 36%

I hope that helps.
Hack.
Threaded bottom brackets are at LEAST 20%

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

* Mental acuity - 1%
* Wheel size - 36%

I hope that helps.
Surely you can fit that enduro word in there somewhere. Isn't it required in all mountain bike topics of discussion now?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Recalculated breakdown:

* Preternatural riding skill/reflexes - 0.025%
* Cardio and muscular fitness - 0.025%
* Mental acuity - 0.025%
* Confidence/fvcks given - 0.025%
* Sipe direction and depth on cornering knobs - 10%
* Anti-skwatz curve - 10%
* Having all suspension settings as firm as possible - 10%
* Rearward axle path - 10%
* Exceptional laziness ("enduro powers") - 23.9%
* Wheel size - 36%

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Fixed

In other words, ALL the shimz?
In short, your suspension really shouldn't move more than 1-2 mm no matter how fast you're going or what you're riding. Have to stay up in your travel, yo...

I think if this track had followed Mount St Anne, instead of Windham, Sam Hill would be the one with that edge tomorrow. He still may be that guy..
Very interesting point IMO. I agree with you that he may pull off another MSA tomorrow, as he seemingly rode "conservatively" for qualies (6th @ MSA) and then smashed it on his race run.

CANNOT WAIT

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FWIW, I think it was suggested in the PB practice coverage that Gwin was crushing some sections but clearly struggling with others. And on a track like this, it seems reasonable that he's right there with Hart, Gee, Bulldog et all at the first split. I think the main issue is Ratboy is just next level at the moment (and obviously Simmonds pulled off a real stormer).
don't forget, rock jesus might be holding back, waiting to perform his miracle on race day

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
So seems like ratboy even had an off in his run. Bar a mechanical I think ratboy is taking it home, just seems like he's in the flow.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
From that photo it is clear that Bryceland did not have an "off"; he stopped to break dance and is just finishing the "windmill" and mounting his bike.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
From that photo it is clear that Bryceland did not have an "off"; he stopped to break dance and is just finishing the "windmill" and mounting his bike.
Maybe it was a "get-down" kind of "off"? I think I've heard of that.

I guess all anyone can be sure of is that he was "on" for a lot if not most of his run.

My god my sense of humor is getting as bad as that American pie dad...

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
die

Also, "40" gets an 's' at the end.

Then once you do that, die.
I say olde chap, no need to get cross, I was simply pointing out the good Mister Rat might realize some benefit if someone absconded with his 40 imperial ounce flask of ye Auld English and he wore 2 pair of knickers in case one gets befouled during an unintended riding respite.

God save the queen.