2014 GT Fury

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No VPP walla - check
Not a ghey 29er - check
Not a fucking fat bike - check
Not a crabon Demo 8 (with or without enthickened play-doh support clumps) - check
Not a Klein Mantra - check (although distantly related)
Not a 1978 Plymouth Fury - check
Can win you a WC race - check
Is seriously better at teh east coast gnox than your wagon wheeler - check
Udi approved - hopefully
Not this GT:

- check

I'm with Nick, thats a helluva deal and you can go smash the gnur with a proper DH bike rather than your daily driver (which to be fair, I'm sure is quite capable in that respect).

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Are you really gaining "that much" by riding a a Fury over an enduro?

Unless you're racing, or you "only ride park" it seems you've already gone full enduro and there's not much sense in it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Look deeper in my message, it says buy the fury, sell the enduro, get a fat bike, a single speed hardtail, another enduro, two road bikes, and something else with better antisquat

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are you really gaining "that much" by riding a a Fury over an enduro?

Unless you're racing, or you "only ride park" it seems you've already gone full enduro and there's not much sense in it.
DH riding trashes your bike, especially real DH riding at a legitimate mountiain. I think the enduro is probably capable or more than capable, but the components will have a significantly shorter lifespan if it's used as a true dual purpose bike. I don't necessarily think I'll be faster (I was slow when I was young, and now I'm older and fatter), but if I stuff it, I don't have to worry about trashing both my DH and trail bikes at the same time. I haven't gotten that much time on the enduro, all told, but the only damage to it has been a single day at highland....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
DH riding trashes your bike, especially real DH riding at a legitimate mountiain. I think the enduro is probably capable or more than capable, but the components will have a significantly shorter lifespan if it's used as a true dual purpose bike. I don't necessarily think I'll be faster (I was slow when I was young, and now I'm older and fatter), but if I stuff it, I don't have to worry about trashing both my DH and trail bikes at the same time. I haven't gotten that much time on the enduro, all told, but the only damage to it has been a single day at highland....
I hear you.

My brand new DH bike made it 3/4 of one run before I stuffed myself into a tree and threw my bike 20 feet down trail and busted up a shifter and broke a spoke on my front wheel.

On my second run, I dented my rear wheel and cracked the rim.

I was just trying to inject some logic, even at half off, $2k still buys another "DH" specific wheel set and a back up drivetrain.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd rather ride a GT Fury than be waterboarded by a mod of my choice!
Sounds like a great deal, congrats. I hope I'll be able to tag along one of your DH trips soon.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
They are loooong. If you aren't riding full bore DH stuff all the time I'd consider getting a size smaller than you usually ride.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
The 2014 Fury is an excellent bike. I owned one for the entire 2014 season. Everything from east coast stuff to Whistler. The super long toptube gives you a ton of confidence in the steep stuff. If you can get one for 50% off go for it!

My only complaint is the leverage curve is pretty linear so with 30% sag it can be easy to blow through the travel depending on what shock you run.

Read the pinkbike review of it, they loved it!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How tall are you and what size did you go with? The one I'm looking at is a large, and I felt comfortable on it, but the numbers say it's bigger than it felt. I'll probably go with a 30mm stem.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
How tall are you and what size did you go with? The one I'm looking at is a large, and I felt comfortable on it, but the numbers say it's bigger than it felt. I'll probably go with a 30mm stem.
I'm 5-10/11 and rode medium transition tr450/500 and went to a large V-10 this year, the v-10 is marginally bigger and feels much like my mediums did from a sizing standpoint.

Anyway, the GT felt long to me (sat on a large a few times) I'd definitely size down to a medium for my likings. It's as long or longer than my current large and bigger than the transitions were.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I want it to be long. I'm a big fan of long bikes. My yakuza size L was pretty spot on with a 30mm stem. My M/L morewood was too small. My med IH sunday was way too small, I felt. I felt OK with a large demo and a 50mm stem.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
If you like long bikes then the large may work well for you, I like short'ish" bikes.

I only provided some "recent" DH bike geo comparisons to give you an idea to help with the decision. Everyone is different, we're all built different, ride different, etc.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The wheelbase tends to be the limiting factor on bikes like these in larger sizes, if I've got the right number with 1254 for L, then that is very long (49.37") so do take it for a spin to ascertain whether you think it'll work for your trails or not.

I think it's quite easy to physically adapt to longer bikes, especially if you're around 6' or more and have ridden bikes likely too small for a while, but while it's easy to adapt to fit and reach on a bike, it's not easy to adapt an excessive wheelbase to tight corners - for my local tracks I found 48" the hard cutoff before I was being slowed down.

I touched on this with you in PM but figured I'd share it a bit more explicitly now that I've looked at the numbers. For whatever it's worth, on a full 1.5 headtube, works cups can shorten by about 1/4" which I had to do to make my own (size L) bike work for my trails - even though I was comfortable with the original length in terms of fit / reach / stack.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Very good point, part of the reason I typically like "smaller" bikes is because I suck at turning and I am comfortable in higher speed sections, so I need the maneuverability far more than I need the stability.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The wheelbase tends to be the limiting factor on bikes like these in larger sizes, if I've got the right number with 1254 for L, then that is very long (49.37") so do take it for a spin to ascertain whether you think it'll work for your trails or not.

I think it's quite easy to physically adapt to longer bikes, especially if you're around 6' or more and have ridden bikes likely too small for a while, but while it's easy to adapt to fit and reach on a bike, it's not easy to adapt an excessive wheelbase to tight corners - for my local tracks I found 48" the hard cutoff before I was being slowed down.

I touched on this with you in PM but figured I'd share it a bit more explicitly now that I've looked at the numbers. For whatever it's worth, on a full 1.5 headtube, works cups can shorten by about 1/4" which I had to do to make my own (size L) bike work for my trails - even though I was comfortable with the original length in terms of fit / reach / stack.
yeah, the wheelbase will likely get unweildly on some of my local trails, there's not much way around it with a long reach and a slack HA. I'm more worried about feeling stretched out in technical sections or not being able to get enough weight over the front end to not push corners. My skill level is likely below what this bike is capable of...BUT, I haven't yet really felt the brunt of a "too long" wheelbase and reach, my enduro is 17.6" and it's surprisingly comfortable around my local very twisty trails. It's more of a burden rotating the giant fucking wagon wheels from one side to the other than it is to actually steer it around the corner. Hopefully I'll find the same to be true with this thing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
bike came with an upgrade to stan's flows on stans hubs...presumably the terrible jalco hubs were thrown into a fire somewhere.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
bike came with an upgrade to stan's flows on stans hubs...presumably the terrible jalco hubs were thrown into a fire somewhere.

They had serious problems with the original hubs, the brakerotors could fall off (or something equally horrible scenario)
They did a recall if I remember right.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
They had serious problems with the original hubs, the brakerotors could fall off (or something equally horrible scenario)
They did a recall if I remember right.
I remember reading that. It's a pretty nice upgrade to go from no-name hubs and rims to stan's though, even if I would probably prefer a beefier rim for my fat ass.

Congrats to the new bile by the way.
Is that the open bath OEM 40?
mmm new bile. Yeah, komplete without kashima. I don't really care about the fancy ano on the stanchions, but I'll probably look into a new fit cartridge to get adjustable compression and be done with it.