Quantcast

2014 Eurobike Thread

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
some dumb enduro specific helmets, and a mondraker that has a bigger hump than a whale
but first thing that caught my eye was this 10hz damper

"Corratec has used what they're calling an "MDU bumper" at the forward shock mount of their 120mm travel Inside Link 10Hz lineup that is claimed to better isolate the rider from high frequency vibrations, which is where the design takes its name from. But isn't that the shock's job, you ask? That's the exact question that I posed to them, and their answer was that the bumper is essentially frictionless and able to react to small, high frequency impacts much faster than a shock can due to the friction in its seals. They went on to say that it takes a certain amount of force to overcome the friction and pressure within a shock, which results in the tiniest of delays before it begins to take in the impact, and that is exactly what their bumper system is designed to handle."
would a rider really notice that small of a difference?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
all i know is that ska todd got hooked up with a bunch a free scotch and that the giro switchblade was an enduro helmet before its time

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yo dogg...

shock on your shock....so you can...whatever

wouldn't be necessary if they weren't using a manitou damper from 1998.

I dig those transitions though...holy crap did they make a nice pack of bikes.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What is the difference between friction and spring force? An elastomer is basically a self damped spring.

I guess it could work but if you make a track car you normally fit really hard or solid subframe bushes. I guess bikes are so good now that we need some Xzibit type inventions just to keep them relevant.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
What is the difference between friction and spring force? An elastomer is basically a self damped spring.

I guess it could work but if you make a track car you normally fit really hard or solid subframe bushes. I guess bikes are so good now that we need some Xzibit type inventions just to keep them relevant.
The difference between friction and spring force is hysteresis. If you compress a coil spring and then release, it will return to it's original position. Friction converts motion into heat, and after you release from sliding something (eg release the brake lever after slowing down), it does not return to it's original state. There's a lot more to it, but that's a simplified version.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
a lot of 26 inch bikes in this expo. and tires and wheels ans more....
it looks like 26 is here to stay.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world